Frog Morton

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by LostDog13, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LostDog13

LostDog13 Yes, I'm a New World Samurai

Frog Morton Across the Pond was one of the first baccies I ordered, and the first that I really enjoyed. I have some of each of the line (except Cellar) jarred or in unopened tins. Figured it was a good place to start a cellar as I explored other blends. It has been a while since I have enjoyed any of the FM line, but today decided to pop the tin of FMC that has been sitting in my wall locker for a few weeks. As soon as I opened the tin I was reminded of why I like this line so much. I'm pretty sure it is the latakia (I'm a noob, so can't be sure) that rises to the top of the tin and smoke that really makes these blends sing. Add to that the whiskey which evolves into a light caramelvanilla, and you have an excellent smoke. Definitely on that TAD list!

I have to ask though, what type of blend would the FMs fall into? They are all similar at the base, but each have subtle differences.

2. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

I believe most folks group the Frogs under the "English" tobacco label.

Mington likes this.
  3. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I consider them sort of English crossovers, I think they're not quite full Englishes, since most of them have some sort of top note. (especially FMC) They are some really tasty blends, some of the first Englishes I enjoyed, and still do. Cellar to me would be on the verge of an aromatic, but with latakia, and is currently the blend in my car.

4. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

I keep hearing about this Frog Morton Cellar, think I'm gonna have to order some someday.

Do the Frogs have that signature McClelland's smell in the tin?

5. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

In my opinion, no. They are a separate breed, so to speak. FMC in particular has a tin aroma that is to die for. Tastes good too. One of my all time favorites.

Coda, psquared and Ozark Nick like this.
  6. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

That's good. I tried some Virginia Woods a while back and that smell really turned me off.

jason1977 likes this.
  7. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

I haven't tried the other Frogs but I certainly like the Frog Cellar. Mighty tasty in my opinion! Next Frog on my hit list is the Bayou.

Mington likes this.
  8. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I agree with Jussto - they are a sort of crossover or hybrid blend. They are all pretty sweet, some have a little topping of some kind I reckon, and none have the nicotine or spice of more "serious" blends. The big hit I get off them is the latakia, sharp in the nose and smoky, but it's calmed by the sweet dark virginias (or even maybe black cavendish) in the rest of the blend. Good stuff, but by the end of a tin I'm usually sick of how sweet they are.

Hartwell's "Chesdin" is similar but one step less sweet than Froggy, and then there's all kinds of blends that take the ideas presented in the Frog series to new heights. FmotB introduces perique, FmotT introduces orientals, mostly basma if I remember rightly.... so you can kind of use the series to determine likely starting points in your tobacco adventures.

LostDog13, Mington and Jussto like this.
  9. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

oh no, I just ordered a 4 ounce tin....never had it & was looking forward to it....

10. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

Frog Morton (in my humble opinon) offers a unique twist as an English hybrid. While not being an english blend outright, Frog is more of an American interpretation of what an oriental pondering, complex, flavorful cool smoke that leaves the pleasure centers of the brain satisfied with flavor with only a mild bit of nicotine could be sans the toppings and casings; allowing the tobaccos to speak for themselves, as well as their curing, as opposed to "squirt...yer a fruit flavor....squirt, yer vanilla flavored..... I like Frog. Frog is good....LOL!

MakDragon and Summit like this.
  11. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

The FM's were my 1st English'es and I fell in love with Lats after that and have graduated to the Lat bombs.
    Lat's are prob. my fav, especially in the winter. :thu:

Trauma and psquared like this.
  12. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

Don't let my experience throw you. Everyone else I know that's tried it has liked it!

jason1977 likes this.
  13. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

oh, I know, lol!!! what didn't you like about it?

14. psquared

psquared DGErwin, my horse would like a word with you...

I believe this qualifies them as a "gateway" toby. You know, start smoking pipe with CB, get a tin of FM and before you know it your smoking 10 Russian's at your kids recital.

Jussto, Old Codger and Mington like this.
  15. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

It was that vinegar/ketchup smell that everyone talks about from McClellands. Very strong in the tin, I believe it also came through in the smoking.

I didn't give it a second try, traded it right off after the first bowl.

I've since read that folks have had good luck getting rid of that smell by letting it air out a bit.

jason1977 likes this.
  16. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

that ketchupy smell you found was the scent of matured virginias & that vinegary / ketchup smell was the scent of fermentation in the tin. Anaerobic fermentation.....it's pretty much what people WANT when they're cellaring. To mature their stuff. Fermentation takes place in that process. Airing it out is kinda like decanting a wine. You can't just crack the bottle then down the hatch.....it's a process....especially something that's been aging. It's true w. wine, it's true w. scotch ~general rule of thumb for scotch is let her breathe 1 minute for every year old it is. That which ferments eventually needs to breathe......that tin of Virginia woods would've gotten me excited because that ketchupy scent is the smell of something that has gone crazy aging...lol

~If I am going to move on to a tin of a certain blend, I always like to crack it open maybe a month before I know I'm going to be actually smoking it. People are different, but that's what I do. People put it right in a jar, but in my view, yer preserving that ketchup scent. That's just my preference though. I don't jar tins. I always smoke thru em. Only thing that goes in a jar is bulk. But that's me. I also don't have many tins open. But anyhow, there ya go, that's what the ketchupy thing is, it's NOT a bad thing.....it just means she needs to breathe. I just crack the tin open & let it sit for a month or 2 before I actually smoke it. SOMETIMES I'll take it out & put it in a jar of like blend (if it's flake) and just chuck it in there & let em breathe w. the other flakes in the jar, lol.

People will boo & hiss at my methods, but I was never an enthusiast. I'm just a smoker. Not a collector. I just cellar maybe 5 tins deep in a blend I really like which is like 4 different blends. I'm not a hoarder or anything, lol. Not that I knock what others do, but there ya go. Ya smelled a good thing that had an off scent & it was misleading, lol. Now you know what you smelled ;)

Ozark Nick and Old Codger like this.
  17. StubrnDutchman

StubrnDutchman Member

I have 5100 and 2015 that I jarred in 2006. I cannot detect any of the Ketshup/BBQ aroma at all but my senses are not the keenest. It sure is smooooth stuff tho!:D

18. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Just bought a tin of Frog Morton. Cant wait to try it once it's not 19 Freakin degrees outside!

Mington likes this.
  19. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

Thanks for that, Jason! :)

jason1977 likes this.
  20. LostDog13

LostDog13 Yes, I'm a New World Samurai

Still good in 19 degree weather. I think so anyway, was about 34 when I was smoking it earlier tonight.

Mington likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.