1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Frog Morton on the Town

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by raisingale, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raisingale

raisingale Member

Just got my first tin of Frog Morton on the Town. Looking forward to applying a flame to it. It sure smells good. Does it burn pretty well? What about ghosting? Guy at the shop was nice enough to give me a healthy sample of Black Shag too. Hurrah!

2. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

Hagbard gave me a VERY generous trade of FMOTT and FMOTB. I prefer the OTT. I find both burn down to ash with minimal maintenance. I smoke it in a cob so I can't comment on it's ghost. It seems like it would be pretty benign though.

3. hagbard

hagbard Member

I have read on TR that all the Frogs tend to ghost. I haven't noticed though. Personally I find that OTT is my least favorite as it's pretty sweet and not too robust. Good tobacco. I have a bunch collecting dust and waiting for it's time to see the sun in a couple years. It burns well with little attention needed and leaves a fine ash. It's a pretty hassle free smoke. Personally I like FM the best.

And what's Black Shag? Sounds interesting.

4. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

Hagbard said it best. It smokes down to fine ash and has a very pleasant smell and taste. I just finished a bowl of FM OTT just now, in fact. It's one of my favorite blends.

I have a few pipes dedicated to it and some other similar English blends, so I don't notice the ghosting, but man... what a ghost to have!

5. raisingale

raisingale Member

Black Shag is apparently part of the McClelland 221B series dedicated to Sherlock Holmes. I've tried the honeydew in that series and loved it. The guy at the shop couldn't stop raving about it. Great, another one to add to my "must have" list!

6. hagbard

hagbard Member

I just broke out a pipe to get smoking and this thread decided me on going with FM. It's been almost a month since I smoked it last and I had begun to forget how much I like it. It's smooth and rich, which is exactly what I like. OTB is very similar but there is the perique there which I think detracts from the richness. The other two are not as rich at all but are certainly as smooth if not smoother. Just opening up the tins and giving a sniff brought it all back to me. Smoking it is a real treat. Maybe the big cool meer I'm smoking it in plays a role in this but even if I take a long deep pull and then inhale it there is little sensation of actually inhaling smoke.
    I hope you enjoy it raisingale.

7. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I like Frog Morton better, but they're both smooth and full flavored although you shouldn't have to worry about ghosting if you smoke it in a pipe used for other Lat blends as most will overpower FMOTTs mellow flavor.

Mington likes this.
  8. Njemt527

Njemt527 Member

Since were on the topic of Frog Morton, what is the room note like? Is it tolerable to non smokers?

9. hagbard

hagbard Member

Who are these people and why are they in the room?

It smells pretty good to me. But then again. I'm always smoking it. :P

10. erickghint

erickghint Member

I've had bad experiences with Latakia blends in the past, but I should be putting in a tobacco order next week at some point, and I think I may try to find a tin of FM. What's the worst that happens? I don't like it and have to let one of you have it? Oh my!

On another subject, Hagbard, is that Toshiro Mifune as your avatar?

11. hagbard

hagbard Member

Sure is! Red Beard!

Hope you like the FM.

12. Twan013

Twan013 Member

I might have to get me some froggy.. is any of it a flake or is it all in loose form? I've almost given up on flakes for the time being. Also, would you recommend me just buy the frog morton sampler pack from P&C? its got the original FM, on the town, on the bayou, and across the pond. What are the differences in all of them? I'm about to head to TR, but just thought I'd ask. Also, I saw latakia mentioned above. The only tobacco with lat that i've smoked was McC's 5110, and I absolutely love it! I think I've seen a review mention one of the froggy's is like 5110, but a little sweeter tasting. That would be awesome!

Anyway, let me know what's up with the frog. Thanks

13. Brian

Brian Member

I like FMOTT. None of them are sliced or broken flake, more like a ribbon cut. FMOTT, I think, is supposed to be more pleasing to other people, hence smoking while "out on the town" with your significant other.

OTT is pretty mild in the Latakia, but I like it. I like a change of pace like that, especially in really hot weather smoking outside.

