From Epiphany to Frog Morton

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by James Harr, Jan 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgstudios

jgstudios Member

Sounds like some prog band from the 70's.

2. James Harr

James Harr Member

Ok, so I stopped by Liberty Tobacco today. Let me just say that the customer service there was TOP SHELF!! The selection of bulk and tins was also very good. I didn't have a pipe with me, but the guy helping me made sure to let me know that if I bring it, I can fill it at the store. There were also lots of old guys sitting around smoking and shooting the breeze. It would be a great place to go hang out.

Anyway, on to my comment/question. I bought a tin of Frog Morton OTT. I opened it when I got home and noted that it does indeed smell a little 'swampy' in the tin. It was also wet. So I left the lid off for an hour or so and loaded my Peterson XL155 'Captain Pete' with a half bowl anticipating a nice smoke while walking my dog Boris. But it was not to be! It wouldn't light!! I could smoke as long as the match was over the bowl, but as soon as I took it away, it went out. I tried about 8 times to light it and finally gave up since I was getting stressed.

I can say that the few puffs I got were delightful. All the more frustrating that I couldn't get a good smoke out of it. I guess I will leave the load in the bowl and try again tomorrow.

Discuss.
    [​IMG]

3. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Quite frankly I've heard enough of this Epiphany/Frog Morton, nonsense from all of you!

I'm convinced. :byg: So I bought both from SP just a few moments ago. I bought a big can of OTT. Seemed like the thing to do...:puffy:

Jayson H Bucy likes this.
  4. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Next time pull out enough tobacco to fill your bowl and let it sit out for twenty minutes or so. That should get it dry enough. If it still won't burn, you may need to revise your packing technique. The stuff can be pretty moist from the tin- that was probably the problem.

Stonewall likes this.
  5. jgstudios

jgstudios Member

James, ao far I've never had any wet frogs so far. I've gone through 4 - 100g tins of each blend and they were only a tad moist, and with 30 min to 1 hr of drying time things were fine. I usually leave a pipe's worth out on a sheet of paper under a desk lamp when I really want it dry. It does smoke VERY well when dry. Try at again with some dry time and I'm sure you'll be pleased. I'm gonna have to try taht Epiphany stuff soon. JG

6. smokey422

smokey422 Member

Of all the Frog Mortons I have tried FMOTT is my favorite.

Smokey

7. James Harr

James Harr Member

I have said in other places on these forums that FMOTT is now my favorite tobacco EVER!! What a great flavor, and I can smoke it and snork it with absolutely no hint of bite. The Epiphany is a little bitey in the back of the throat which I am finding increasingly unpleasant. That's unfortunate because I like the flavor. Even when I smoke it nice and slow and cool, it still bites back. I have ordered a tin of original FM and some Ten Russians. Hoping those will be good smokes as well.

8. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

You should try Frog Morton at least once - it's a fine blend. As a pretty straightforward and mild blend of Virginia and latakia without other orientals, it serves as a great introduction to fuller latakia blends, and is easy enough on the palate to serve as a "first of the day" when you're in the mood for latakia but don't want something too taxing on the palate.

I've smoked a couple tins of it, and I do like it and may buy more in the future, but honestly there are other latakia mixtures out there I prefer a good deal more. That said, it IS a very nice mixture. I'm at the end of a bowl of it right now!

9. James Harr

James Harr Member

Please do share/suggest. What is your 'must-have' latakia blend?

10. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

My first intro to Frog Morton was this morning. I had the OTT in a CG Cob on smoke break. The tobacco straight from the tin had the perfect moisture content. From first light the baccy smoked easy and stayed lit until I extinguished it (1/2 bowl). I cannot give a proper review having only smoked a bowl full, but the flavor was rich and I snorked it with no problem. I think I like the latakia taste, but I don't think I would like it more prevalent than in the OTT. The only other exposure I have had to latakia was in a blend from my local tobacconist called "light" English. It contained perique, latakia and perhaps a burley? Along with the smoky taste was a flavor like toasted nuts. As you can probably tell, I am new to this adventure with most of my experience being in aros.

11. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Well honestly I'm not a huge latakia fiend, so take that into consideration regarding my opinions. I much prefer a blend heavy on other orientals with just a touch of latakia - this is probably a big reason that while I think FM is a good smoke it's not a great smoke. For me there's something lacking.

But I'd say Margate, Penzance, McClelland Oriental #14, PS Proper English, C&D Star of the East, SG Squadron Leader, Balkan Sasieni, And So To Bed, and even Ashton's Consummate Gentleman are better blends than FM. Of course, Penzance and Squadron Leader can occasionally be hard to get, but if you can they're wonderful. Some of these, like Proper English and Balkan Sasieni, are really common and inexpensive blends. I prefer all of these most of the time over Frog Morton, and range from fairly heavy latakia (Penzance, Star of the East) to very light in latakia (And So To Bed, Consummate Gentleman)

As far as an introduction to latakia, Frog Morton will do the trick. It's a nice, semi-sweet medium bodied smoke with a pretty nice dose of latakia. The fact that it is simply VA and latakia makes it nice to help someone who's never had it before identify the flavor of latakia, yet it is also the blends only drawback. I'm not opposed to simple blends at all, I just think in this case it's a little boring. Frog Morton on the Bayou, in my opinion, is also superior to Frog Morton (standard). I haven't tried the other varieties in the line.

12. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Honestly, some of my favorite English blends have little to no actual latakia in them. Dunhill Early Morning Pipe, Presbyterian Mixture, Rattray's Red Rapparee...all simply magnificent blends, yet very little or no latakia. In fact, I think I'll go smoke a bowl of EMP right now! :puffy:

13. James Harr

James Harr Member

Thanks for the suggestions, nesta. I will make a list and pick a couple next time I am at the B&M.

14. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Presbyterian Mixture is the most full bodied of the three as far as I'm concerned, at a solid "medium." It's got quite a heavy dose of orientals, and it's debated as to whether or not any latakia is used, but I think there is a touch there. It's also the most love-it-or-hate-it kind of blend of the three, even among fans of English blends.

EMP and RRR are both really classy light English blends, very oriental forward but still mild. Great for all day smokes if you really need that exotic element found in English blends.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.