GAF bulk alternative?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by soundlzrd, Dec 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

A looking for a less expensive alternative to Dunhills flake, if there is one. I am looking to build the cellar out, but it is expensive to add a pound of tins. However, if it has to be that way, it will happen just the same.

HCraven likes this.
  2. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Some of the guys have said that Iwan Reis' Virginia Flake (IRC) is a good substitute. I haven't tried it yet myself, but you might ask Gary or Yinyang, as I know they both had good things to say about it.

3. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

All I hope they find there way hear, as I would be interested to see. IR is less than half the cost I just saw!

HCraven likes this.
  4. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

It gets great reviews...

5. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Indeed, seems to be popular.

6. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

GAF nothing, I want to find something similar in strength and flavor to University Flake that I can get in bulk!

7. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

(Ignoring Nesta's dismissal of Dunhill Flake just to metion Frankenberry Flake...:))

Iwan Ries' VA Flake is about as close a match as you can get. It has a bit of a Danish styled top note I detect, but it is mild. If you have had PS LTF, Sean....I think if you mixed LTF and GAF 25/75% respectively, the blend would be IRC VA Flake. At least this is what my taste buds are telling me.

And yeah, I say for a little less than half price, it's more than worth it.

8. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

No, not dismissal. GAF is good. Very good. University Flake is just better!

I like Dunhill Flake, but honestly don't find it much better than OGS or LNF. Which is not dismissive...it IS better....just not enough so that it's worth the extra money, to my way of thinking.

This is, however, based on a 2 or 3 bowl assessment of the stuff, so my opinion on the matter is relatively meaningless :)

9. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Nesta,
    After my first tin of UF I was with you, however the tins that fallowed do not seem to stand up to memory.

Ying,

If that is the mix, I could afford enough of both those blends to make that, and still have the real deal when I am feeling flush with cash!

10. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

75% GAF/25% LTF doesn't save you much over 100% GAF.

Tastes are subjective(see Nesta's assertion that UF is better...;)), but I think IRC VA Flake is worth it...or at least, worth trying out.

11. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

I have only one tin of Dunhill Flake and I haven't opened it yet. I am always wondering if it is a good as I have read. One of these days I wil open it and find out.
    My favorite Va is FVF but I am always looking for a good alternative. I have come to love McCranies Red Ribbon but it is nothing like FVF. I really like Dark Star but it is definitely a different animal entirely also. Opening Night leaves me wanting more. I have gotten into Vapers lately and Telegraph Hill is knocking my socks off. OMG that is a fabulous tobacco! I always loved Escudo and I still do but Telegraph Hill has surpassed it in my rotation. Sorry to have moved the topic off center. I guess I am rambling.

Paul

12. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

For me it is mostly in the prep - it has to be rubbed out for me, or it goes all hot and ashy really easily because it burns SO easily for a flake. When it's rubbed out, it's actually easier for me to sip it slowly and get the good flavors from it without burning too hot....folded and stuffed I tend to puff too hard on it.

That said, I just popped a new tin last night and see they've totally changed the presentation. The tin note is ever so slightly different than I remember, but it still tastes and smells fantastic. The difference in prelight aroma is probably all in my head, or due to the stuff being pretty aired out by the time I finished my last tin. Still, I wonder whats going on with the changes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.