14. atwageman

atwageman Member

Yep I too love FMOTT. Its a regular smoke for me.

15. raisingale

raisingale Member

You were all correct. It smoked down to a fine ash. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Might have to try the other frog blends now!

16. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

Regarding the "room note" - My wife and grand-daughters all wrinkle their noses at all of the Frog series and leave me in peace. The cat, on the other hand, prefers sitting next to me while I'm puffing on some (especially FMOTT). I guess it depends on which company you want around when you're smoking.
    McC 5110 is (to me) the bulk version of FMOTT. If you like one, you'll like the other. Price makes the bulk taste a little better to me.
    To me they are all good. Hope you have good luck with them too.
    Dan

17. raisingale

raisingale Member

Well, I do love cats! :velho:

18. jgstudios

jgstudios Member

I'll start out by saying that my comment is really aimed at the novice, as well as the aero smoker looking for something really new. I've been on a quest. After sampling well over a dozen tobaccos this month of all different varieties, I took my first puff of FMOTT and knew this is now going to be my number one go-to tobacco. I've smoked for many years off-and-on. Mostly in winter. The briars call to me when the air turns crisp and cold, and all these years I've smoked mostly only one tobacco from my local Stag shop. Boss's Blend was always my choice. This year, this month in fact, I had a revelation, and decided to look for more flavor because Stag BB was not really exciting me anymore. There were times when I just wasn't enjoying it, and seasons when I just didn't take up the pipe. But I got the bug bad this month (Dec 2011), so I've been buying and sampling all kinds of tobaccos. Therefore, I consider myself a novice since my experience with different tobaccos has been brief. I have to say that tongue bite has been my nemesis all month despite trying hard to be a slow and easy smoker. Some tobaccos just burn. Yesterday I recieved my latest order which included FMOTT and I was totally hooked. For newbies or anyone who are not getting the kind of satisfaction they seek from typical aeros and other tobaccos, who are serching for more flavor and that mysterious something that you can't place your finger on, this may be the fork in the road. I say...take it...you will be rewarded with a very seductive smoke. From opening the tin, I got a strong and intoxicating scent of leather, smoke and a feeling of an old sailing ship. Just a feeling mind you, but I was there on that ship with the breeze in my face and the aroma of the old world wafting into my head. Upon smoking, I got spice, leather, smoke, and something altogether mysterious, some say vanilla, but there's a depth to it that I have not gotten from any other tobacco. Is it the basma? Whatver it was, it really got the hooks in me, and I'm pretty much in love with this blend. This is the first tobacco that I can snork with pleasure, without that back of throat raspy burn that I get. This is the first tobacco that, as the smoker, I can trully enjoy the aroma of the smoke as I puff. And it tastes so good. This is the first tobacco that didn't bite me easilly and not at all really. I LOVE this stuff. I have just placed my order for the other 3 FMs. I'm certain that I will be stocking up on this and possibly the other FM blends as the months roll on. I can't wait!!! So now that I've settled on this one, for now, I'm going to smoke this exclusively, and sometime down the road, I'll sample something else. Then maybe I will be able to discerne other qualities of other tobaccos. I've been sampling so many different things, I'm losing my taste for ones that I used to enjoy. I feel like I need to settle in and stick with one thing for a bit and then explore again later.

P.S. Can any of you recommend other tobaccos that are like Frog Morton OTT, or like Original FM? I've heard Boswell - Northwoods might be a good one. Perhaps something a bit stronger, more flavor depth, and just as high or better quality. I really want to go down this path further. Thanks to all in advance. JG.

Preacher1611 likes this.
  19. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

I've been thinking about try some Frog Mortons and after reading this post I definately will be trying the OTT!!! Thanks everybody. :puffy:

20. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I love Frog Morton original. haven't tried the others yet.

An aro smoker wanting to test English blends might want to try Arcadia, also from the 221B series. It has very little if any Latakia, depending on orientals for the spice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.