1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Frog Morton

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by troyn60, Apr 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. troyn60

troyn60 Member

Mar 6, 2011
    I'm an inexperienced pipe smoker, and my palette isn't so very experienced, but it seems like I have been able to pick up on what most everybody says about the tobaccos that I've tried, except for this one. I found it to have a tangy, almost soapy taste, which is in clear contradiction to pretty much everyone else who says they're getting chocolate and nutty flavors from this tobacco, even if only just hints of them. Has anyone else experienced this? It's not even that it's a bad taste, just not what I'd expected. I've only tried two bowls, but it was the same each time.
  2. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Nov 22, 2009
    Best thing to do is try and finish the tin. If you still get the same strangeness when you've finished it, move on.

Personally, I found soapy traces in FMOTT more than the original.
  3. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Apr 11, 2011
    I love the Frog. I think I might know what you mean. I wonder if the 'soapy' taste you're talking about is the kind of dusty fuzzy tongue-coat that the latakia can cause sometimes. And I think the cavendishy sweet notes in there can sort of approach 'tang' sometimes too. But remember too that it's hard to get a handle on a blend after only a couple of smokes. For me, the same blend can taste a lot different depending on the pipe it's in, the tin it came out of, how fresh (or aged) it is, the time of day, the phase of the moon... :yes: If you like it, hang in there, and see if maybe you start noticing some of the things other folks do.
  4. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

Aug 19, 2010
    I also get the tang which I love in this blend. It's just the thing for snorking....Yumo....
  5. SittinNMyChairSmokin

SittinNMyChairSmokin Member

Aug 14, 2010
    this may be unrelated but next time you smoke it don't try and find any specific flavors. I find that when i go in expecting something i always end up tasting something else. Try not to think about the soapiness and see what happens.

I know it sounds rather odd but for me my state of mind really effects the taste.
  6. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

Nov 27, 2009
    The above reply may work for some.
    Every time I try to NOT think about something, it ends up being the only thing on my mind!!! :whistle:
    Best thing I can suggest is just finish what you have and then decide if it's worth getting more, or not. Everyone tastes things differently and it just might not be what you are looking for now.
    Good luck.
  7. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Apr 1, 2011
    I went through 50 g of it a few months ago. The tiny bit of flavor I got out of it was ashy. It would have been ok if it had been a cheap OTC baccy but I expect more from a blend bought at a premium price.
  8. Tairusu

Tairusu Member

Jan 16, 2011
    It very well might be the Latakia in the blend. Alot of people describe it as soapy/campfirey/sweat socky. I would experiment with other blends and come back to the FM occasionally to see if your tastes are adjusting to it. It doesn't sound like you don't like the taste, you're just not used to it, keep trying other blends until you can distinguish what levels of latakia/va/perique etc you like in your blends and find the right tobacco for you.
  9. raf66

raf66 Member

May 11, 2010
    I concur that it may be the latakia in the blend. I can only handle lat as a backup singer in the rock group, though I do have a few faves with lat in the blend. I love the original FM. Like others have said, give it a go in a different pipe. I know I have several blends which take on a slightly different taste profile when smoked in different pipes.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.