1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Full Virginia Flake Bulk?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Dan Manchester, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan Manchester

Dan Manchester Member

I placed an order today at Pipes and Cigars to add some new stuff to my hoard. FVF in bulk being one of them. I have never smoked FVF but figured it's about time due to it's cult following. I was a little disappointed to buy in bulk but it's near impossible to find in tins which I would have preferred for aging purposes. I'll still have a go with a mason jar though.

Anyway is the bulk stuff as good as the tins? Or is it a different smoke altogether? Are you guy's already buying this bulk? Maybe it's a good thing I only bought 4oz. to get my feet wet. I am looking forward to trying this stuff just hoping the bulk is similar.

On a side note I also picked up
    Peterson Perfect Plug
    C&D Old Joe Krantz
    C&D Da Vinci
    Mac B Scottish Mix
    C&D Burley Flake #1
    C&D Bow Legged Bear
    H&H Sunza Bitches
    All new blends for me.
    Yes I have TAD.

TedVig and BigJ like this.
  2. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

Nice pickup. I've only had FVF in bulk so I can't comment on differences. I will advise you to age the 3P. I just had some I've been storing for the past year and wow is it great with some age.

Dan Manchester likes this.
  3. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Well, the main difference with the bulk is the different cut of the flakes. They're longer in bulk form, and they're really nice to look at, IMO. I have a good size portion of bulk FVF aging in my "cellar", and I believe it to be the same tobacco as what comes in the tins. No discernible difference that I could find. FVF is great stuff, and I highly recommend that you set some out for short-term consumption and then seal the rest up in a mason jar and wait on it for awhile. It's good fresh, but it's pure magic with a little age on it. One of my very favorite blends.

I've been digging this whole SG bulk thing that is going on right now, personally. Bought some St. James in bulk the other day. :th1:

4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

It's just the same from tins or loose...er...sorry - bulk!, a tobacco that needs a careful 'technique' that brings great reward!, BTW I would take it out of the tins, a lot of them go rusty!, its wet stuff!
    OT

DocB and jdto like this.
  5. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

same tobacco, longer flakes in bulk, mason jars are more trustworthy than tins

DocB likes this.
  6. Dan Manchester

Dan Manchester Member

Well that's good news! I plan to sample a little then Jar the rest to get the full experience. This one is top on my list and can't wait to give it a go. Actually everything else is going in the cellar(literally). So It's the only thing on my list. Well.. that and the 20 other open pouches and tins I must finish before I open anything else!

PipeWife likes this.
  7. MainePipe

MainePipe Member

I just ordered some to sample and jar as well...thanks for the tip that pipesandcigars had it

8. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

You need no other advice than what has been provided by these gentlemen. :thu2:

9. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

You found it in bulk?! He'll I can't even score a tin. Every time SP.com sends me an email notice it's in stock, it's gone when I open the link. The last time (about a week ago) it was gone in 40 minutes...

10. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

I have about 1.3 kg of it cellared, most from bulk. I like it.

11. PipeWife

PipeWife Active Member

I know that feeling.

12. Dan Manchester

Dan Manchester Member

It's in stock at Pipes and Cigars pretty much all the time. Along with a bunch of other SG bulk tobacco. They must have an arrangement of some sort.

Stonewall likes this.
  13. cigrmaster

cigrmaster Member

I have found that the bulk version has thicker flakes than the tinned version. Yes they are much longer but they are like thick beef jerky and a little more difficult to work with. I have no trouble getting a good burn when I cube cut the tinned version but for some strange reason, the bulk doesn't burn as consistently. The flavor is the same as far as I can tell, but I now rub out the bulk instead of cutting it up. I have also found the same to be true of St James flake , but not Best Brown, it is kind of weird.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.