Frog mortons

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Jayson H Bucy, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Yeah, I wish Woody would set it up where we could delete our own post if we have a dupe or something. I get that once in a while when the forum glitches on my computer.

2. jeff394

jeff394 Member

I've tried the original and FMOTB, and the original is my favorite. I'm not a huge fan of perique, anyway, but the original FM is a nice light English. I get a nice chocolate-like flavor from smoking it.

3. Gary

Gary Member

I have OTT and OTB. Both are fairly mild and good for an early morning smoke or a nightcap, IMO. I'll have to try them both tomorrow and give a preference, but IIRC, I think I leaned toward the OTT. I will do a test run of both tomorrow and report back.

4. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I think I'll have it on the next TAD order, and then try my hand at my first review

Spaceboy Tim likes this.
  5. Gary

Gary Member

As promised, I started the morning with a nice big bowl of OTB in a big Stanwell straight billiard. Very nice. Mild, yet rich smoke with a light fruity sweetness to it. Enjoyed this smoke so thoroughly that I decided to immediately try the OTT. Went back inside (damn it's cold this morning in Chicago!). Chose the Savenelli bent billiard for the next bowl and filled with OTT.

Again, very mild, but the flavor muted a bit compared to the OTB. Not as much of the sweet flavor of the OTB, but still a nice mild smoke. To my palate, this morning anyway (tastes seem to change day to day, don't they?), I think I preferred the OTB over the OTT. YMMV.

6. Gary

Gary Member

Revisited this comparison this morning. Started with a small bowl of OTB in my new kit pipe. When I was less than satisfied I went and grabbed my Savinelli Varese and loaded it about half way with OTT. This morning I find the OTT a more satisfying smoke. WTH? As I said previously...changes day to day and even perhaps bowl to bowl.

7. sorringowl

sorringowl Purveyor of PAAD

I tried FMOTT about a year after I took up he pipe and I really like it now (took awhile for me to get to this because I really just hated the name--haha). It's probably my go to toby now as I find myself smoking it even when I think I want to smoke something else. It's a good solid, somewhat complex smoke, without being fussy. I just recently tried the original and I like that as well. I tried not to compare the original to FMOTT but, after smoking both, at first, I felt the original was "missing" something, but then, I realized, they're just different and you can't really compare them. FM, to me, is more "basic," in a way (but not in a bad way): you can definitely define the Virginia and the Latakia, but as the smoke goes on, I could find complexity in both components of the original and at some point, I stopped thinking about it and realized this is just as complex as FMOTT, but in a different way. It's probably because you can get something out of any good tobacco, so long as you give it its due and take your time with it.

Can't wait to try Frog Morton Across the Pond.

8. Coalsmoke

Coalsmoke Member

I received my tin of FMOTT last Thursday and have gone through half of it already! :byg: At first, because I lile English/Balkan blends, the sweetness of the tin note and when lit up was very noticeable. I didn't find it distasteful, just suprisingly different. It's a mild smoke, as already mentioned, and that's its strongpoint...it's a good mild smoke with a sweetness that can be enjoyed. This is not a high-octane, in-your-pipe-and-smoke-it blend and can only be compared to others like it, me thinks. I may have to try the FMATP next. I'm impressed with it and will add it to my short list of regulars! :bing:

9. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I like the ones I've tried, regular and OTB, with OTB being one of my all-time favorite blends. It is light and easy going, the Perique just makes it interesting.

Thanks for the TAD excuse, I just had to head over to pipesandcigars and order their sampler of all four blends. They're on sale right now, so they're a pretty good deal!

10. Brian

Brian Member

There's something about the added Basma leaf in FMOTT that's really pleasing to me. I love this blend. The velvety hint of vanilla from the Basma with the VA and rich smokey Latakia just weave a blanket of smoke I love to wrap myself up in.

I'm not really drawn to smoking FMOTT (or any other Lat blend) all the time, but I would be sad if I didn't have some around. It's one of my all-time favorites.

11. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

Just got a 100g tin of Frog in last night. Cracked it and had a bowl and man that stuff is so good fresh.

Mington likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.