Full Bowl

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by IrishRover, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Hello!
    I was just wondering.. Do you always finish a full bowl or, do you sometimes stop at half (or around there), and dump it out.

Cheers :cheers:

2. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

I have only dumped out one bowl and that was some tobacco that I disliked so bad, I couldn't bring myself to finish it. I often stop smoking a bowl half way through, and just let it sit till I can finish it, I never throw away bacca unless I just hate it that much.

3. SittinNMyChairSmokin

SittinNMyChairSmokin Member

It may be a bad habit but i find myself tossing a good amount of baccy out pretty often.

I find that its easier to smoke when the bowl is fully packed but find that its too much to finish smoking some times. I don't feel bad about it because i feel like i got the pleasure i wanted from the smoke and the thrown out baccy doesn't seem wasted because it helped keep the pipe lit and lead to a more pleasant experience.

Cheers,
    Brian

4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

If for some reason I stop half way - why would I want to dump it out?

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I pretty much pick the pipe/ blend for the amount of time I've got . If I dont finish it I relite it later . Though sometimes I look at it and think .. I want fresh ... so I do

6. Boomer-Z

Boomer-Z Member

Hello,

90% of the time I smoke it all the way down. Sometimes too far down and I get bit. I call it the 3 T's. Taste, tedium and/or time. If it starts tasting off or bad (or if it started that way) I tend to dump it. If I have to constantly relight due to my inability to pack it right or due to toby wetness I dump it. if I run out of time I may save the rest of the bowl for later or I dump it. Some toby's just taste better later....others don't.

Z

7. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

X 2 what Ruff said. I have a couple of smaller pipes I use at lunchtime for a 20-30 minute smoke. If I put down a larger pipe at home, I relight it. Not so much because of waste, but because the bottom of the pipe gets goopy if you keep tossing the bowl before it's done and most tobaccos taste good relit anyway.

8. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Rarely do I dump a bowl. I have in the past if I absolutely had no plans to come back to it or smoke anymore of it. DGT is no problem with me in most cases. It's usually good if not better later........sometimes it takes a few minutes for the flavors to come back but it usually does. On the occasion I loaded up wrong or wasn't attentive on my load, I'll get a wet-bottom (toby soaked) so I dump that cause I know it won't smoke good later on the return. Wet toby.........Yichhhh! :thumbsd:

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

9. gandalf7531

gandalf7531 Member

Call it compulsion on my part, but I'll almost never dump a bowl of baccy. I'll finish it to the end unless1) it's just God-awful stuff; or 2) I've relit it more than three or four times and seems to be too moist to burn really well.

10. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I'll try to DGT as much as possible.
    I rarely dump it out. It does happen
    some times when i know it'll just
    taste like ash anyway.

dp

11. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Member

If the tobacco taste good all the way to the bottom,then I smoke it all,but some tobaccos dont taste so great after 3/4 of a bowl and I will dump it when it doesnt taste good.

12. latts

latts Member

I try not to dump a bowl unless it's really terrible. Frugality and all that.

13. SittinNMyChairSmokin

SittinNMyChairSmokin Member

i guess im the odd man out on this one, i usually end up with 1/4 bowl tossed out.

14. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

I rarely toss tabak in a pipe unless it went way soggy mid way. Mostly I like the taste of relights minutes, hours or a day (or more) later. Being able to relight is what separates us from the animals.

15. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

And obviously, Moo goes to extremes to seperate from the animals :roflmao:

16. freestoke

freestoke Member

I'm a compulsive non-dumper. I have no "terrible" tobacco at the moment -- at least none that I fire up -- so I'm going to finish that bowl, now or later, no matter what! I'm in the "don't let the bottom of the bowl get nasty" school.

PS: I think this might not be a great strategy for cobs, but I'm new to the cob world...

17. telltime

telltime Active Member

Let me start by sharing a rather crude analogy that my father often said about, well, something you might do with a woman: The worst experience was still absolutely wonderful.

A "favorite" tobacco can be the same for me. A tobacco I don't like right out of the tin, I will not finish. Too many other choices. But if it's something I like and don't have time to finish, I'll leave it in the pipe and finish within a reasonable period (usually no more than a day). I will just tamp a little of the ash out and re-light. Even if the flavor has changed a little, it's still very good.

18. rphillips

rphillips Member

Sadly Ive been dumping more often than not lately. My Sillems black is the only baccy I have until my order arrives on friday and it smokes a little wet. I cant wait till Friday.

19. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I like the flavor of Black much better after the tin had been open a couple of months. When I first opened it (and it was my first experience w/Black) I thought it was a little wet and too strong. I went back to it a few months later and it had dried a little and is much smoother and sweeter now, plus no more wet, soggy heals.

20. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

I am all over the DGT - when I get home from work, I will often pack a bowl, knowing that I will only puff on it for 10 to 15 minutes before I set out on the next chore, returning to it in an hour or two, only to puff for another 10 to 15, etc. etc.

One trick that I have discovered for keeping a bowl that you plan to DGT a few times is aerating the tobacco by running the pick tool down the side of the bowl OPPOSITE from the draft hole. This allows more air into the tobacco, giving it a sweeter "top of the bowl" flavour, but also has the added benefit of allowing some of the steam created by moist tobacco/spittle escape (read: bite and sour). It should also be noted that this not only makes the heel of the pipe palateable, but also allows the flame to be drawn across the bottom of the bowl, reducing the amount of dottle in the ash.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.