1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

fungi fodder

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Fat Lenny, Jun 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fat Lenny

Fat Lenny Member

May 13, 2013
    Hey all,
    I'm on my 3rd tin of JKnife Plug recently and I noticed about half way thru the plug a little spot of growth. It's a creamy, pearl white of velvety soft mycelium growth growing on the side of the block. It's about the size of a small coffee bean.

Now granted I haven't been smoking very long (6mos) since I started smoking a pipe again, and I've gone thru only a few pounds thus far. Outside of this I smoked part-time for a couple years some six years ago. So, I obviously haven't gone thru as much tobacco as some of y'all which is why I'm asking if it is par for the course to find mold colonizing on tinned tobacco? All things being equal, is this a common, not so common event? In any case, I simply sliced off a few millimeters of said plug where the mold was growing and problem solved.

I know in the past I've encountered older tins, from Dunhill especially, where sugar had crystallized on the surface in spots, but this was definitely a growing mass of mycelium.

Outside of maybe a half pound of tobacco that is jarred for aging, everthing else is in the tin whence it came. Some seeing more daylight than others.
    So I'm curious as to what others think about mold growth on tinned pipe tobacco.
  2. Calvinandpipe

Calvinandpipe Active Member

Apr 20, 2012
    There was a thread, maybe a year ago, where someone had the same problem with the same tobacco. He posted pictures and he had quite a colony growing in his JKnife Plug. Maybe someone can remember the name of the thread and post a link to that. I've been smoking a pipe for 20 years and haven't come across mold yet so I don't think its that common.
  3. Buckshot Two

Buckshot Two Member

Feb 15, 2013
    I read somewhere that it is not mold, it is crystallized sugar.
  4. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

Jan 31, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.