From Epiphany to Frog Morton

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by James Harr, Jan 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Harr

James Harr Member

So I am working through my ounce of C&D Epiphany and I really like it. I am intrigued by the reviews of McClellan Frog Morton and think I might try that next. What do you think? Is this a step in the right direction? I have smoked aromatics, but want to try some more latakia/English blends. What say ye? Plain FM or one of the other flavors (On the Town, On the Bayou, etc)?

2. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Plain FM seems to be a popular first step into latakia.

3. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I'm not sure there is a right direction but it is an interesting direction.:) The Frog is, to my mind, a very interesting mix of flavours, definitely on the English blend side of the mark. I think of it as a mild, flavourful, intro to orientals, latakia (an oriental itself) heavy English/Balkan blends. For my tastes it is not a lat bomb but it has enough to mix well with sweet Va and the other orientals.

Don't be put off by me calling it a good 'introduction' blend. It will be good long after the intro period is over..

4. flipflops

flipflops Member

Frog Morton on the Town is the only one I have tried and I love it. It is very smooth; great for someone trying to slowly ween themseleves from the tongue bite calamities of aromatics. I think I will make an order next month for the original Frog and see how that one smokes.

5. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

I think perhaps the way I would describe it would be a staple english blend. Wonderful for a first look at english. And yet, there's something about it that makes you want to cellar a bunch of it! Sure 10 Russians is great. Artisan's Blend is superb. But I could smoke FM, or FMOTT, every day and not be bothered by it. Just special enough to enjoy.

6. WVDAVE

WVDAVE Active Member

How is the taste, strength and room note of C&D Epiphany? By the way "From Epiphany to Frog Morton" sounds like a good movie title.

7. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

All the Frogs are solid blends. Good intro's to ease into Latakia, nice and soft smokes.

8. James Harr

James Harr Member

Mac, no worries calling it an "introduction". That is just what I am looking for.

WVDAVE, Epiphany is tasty enough for me, but probably falls somewhere in the middle of the taste spectrum. I am an outdoor smoker (San Diego), so cannot comment on the room note. There are lots of reviews of it here and out on the interwebz. I find it a very enjoyable smoke. I am a snorker and don't find it at all offensive or harsh. Seems like a good 'standard' tobac without anything exotic, but not so mild that it leaves me wanting. I would recommend it.

That is my first lame attempt at a tobacco review, so take it for what it is. I'm just a noob mostly benefiting from the knowledge and experience of others.

Happy smoking,
    J--

MacNutz and SmokeyJoe like this.
  9. WVDAVE

WVDAVE Active Member

James, You answer all my concerns so I'll be trying some. not a bad review at all.

10. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

I like McClelland Wilderness. Great smoke, wasn't too impressed at the beginning but I tried it in different pipe with an added air time and it really grew on me. Light but rich in flavor. I've read some good reviews of F Morton but I think my next venture (McClelland) with be "Legends", just read some great reviews on tobaccoreviews. Happy smoking!

11. jgstudios

jgstudios Member

Frog Morton On The Town is so gooood! After getting half-way through my first tin, I bought 5 more. The Frogs are all good, but I like OTT and OTB best of the four. 10 Russians is awesome, but strong, and in my opinion has a noticeable nicotine kick, and I love it so much. Half-way through the tin, I bought 5 more of those too. There are so many good English - Balkan baccys out there, each one different than the other. I think starting with any Frog blend is a great place to begin the latakia quest. Then you can explore to your hearts content.

12. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

wow i was just going to post a new thread on Frog Morton. I want to order some also as a intro to english blends but ive only tried vanilla cream , will be trying some longbottom leaf soon also. So im affraid of the big jump to frog morton. How does it smell when you open the cans of frog ? i read a review that it smells like ashfalt hehe

13. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I would say more like a camp fire.

14. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

While I generally prefer one-dimensional smokes, Epiphany just can't seem to hold my attention. On the other hand, I don't really care for "nuanced" blends but the Frog Mortons just blow me away. IMHO, you're going to like the jump - it's like going from a Yugo to a Jag! I haven't tried all of them, but I like both Frog Morton and Frog Morton on the Town (FMOT), with FMOT being my favorite of the two.

15. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

If you liked Epiphany, then I think you will love Deacon's Downfall and P&W 78 :bing:

16. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

FM is a great intro for english blends. You can't go wrong with it.

17. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

PS English Luxury was the one that took me from Aro's to English's but Frog Morton was the one that made me stay.

Stonewall likes this.
  18. jgstudios

jgstudios Member

David, the tin smell is not pretty like vanilla cream, but I likened it to smoke house & leather. (there are others out there that smell to me like burning car brakes, but not FM) I really like it. I think of it like an old world aroma. Have no fear, this stuff is good and full flavored compared to things like vanilla creme, which I thought was bitey and not very tastey. VC Smells great though, but I have only been able to get through about 5 bowls of that stuff whereas I'm burning through my english - balkan tins like there's no tomorrow. Occasionally dabbling in University Flake for something interesting and aros as just a quick diversion from the more serious stuff. The tin smell is not like the way it tastes or the way it smells as you smoke. It's transformed into something deep, rich and flavorfull.

David Emond likes this.
  19. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Thank you very much JG, Theres so many blends out there and im trying not to rush things but Frog Morton will be in my near future buys for sure.

20. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

"Epiphany and the FrogMortons" would be a great name for a band, too.

Stonewall likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.