1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

From Aro to English

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by TXPiper, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TXPiper

TXPiper Member

Feb 5, 2012
    I started smoking pipes this past December, and like most I started with aromatics. I started with the hopes of finding "that one vanilla blend" I remember smelling every time I walked into my grandfather's house when I was a kid.

Having tried and not liked any cigars, I figured all other tobacco would be like that, and Aromatics would always be the only style of tobacco I would ever smoke. Somehow I ended up with a couple ounces of Dunhill's My Mixture 965 in a trade. The first smell only added to my though that I would never smoke an English blend, especially one with that crazy Latakia stuff people are always talking about. I was extremely turned off at the strong spicy smell that I was convinced would never taste good in a pipe.

A couple days ago, on a whim, I decided to try out a bowl of 965. Boy was I surprised! It actually tasted sweet. Not sugary sweet, but still sweet (I'm still trying to figure out how to properly describe and review tobacco). I was really surprised how different it was from what I originally thought was a horrible tin-note. And another great point is no soggy heel when I'm done. With the aro's I was always left with a ton of soggy wet tobacco in the heel, not with 965.

After looking up 965 reviews, I found that it was an English and has Latakia in it (which people are pretty polarized about), and decided to purchase a similar blend. I've just posted an order for Frog Morton on the Town. Do you guys think I will like that one? What other blends do you recommend?
    user2725 and Rewster66 like this.
  2. Capt

Capt Active Member

Aug 30, 2011
    If you want a great, inexpensive bulk blend great for beginner English smoker be sure to give McClelland 5125 Coyote Classic a try.
    Rewster66 likes this.
  3. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Some of my favorites are 965, c&d star of the east (heavy lat), Frog Morton on the town (mild lat), Pease Chelsea Morning (just right). Keep trying new things TX. Your on your way.
  4. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

Dec 28, 2011
    +1 on the Coyote Classic. It was my first English blend and I still prefer it to some of the more marquee tin English blends. It's nicely understated: lots of complex flavors without beating you over the head with the Latakia.

McCranie's Murdock's Pipe is a nice Scottish blend you might find interesting as well. Scottishes are generally similar to Englishes, but with less Latakia.
  5. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2010
    Dang it....
    +1 to the (never ending) TAD list!
  6. Steve Dennis

Steve Dennis Member

Jan 22, 2012
    You can't go wrong with the Frog!
    Hawkwood likes this.
  7. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Apr 1, 2011
    I'm one of the few who like English blends but don't care for Frog Morton. I thought Frog was ok but nothing special. You will prolly like it but if you don't you can always find someone here who will trade for it.
  8. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Yes, keep trying new things. You don't know what you're going to like at this point. I had pretty strong ideas about what I thought I liked in the early days of pipe smoking. Turned out, I was wrong about all of it except my disinterest in aros. Not only will things surprise you, your tastes will actually change with experience.

If you like 965 and want to try other English style blends, Frog might do it for you but I would suggest the original Frog Morton. It is NOT 965 but it is probably closer than the other frogs, in my less than expert opinion.

English/Balkan blends are still home base for me but I've not had enough of them to make many comparisons but the RuralHipster has been educating me. There be a world of great stuff waiting for you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.