G.L. Pea$$$$$$$e ???

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Albert, May 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albert

Albert Active Member

I frequent my local b&m and buy most of my tobacco there. Their tins are reasonably priced for the most part and compare to what Id get online after shipping, so I support their effort.... But every one of their GL pease tins is marked at around $17.... Well above not only online, but all the other brand tins in the store...

Just an observation...guess Ill ask them next time why that is...

2. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I'm one of those guys who just doesn't get the GLP line of tobaccos. Everything I've tried smoked a little on the harsh side. I've got some tins in my cellar. I hope they improve with age.

GLP might have a pricing structure for their customers that your B&M can't take advantage of. In other words, doesn't buy enough from GLP to warrant a lower cost. I'm not sure about this, but it could be one reason.

OBD.

3. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Maybe C&D won't give them wholesale prices for some reason? I'd like to support my local B&M too and I try to throw them a small purchase now and then but it's really hard for me to justify their prices when there are such good eTailers. Plus the proprietor kinda rubs me the wrong way.

4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

....I'm surprised!....USD $17 is exactly UK £10.50 and that is the price we pay for a lot of 50gm. tins - slightly more for the Dunhill range (which in my opinion is not worth extra - since it's days of Scandinavian make!), some of our tins are still in the £9.00 bracket, and one or two slightly less - if you shop around, for example the last tin of Orlik GS I bought was £8.75, the pricing of UK tobacco does not vary as widely as in US.

Being in the UK I don't have access to the Peace tobaccos, but have had a couple of tins of 'Westminster' in trades, from the internet 'adulation' I was probably expecting something sublime, it was o.k. - but had nothing that would pull me away from the likes of 'Presbyterian', 'Punchbowle', 'Erinmore Balkan' etc. - when in the mood for that type of blend. The rest of his range will remain a mystery, as I shall not be paying the asking price, plus shipping - even though I do get curious about these things from time to time.
    Cheers OT

5. Marc

Marc Active Member

Support your local tobacconist gentleman, because someday the internet will go away for tobacco purchases and you will wish your local tobacconist was still in business, if the GLP Pease blends are more than you are willing to pay, make a different selection, you never know what your next new favorite will be! I myself, have started boycotting McClelland Virginia's for the very same reason at my local tobacconist, I smoke more OTC blends now to stretch my tobacco budget.

6. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

What I've noticed is that in my area, the b&m's seem to focus on particular toby-houses/blenders. One b&m has Rattrays and MacB, another b&m has no Rattrays nor MacB but does have Esoterica/Butera and GH, while a 3rd has Peterson and McClelland but none of the other smokes mentioned previously, and then there's a 4th that carries a little of everything but their pricing is higher for everything! The b&m's that specialize in a particular blending houses products ( like say, Fibourg & Treyer) charges nearly 30% more than the avg tin cost at the same b&m because they are the only b&m locally (and for many miles around) that carry that toby or blending houses leaf.
    That may be a similar situation in your area too, these b&m's aren't dumb, they gotta do what they can to stay afloat. I just hate seeing 'em disappear so whenever I stop in I make sure I pick up a few (4-6 or more) tins and if it's a toby to cellar AND smoke, I'll get 3-5 of each if they have it in stock. Otherwise, I'll just pick a bunch to try.

:wiz:
    Ed
    Puff

P.S. but then again, they could be mis-priced as in the price for a 100 gm tin accidentally being assigned to a 50 gm tin (seldom will you see it the other way around though, funny how that seems to be the case......)

7. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Tell your B&M to buy from Smoking Pipes... afterwards, they can tack 10% on to their costs, and you can buy local without getting hosed!

Just trying to give all the dogs a bone, here...

8. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I wish! My local (by which I mean the only one in the state) is at least 50% higher than the average eTail price.

9. Redone

Redone Member

Could it just be that it's kind of the new kid in town? I could be wrong here.

10. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

They are most likely buying thru a distributor, and that may be the problem, ie distributor requirements. That said some sellers, such as Arturo Fuente are notorious about their stocking demands to obtain favorable pricing.

11. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

My local toby shop's tobaccos are all from GLP housed in jars with all kind of name labels on them. THey have a few of their tins as well. I really have tried a bunch of their tobys and I just cant get into the GLP's I've tried. No disrespect to GLP or those that love them, but maybe I'm doing something wrong with the process of smoking them. I keep trying though as they have many jars.

12. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I doubt you're doing anything wrong.

GLP tobaccos seem to take me awhile to figure out. Even so, they're not always worth the effort. Personal tastes are funny things. People like to rag on others for not liking something, but the truth is we're all different. And there are exactly ZERO blenders out there whose total production is loved by everyone.

My recommendation is to keep trying them if it suits you to do so. If it doesn't, concentrate on what you enjoy. That's what pipe smoking is all about. I enjoy some GLP blends and some I can and do live happily without.

13. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Exactly! That's why Baskin Robbins has all those flavors!!!

14. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Right on! Just don't make your B&M list all the GLP flavors they have and then ask for vanilla. :D

Schmitz Bitz and Kiowapipe like this.
  15. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

:haha:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.