G&H minus the Lakeland Essence?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Mington, Feb 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Are there any G&H pipe tobaccos out there that do not have the Lakeland Essence?

I am starting like some of the Lakeland's out there like Condor and Ennerdale, but when I tried both G&H Bob's Chocolate Flake and Rum Flake, I tasted more Lakeland essence than either chocolate or rum which was disappointing to me.
    Not saying I don't like those 2, but I could not detect or taste the flavors they were supposed to have, at least by name.
    I tried Revor Plug once and don't think it had the essence.

What other G&H's do not have the essence? :msty:

2. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Bright CR flake, Brown Flake, Dark Flake (unscented) are three 'off the top of my head'....I'm not fond of too much fancy flavouring, and while of the opinion that both establishments produce excellent smoking fodder - I always try to go for Sammy G's stuff! IMO - it is just a little better.....but I do have the advantage of being able to access both with relative ease.
    OT

3. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

CR flake has the least amount to my taste buds. Nice!

Louisiana flake (CR + Perique) has a little of the Lakeland goodness. Delicious!

Best Brown No.2 is pretty light on the essence. Very tasty.

I haven't tried Scotch flake but it's supposed to be pretty mild.

Synjeco's Pipe Smoker's Haven

4. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Louisiana Flake
    Kentucky Nougat
    Gawith Red

5. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Dark Birdseye is so extremely lightly flavored as to be essentially unflavored, but I do detect the faintest HINT of something there. It won't ghost and will pretty much taste like straight tobacco.

Kendal Dark is unscented and it pure, 100% unadulterated tobacco. It's the same blend as dark flake, but in a fine shag cut.

Several of the ropes, most of the shags, and a number of flakes are unscented.

You may like Best Brown#2, which is a very lightly flavored flake. It DOES have a "lakeland" style flavoring to it, but it's not even strong enough to notice in the pouch/tin aroma. It WILL ghost your pipes, but again, it is very mildly flavored. The tobacco really shines through. To my mind its sort of like St. Bruno in that respect - there's something definitely there, but it's not overwhelming

Bright CR Flake is made by GH and has a reputation for being a suitable candidate for an FVF substitute when Samuel Gawith tobaccos are hard to come by in the US

6. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Come to think of it, I did have DF and Scottish and they both did not have "the essence" and were very good!
    Thanks for the other suggestions too guys.
    Lightly flavored doesn't bother me.
    Maybe one day I will be able to detect the cocoa or chocolate in the BCF and the rum in RF. Gonna keep trying. ;)
    lol

7. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I have found that the more I keep smoking the scented blends, the more I can distinguish them. At first I was nearly convinced that the major difference is simply the degree of scenting and the tobacco base, and almost didn't believe that the different things like maple, liquorice, almond, etc. were present. I thought it was all pretty much straight flowers, some applied liberally and some conservatively.

This led me to initially be unhappy with Kendal Flake. There is most definitely almond there, but it's just a matter of being familiar enough with the scented stuff and regularly smoking several varieties of it to be able to catch the differences. Without being able to find the almond, something about the flake seemed thin, light, underwhelming. Now that I've found a little more nuance to it, it's a far more pleasant smoke. Similar story with Ennerdale - it's got a subtle fruitiness to it that I used to just be 100% unable to detect.

My first introduction to this kind of stuff was tinned BB#2....still probably my favorite tobacco blend. I thought it was powerfully floral, and couldn't imagine smoking Ennerdale which people said was even more so. Now the stuff is positively mild to me....in a good way. Plenty of flavor, just enough nicotine, high quality leaf is used, but the floral flavor that IS present is far more familiar to me, and without the novelty it starts to sink into the background a little bit more easily.

Anyway, moral of the story is you probably WILL start finding those nuances and other little hints of this or that which seem so implausible at first. It's really a matter of just smoking them more and more, and even (in my experience) making a point of trying several different scented blends

8. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Dark Plug unscented.

9. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Tried some La Flake today, my first venture into Lakeland. I'm glad I was expecting a little soap, because I definitely tasted it. It wasn't overwhelming, and by the halfway point I was really digging it. I'm still working on my flake technique, so there were several relights. However, the quality of the leaf along with the flavor made it an outstanding smoke. I'll certainly be ordering more of this for the old cellar. Thanks for recommendation, fellas.

Sent using Forum Runner

10. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

BBno.2 A very nice flake!

11. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Okay, I've tried 3 of them now: LA Flake, Brown Flake unscented, and Dark Flake unscented. I got them about a week ago, and I was also looking for light Lakeland essence. My ranking from strongest to lightest essence is:

1. Louisiana Fkake - scruptuous but soapy. This is my favorite for now, and the soapiness isn't overpowering.
    2. Brown Flake unscented - mellow and easy with a light soapiness that fades as you progress. Good stuff.
    3. Dark Flake unscented - pretty stout, and the soapy flavor died away very quickly. This one has the potential to top La Flake as my favorite.
    I'll report back when I've smoked a few more bowls of each. I will say this. These tobaccos all burn to a powdery ash, just like Sam Gawith Best Brown (which is the only one SG flake I've been able to try). I'm very impressed with the quality.

Sent using Forum Runner

12. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I'm not really sure what the Lakeland Essence is. Is it the horrible blasphemy that is 1792 (which reminds me, I need to smoke some more of that), dripping with violets, geraniums, and citrus? Or is it the unspeakable crime against humanity that is Ennerdale, reeking of fruit, perfume, and herbs? Or is it the subtle lemon grass and licorice of the weapon of mass destruction known as Grousemoor? Or is it the subtle chocolate and vanilla, topped with a faint hint of lavender, to be found in that fierce and demonic pipe-slayer Scotch Flake Aromatic? Please define what it is that you wish to avoid.

13. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

I'm not certain either, Andy. I took it to mean perfume and soap, so that's what I looked for. My next venture will be Kendall Flake, Glengarry, and Ennerdale. Maybe I'll have a better idea of Lakeland essence then.

Sent using Forum Runner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.