G&H Scotch Flake Aromatic: not a review

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by AndyLowry, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Since I'm unable to conjure up flights of metaphor and striking similes at the moment, or, well, ever, I'd like to bring up the aforementioned tobacco. Today is my first acquaintance with it. Bought a full box based on the description and various reviews at the usual place, which made it sound like a toned-down, scented Virginia flake version of Bob's Chocolate.

Opening the wrapper, I could definitely detect cocoa, maybe moreso than with Bob's. Couldn't find the vanilla it's reputed to have, but cocoa and vanilla are so commonly paired that I probably can't separate the aromas anyway when mixed.

In the bowl, it's completely unlike what it smells like. (Sure, lots of tobaccos are like that.) There's no chocolate to be found, or vanilla either. The toppings disappear into the tobacco, making the Virginia deeper and darker in flavor. Yes, I know depth and darkness aren't really flavors, but I suspect that y'all know what I mean. The tobacco comes off as having more power than it really does, and it's an interesting effect.

Burns nicely, doesn't turn to tarry-cigarry gack towards the bottom, and is an all-around decent smoke. Not filled with subtlety and layers, but that's exactly what I want sometimes: a good, mouth-filling, easy-going smoke. (5100 usually fills that need, but it's a lot lighter than this.)

Keep in mind that I may be out of my mind from having smoked too much Ennerdale. It may be that this tobacco is filled with heliotrope and African violets and I just can't tell anymore. Anyway, it's not horrible and you might not hate it. What better recommendation could I make?

2. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I like the way you talk, Andy. You can really work, 'The Kings English'. You're way too smart for me.

Be well.
    Ol Brokedik.

3. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

That's a kindly compliment, and I thank you for it. I wish I were smart, so I could be rich. But then I'd be bored. And that's bad. :)

Ol Brokedik likes this.
  4. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Andy, you the man!

Be well.
    Randall. (Ol Brokedik)

5. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Thanks for the "Not a review". :th1:

6. Prof

Prof Member

Smart and Rich are not necessarily synonymous - most of our congressmen are rich, as are most (all) of the presidential candidates...just sayin'.

7. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Andy, that's one of the best non reviews I've ever read. The fact that you're loopy from smoking Ennerdale is immaterial.

8. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Excellent not-review. I did not find it not helpful. I would love to read your not-review of G&H Dark Flake Unscented after coming off a week of Condor and ale.

9. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

" Anyway, it's not horrible and you might not hate it. What better recommendation could I make?"

OK,,, I'm in.

:)

10. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

This is not a response to your not review.

I didn't not just smoke 2 oz of Scotch Flake unscented and I didn't not like it. I'm notn't going to try the aromatic. Hope I don't not like it. :D

11. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

I'm drowning in double negatives!!!!:eek:

el guero likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.