Furniture for pipe storage, advice needed!

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by OrganizdMadman, Aug 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OrganizdMadman

OrganizdMadman Member

Ok pipe brothers I need your advice. My pipes and tobaccos seem to be diligently reproducing on a monthly basis, every time I look there seems to be more than the last time. I'm running out of room in my closet!
    [​IMG]
    I need y'alls advice on what type of furniture would be best for storing all this stuff.
    I'm looking for something with cabinet doors on the bottom to store baccy, a few wide, deep, but relatively shallow drawers above them for storing pipes, and then the top would glassed in shelves for displaying the more ornate pipes. But all this can't be larger than an average bookshelf, needs to be wood (or look like it) and must be under $300.
    Is there such a thing in existence?

2. Klauswermann

Klauswermann Member

A china cabinet or hutch would work good I think, you can really get them in many different configurations and styles... a lot of them for under 300$. Maybe look on a local classifed site or at used furniture stores for dirt cheap prices.

3. NickWilliams

NickWilliams Member

Target sells some pretty nice glass front display cases and glass front wall mount medicine cabinets with storage cubby holes and drawers and such for around $90 each. You may have to do some slight modification such as adding an extra shelf inside the cabinet so your pipes are not spaced out to far apart. I have one of the espresso colored ones that I think is actually a nice product, and for the price you could get a couple, mount them side by side, and still only spend a little over half your budget.

4. TheMadMan

TheMadMan Active Member

This is what i use for my stuff it's nothing special, but it works..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

I have used an old chest of drawers the I bought at a secondhand store, cleaned it up and placed some tobacco tin labels on it. Now it resides at my duck camp, looks good there. Lotsa storage pretty cheap.

Stonewall likes this.
  6. OrganizdMadman

OrganizdMadman Member

That's kind of what I'm looking for, however I'm leaning toward installing some glassed-in cabinets on an old bookshelf and using that.

7. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Wish I could find something like the second one!
    Nice, MadMan!

8. phinz

phinz Active Member

This is the latest picture of my storage area. It's an old CD/DVD/VHS storage shelf. I'm thinking about trying to find a nice midcentury china cabinet, though.

[​IMG]
    photo.JPG by Phinzup, on Flickr

PatDreadful and TheMadMan like this.
  9. TheMadMan

TheMadMan Active Member

I like them three tins on the 6th shelf with the reddish/pink label.. I could sail with that blend any day.

phinz likes this.
  10. buistd

buistd Sales Account

I bought mine on ebay for £21. Luckily enough the person I bought it from lived a 2 minute drive from my house. I would suggest keeping your eyes on ebay or even craigslist.

OrganizdMadman likes this.
  11. OrganizdMadman

OrganizdMadman Member

Hate to resurrect a dead thread, but I've finally decided on a piece of furniture.
    I found it's almost impossible to find a large glassed-in bookshelf anywhere, unless you're willing to drop a couple grand on a solid cherry room-sized monstrosity. This is the closest I could find to what I was looking for. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S59908467/#
    I'm going to make the trek over to IKEA next week or so...any good B&Ms in or near West Chester OH?

Rodfather likes this.
  12. winterland

winterland Member

I was going to mention Ikea reading through the thread. Looks like a nice cabinet for your fine pipe smoking wares.

13. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

Looking good but I'm more jealous of the AT-AT and the helmets!

14. SidZiff

SidZiff Member

Very Nice !!

15. phinz

phinz Active Member

There are 4 more on the other side of the book case that's to the right of those helmets. :)

16. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Active Member

keep your eye on Craigslist.. I picked up a couple of very nice secretaries from folks downsizing. they have the glass displays on top and drawers below a fold out writing area.

17. Yankee Bill

Yankee Bill Member

That's a nice cabinet. Please post a picture after you load it up with pipes and tobacco!

OrganizdMadman and browny like this.
  18. phinz

phinz Active Member

My wife fell in love with those when we were at IKEA over Labor Day weekend. Might have to get one or three for the condo.

Carrousel Keyer Tobacco is in Cincinnati. They seem pretty cool. Apparently the majority of the shop is pipe-based.

19. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

Nice board! Arrogant B@$t@®d is an excellent beer!

Oh...nice storage too.

20. phinz

phinz Active Member

My favorite part of the board is that it's a knockoff of the old Alva Hosoi Fish, my favorite shape ever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.