1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Frog Morton question?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Drake, Nov 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drake

Drake Member

So I am pretty new to the pipe smoking hobby. Been mainly smoking OTC and aromatics. I had just bought some FMOTB, squadron leader and nightcap. I really like the FMOTB and also liking the Nightcap. Im not getting to much from the Squadron leader.... My question to you guys, is there another blend that is like the FMOTB that is highly reccomended? I like the campfire sort of aroma and taste and was just wondering what else is out there as far as the bayou/balkan bend type of blends. I have heard goo and bad about Mississippi... Is this a good blend? Thanks!

jason1977 likes this.
  2. Phatmandu

Phatmandu Member

If you are referring to MS Mud, by C&D it is a good blend because of who blends it IMO, however, if has perique in it, and if you are turned off by that, dont mess with it. I'm not a big fan od Squadran Ldr either, but have enjoyed ALL the Frog Morton blends. Als, if you like Nightcap, you will enjoy Early Morning Pipe as well.

3. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat Forum Guide

Nightcap has Perique, and a lot of Latakia. FMOTB also has Latakia and Perique. So you seem to like blends with Latakia and Perique. Squadron Leader has less Latakia and no Perique, and Early Morning Pipe is another lighter blend with no Perique. If you're "not getting much" from Squadron Leader, and you like Nightcap, you might look at blends that have more Latakia and some Perique. There are many blends with lots of Latakia. Commonwealth is 50% Latakia, and so is Star of the East, but neither has Perique. Pirate Kake is 70% Latakia. GL Pease Quiet Nights is a blend with both Latakia and Perique (Pease's answer to Nightcap). Keep in mind though that as Arkie said in another thread, asking for tobacco recommendations is something like asking which ice cream flavor is best.

4. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

To me, pipe smoking is a simple pleasure, pipe making or collecting is a hobby. I on the other hand smoke every day as do many & for the same reasons. It's an enjoyment & a simple pleasure. The collecting part is the hobby. The hoarding becomes an obsession, thankfully I don't have that problem. In the colonial days, as in early settlements, 1 ounce of tobacco sold for 1 ounce of silver. It was a precious commodity.

Eating isn't a hobby, it's a necessity, but when we do it for fun, it's an enjoyment, not a hobby. lol....that's my take on it anyway. There may be those that would love to debate me or change my mind about that, but I'm not open to changing my view on it, just open to other people's opinions & granting that it'll be done their way for their own enjoyment, however that manifests, which is fine. lol~!!!

In regard to Squadron Leader, it is not my favorite English Blend. I wouldn't say it sucks, but I'd say if I needed a quick smoke, Squadron Leader is that quick smoke & it's a nice light english in a pinch. I prefer The original Frog Morton, G.L. Pease "Chelsea Morning", or the Kansas City Pipe Club "Nocturne". ~Even Cornell & Diehl's "Black Frigate".

Another such campfire aroma you may like is Frog Morton "On the Town". It's an oriental blend w. quite a bit of latakia & the aroma has the campfire note but also has that church incense smell. If you've never been in a catholic church or something similar during easter or christmas, you may not know what I mean. It has that frankenscence smell, I've been told.

5. ravnhaus

ravnhaus Member

+1 for Frog Morton On the Town.
    Sublime.

jason1977 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.