1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Fussy pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Russell Hartman, Dec 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Apr 24, 2011
    As a young boy with my great grandfather he always loaded his pipes in the three step kind of thing. Thats what I always seen him do. As time went I also remember him just trickling some tobby in--push it down-light the pipe, and move on. I always tried loading pipes the three step way. That was until I had a few "fussy" pipes--they seemed to smoke wetter for some reason. Thanks to the experience of others(thank you to all) I have found that looking at the bowl shapes had alot to do with it. The bowls were more conical in shape. SO--I tried that old just trickle, or dip the pipe in the tobby--push it down without layering--and BINGO--mystery of the fussy pipe solved. I find myself doing this all of the time now--just stuff some tobacco in, tamp it down with the finger, and move on. I guess through many years of just doing the three step thing it just got to be normal for me--I just thought some of my pipes were"fussy". As it turns out as always a man can learn a thing or, two by listening to others. As it turns out those pipes I kinda thought about giving up on just needed loaded up different. After reading some things on this site, listening to guys who had the same issues, and tried loading the pipes differently--well I learned something--it wasn't so much the pipe--it was me. That old saying--its not the arrow--its the indian kinda came to my mind.:byg:
    Basil Meadows and Johnny like this.
  2. Johnny

Johnny Member

Jun 8, 2010
    I've just started doing the three layer method lately because of certain pipes not liking the gravity fill method. It just takes time to learn your pipes and blends and what works for what combination. Cube cutting flakes is another new method for me. I just have to work on my smoking cadence now. I still tend to smoke too fast
  3. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

Dec 21, 2011
    That to me is the beauty of pipe smoking; the adventure of finding the right way to smoke each pipe! Every pipe is different and each one has a different personality so to speak. They have different ways of packing and smoking, it's just a matter of finding what works best with each pipe!
    Stonewall likes this.
  4. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    And how! This is sometimes a challenge. But nevertheless, one of the great things about pipe smoking.
    Preacher1611 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.