1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Funny story and first cob

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Thunderhorse, Feb 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thunderhorse

Thunderhorse Member

So yesterday I embarked to the big city to go out for wings with my girlfriend, and on the way I drove past a little shop I drive past occasionally but never really gave it a second thought till now. You people probably know the type of place, its not classy and the advertisment on the blacked out window read "hooka/herble blends/exct ect" but then I noticed at the bottom of the sign it said "Quality cigars". So I thought to myself "Hmm if they have quality cigars they might have pipes!" so I ventured into the store.

As I walked into the store, which was much cleaner than I expected, I was greated by a rather short greasy dude who said "welcome, can I help you?" I politely declined and proceeded to look around. I immediately spied The pipe cabnet and it was a welcome site to see they had every type of pipe, peterson, savinelli, clays and COBS lol the good cobs too not the chinese ones. I asked the young man to unlock the case and hand me one of the cobs for inspection to which he replied "Sweet dude those are so cool". I inspected the pipe and was dissipointed to see that there was a filter and that the stem would be rather hard to clean as well as being see through, which is a little tacky to me but O well. I informed the man I would purchase the pipe.

As we are walking over to the cabinet containing the bulk toby and what I was hoping some tinned toby the man said "So... you want "something" to smoke in that pipe?". Not really catching on to what he was refering to I replied with "Ya actually" and then realizing what he was refering to something I definitely didnt want I said "Bulk Baccy" quickly before he could launch into some story about how he knows a guy who knows a guy. We are looking at the blends (no tins sadly just 20 or 30 bulk) and the guy says "How do they come up with these names like seriously oriental? is that cause its the color of chinese peoples skin? burley? was someone smoking that blend and like "wow this is a pretty burley tobacco"" I informed him it was the name of the leaf contained in the blend, which he did not understand in the least, apparently according to him there is only one kind of tobacco, one variety of plant, and its not curreed differently ... :rolleyes:

I ended up getting ten grams of burley blend, which the guy undercharged me for by about 5$ but I wasnt going to say anything. I took it as a discout for having to listen to him rabble about his second job at the hobby shop and trying to refer me to someone dealing illegal substances. People should really be more careful about that sort of thing, for all he knew I could have been a cop... At any rate I got my toby and left.

When I arrived home I packed my cob with my burley blend and lit it up. It wasnt to bad it burnt wonderfully and it was a mildly sweet tasting smoke. It was like a toasted marshmellow, not burnt but you know when you toast a marshmellow till it swells up to 2 times the size and the outside turns golden brown. Thats the exact taste and that was about all I got out of it. It was a rather mild smoke compaired to the english blend I smoked previously. I smoked it to the bottom and apparently this cob isnt like my other pipe because the last puff was straight ash, which wasnt very pleasent but lesson learned, dont take one puff to many with a cob lol. Overall it wasnt a bad experience. I think Im going to save for a couple months and invest in a nice peterson or something of the sort.

I have one question though, about half way through the bowl I was reading, not sipping on the pipe and the tobacco exploded out of it! it shot ash all over the place, it was rather odd, what would have caused this? it was not even in my mouth or anything. I just re tamped and lit it again and was on my way no problems, It was just kinda weird!
    thanks guys \m/

2. Bear84

Bear84 Member

Sometimes you get lucky and the "seedy" place has some cool stuff! Other times you walk into what you think is a "classy" place and it's all glassware!

I have also had bowls blow up on me while driving, which is sweet... I know it wasn't my wife or anybody else "loading" my pipe with the old cigarette loads since I was the one who loaded the bowl! It's most likely what I call the "popcorn" effect. Popcorn kernels have a little bit of water inside the kernel and when it gets to a certain temp it "pops" the kernel. I do believe that's probably what happened with your tobacco, there was probably some trapped water that turned to steam and popped the toby. Without fail that piece of tobacco ends up being near the bottom of the bowl so you can wear the rest of it!

3. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I'm not too fond of the stems that are on cobs either but you can simply toss the filter. Because it is translucent you will have to keep it really clean or it will look gross. If you got a straight stem it will be easy to clean but if you got a bent stem it will be the pits to clean it. Congrats on your purchase. It sounds as though you are off to a good start.

4. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Enjoy the Cob!

5. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I've had experience with 'popcorn tobacco' recently. It was startling when the glowing bits of tobacco flew trough the air. And irritating when they landed all over me. :)

Ha, I never go to those kind of stores. Being a grumpy old hippie I might feel compelled to edumacate them. :bangin: Later, when you decide the bowl on that little cob is just too small to deal with, you should order new, bigger ones on line. Aristocob (personal favourite), Walker, I believe even MM themselves sell them on line. MUCH cheaper than at a B&M store . Also you can get replacement stems and get rid of the amber plastic butt pain that comes on Legends. I have several different ones and I love my cobs. I'm a heavy smoker and can testify that these pipes smoke well and last a long time. Usually. :)

Preacher1611 likes this.
  6. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

i have never worried overly much about that brown line down the airway in an amber stemmed cob--i just run a cleaner thru it til i'm satisfied and then back to business--kinda gives a cob a look of 'ancient' character--

7. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

The MM "Danish" bit will fit your pipe (and it's black in color). They're more comfortable, IMO, than the clear yellow stems. Cost was 25 cents last time I bought some from the factory.

Instead of a filter, I use a 1" section of pipe cleaner bent in a "V". This reduces the draw a bit , catches bits of tobacco and collects some tars and moisture (and are much cheaper than filters).

WyoBob

8. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

The problem with the bent amber stems is that a cleaner can't get past the sharp angle that creates the bend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.