1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

FVF sparkle

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Tenthgate, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

Evenin' old timers,

I recently bought a tin of FVF from my local B&M here and believe it might have been at least a year or two old.
    The moldish looking stuff that is on pictures of FVF i've seen sparkles in the light, like diamond dust. I heard that's a sign of sugars crystalizing in aged tobaccos. Does that process take decades or is it possible off a tin of stuff i found in a B&M?

Thanks in advance,

2. user1975

user1975 Active Member

If there is no date stamp on the tin, it's almost impossible to tell how old it really is. That being said, yes, it does happen, and a VA blend like that will really shine when it ages to that point. Enjoy, it should be a wonderful smoke!

3. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Congrats and Enjoy!

4. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I've had brand new Penzance come with crystals on it, so I guess that some of it could be happening in the aging that the blender does.

Kiowapipe and el guero like this.
  5. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

If you got it at B&B, it's probably not ancient. Sugar can show up pretty soon after tinning. It's a good thing, regardless.:)

Puff The Magic likes this.
  6. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Sounds like your going to have a great smoke! :bing:

7. el guero

el guero Member

+1

8. Indypuffer

Indypuffer Member

I've had FVF that was just shy of a year old, that already had crystals on it. Still a great smoke regardless of being kind of young, so to speak.

9. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Well, there's "year-old" C&D, and then there's "year-old" JFG. They may both have been in the tin for one year, but the JFG stuff was probably considerably more mature before it went in the tin. I don't have any insider knowledge or anything, but in my experience stuff from C&D often seems to ship sorta green, whereas the leaf in your FVF is probably old enough to start learning fractions. Am I wrong, brother farts?

10. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Oh, I forgot, don't forget to tell us what you think of it...

11. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

Well this was my first tin of FVF, i've smoked about 5 bowls of it already. To be honest I loved it from the first bowl without having seen the crystals. It's very smooth, fine and sweet. The smell in the tin is out of this world delicious. I stood there sniffing it. There's no harshness at all and I do believe I could stay interested in smoking this stuff all day long.

Even after my first bowl I made the decision to acquire at least a good 10 tins to stock in my cellar.

:D

12. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

At my B&M here in canada the tin was 21 bucks, I picked it up on an impulse buy with my new savinelli full bent. But I would consider buying more from them,
    a) to support the place
    b) it seems like the product doesn't really move too quickly and there's a good chance at scoring older tins there :)

Mark w4mms likes this.
  13. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

14. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Damn, it is 15 bucks cheaper in Quebec than in BC. Ah hates it.

15. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Jeez, MacN, for that kind of $/g you could be smoking... uh, nevermind :hip1:

16. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I read somewhere that McClelland Virginias are best at the two year mark on the tin date and that after 5 years the aging process slows down dramatically in the tin with little change after that.

17. jpberg

I would heartily disagree. Of course everyone's tastes are their own, but I'd argue that since McClelland has only been tinning since '77 or so, that we've yet to see their peak.

18. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Supposedly this information was from someone who talked to McClelland about their tobacco, I don't know how accurate that information is, just something I read on another forum a couple of months ago that I thought I would pass along as an FYI.

19. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is in an undisclosed Bunker

I have to say that FVF is my favorite. I have recently had a couple of Va's that were 10 to 20 years old that were fabulous but I have not had the pleasure of smoking FVF with even 5-10 years on it yet. I would bet that it would blow others out of the water! Even with 1-2 years on it it shines! Heck, right out of the tin, it is GREAT!;)

Paul

20. jpberg

Well don't beat around the (Flat) bush, Paul, go ahead and tell us what your favorite tobacco is!:p:

Mington likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.