1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

G&H Dark Birdseye -- new revelation

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by beeftip, Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beeftip

beeftip Member

Good Evening,

Tonight after a bottle of wine with Mrs. Beeftip I got the bright idea to cannonball a wad of G&H Dark Birdseye into my Savinelli Bing's Favorite. The DBE had been percolatin' in a jar for over a year.

I'm having a VERY favorable reaction to it this evening. I'm not certain, but I think there may be a little bit of "Lakeland" in this blend. Maybe it's geranium, maybe tonquin, I don't know. In the past it's been a bit more dominant, but I think a year of aging has pushed it to the backseat. In any event, this "essence" is playing a nice supporting role to the tobacco flavor.

The room note still sucks, but that's more of a problem for my wife than it is for me. No matter anyway. She's puffing on her Vagina Slim (Virginia Slim, but I call them "Vagina Slim") cigarettes the smell of which I find offensive. Funny how you hate the smell of cigarette smoke once you are no longer a cigarette smoker.

If you like high nicotine tobacco, a little bit of "Lakeland", and have a year to age it, I highly recommend Dark Birdseye. A bottle or two of wine probably wouldn't hurt either.

Happy Smoking!

--Darren

2. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

It's certainly a good smoke - as it comes, and I never heard of anyone ageing it before, sounds good!. I occasionally get some from the bulk jar at the B&M, but it's cut a little too fine fine for me.
    Cheers OT

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Thanks for the post - sound like this could well be one to try - especially if it goes with wine!

Best as ever

Gerry

4. Blue

Blue Member

I wonder, do different wines alter your taste of the tobacco?

5. Blue

Blue Member

I can see an enjoyable round of experiments coming up :)

6. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Well I'm just a peasant...and think the finest accompaniment to a pipe of strong tobacco is a pint of real ale - good hand-pulled English bitter...not the nitrogen pumped, chemical laden, gassy lager derivatives!. Apart from a glass or two of a decent Port, I leave the vino to the estate manager (wife!) :eek:hyeah:
    that's my daily rant out of the way! - I'll get back to thinking of ways for these newbies to get a thick layer of cake! :eek:hyeah:
    Have a nice day! OT

7. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

It is the VA equivlent of 5 Bros with the cut and a fine smoke. And yes it goes wonderful with red wine as do all of them really. I smoke and drink red wine often in the eveing. A great pairing. But then beer, martinis, margaritas etc go good too LOL.

8. beeftip

beeftip Member

I was drinking a Cabernet with the DBE. I was really taken with how well they went together.

The only other time I've had a revelation like this was when I was smoking GLP Chelsea Morning with a very hoppy, locally brewed India Pale Ale.

Oh, wait. There was that time when I was smoking Penzance and drinking Scotch. Johnnie Walker Black Label to be specific. Yes, JWB is good Scotch. You single malt snobs can keep your snickering to yourself. In fact, here's a great post about the different Johnnie Walker blends. http://philalawyer.net/2011/01/a-proper-ranking-of-the-johnnie-walker-blends/

Stouts and porters go really well with Peterson Irish Flake.

I should do a whole thing on spirit and tobacco pairings. Yes. Yes, I think I will. It'll be a good excuse to smoke and drink. Like I need one.

9. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Man, I've wanted to try DBE for a very, very long time! I love the Kendal Dark...have you had that, and if so how would you compare them?

It's also extremely fine cut, and very potent. The stuff dries out really easily, but it doesn't bother me too much. It's a wonderful, albeit very strong and rather quick, smoke. Full of deep, dark, rich tobacco flavors, but also a touch of soapiness in the background :cheers:

10. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

I've had this one on the list to try for quite some time, sounds like a real winner.

I once heard them referred to as Vagina Slimes lol

11. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

DBE is an outstanding tobacco, if you like full flavor ,and high nic. I am smoking 5 yr old DBE, not because I age it, just my hoarding nature. It is still as strong and sharp as when fresh. To my tastes, Kendal Kentucky is the true king of high nic, and strong. It is the much stronger, and meaner relative of the 5 Bros.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.