Gatlinburlier in Gatlinburg TN reviews

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by davidmackv, Feb 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

Anyone been to this place? We go to the Smokeys every year and I was thinking of stopping in. Is it a nice place or tourist trap place?

2. user2428

user2428 Active Member

Its a pretty nice place. Its not a big store. Its a quaint corner shop. Its on the main strip in G-burg so you'll have to park and probably should visit if you plan on walking the shops for a while. Its located in the old mall next to ripleys aquarium on the corner. Third floor I think. They have quite a few pipes, a decent selection of house blends, snuff, chew, dip, a cigar humidor, etc. etc. You can smoke your pipe inside the store and they let you try samples!

There are lots of places to buy cigs and tobacco products in town, but this is the only "Pipe" place I know of right off hand...

I generally try and visit every time I go to G-burg.

Mark w4mms and ol gto like this.
  3. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I was there a few times in the early nineties, and returned in maybe 98. Nice shop, nice people.

4. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

Awesome I will have to stop in. We always stay in a cabin in Gatlinburg and walk the strip. I know exactly where that little mall is. Thanks Archer and JP.

5. user1975

user1975 Active Member

I've been many times, but haven't been to Gatlinburg in a few years. I like the shop, and Ira, the owner is a stand up guy.

6. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

It was really nice when I was there last year. You should really enjoy visiting there!

7. Prof

Prof Member

Little bitty place, just jam packed with stuff, the owner is twitchy (Richard? I am sorry I forget his name) but you start talking about pipes and he is a joy, really enjoyed it. Turned me on to MacB vintage syrian; worth fighting the crowds, prices are B&M plus a bit, as you might expect from a tourist haven.

8. troyn60

troyn60 Member

I was there last October for my first visit, and I was pretty pleased. They have some decent pipes (I bought a freehand there), and a bunch of house blend tobaccos. As I'm mainly a flake smoker, I was disappointed with the flake selection, but that was okay. They have a ton of cigars there, too. The guys who work there are great, as well.

9. jkstewart1

jkstewart1 Member

I'm headed that way for a long weekend in June. I'll have to check it out!

10. smokehouse

smokehouse Member

I was there two summers ago. Cute little place.

11. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

Finally someplace in that area I can go shopping. The wife and kids shop like crazy when we are there. We always go to Tanger Outlet. Now a place just for Daddy. Oh yeah.

12. RS422

RS422 Member

Great place. Started going there back in the early 80's. Ira and Jan are great people. Have spent a lot of money while there and brought home many great pipes. Try their Gatlinburley, a great light english blend.

13. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

Well, just got back from Gatlinburg. Stopped by the Gatlinburlier and bought a couple things and smoked a bowl with the owner. He was really nice and loved talking about pipes.

14. ichabod

ichabod Member

I just got back from a trip to the smokies and stopped by this place. I'm assuming it was the owner who was working there, insisted that I load up a free bowl and have a smoke in the shop.

I picked up some Cades Cove Cavendish, said it was his best seller and he also recommended the Newfound Blend after I told him that I smoke CH all day long. I've been smoking newfound since I got it, pretty good stuff.

bubbagump likes this.
  15. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Went there in 1991. Me & a few friends did a road trip and stopped in there for two days before swinging back to the coast. Great time. I would go back.

16. phinz

phinz Active Member

We live part time up there (the rest in Knoxville) and I try and make it to the shop all the time. They're great guys. Richard actually officiated a friend of mine's wedding a few years ago. I just wish they could expand to include a seating area/smoking lounge.

17. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

It's a nice little shop. It's definitely worth stopping by.
    I've been smoking the crap out of that stuff since I hit Gatlinburlier on Sunday. That really is a great blend. VERY smooth, mellow, etc. It has a faint chocolate/cocoa taste to me. Not a strong "topping" induced taste, but kinda how CH has a bit of flavor to it.

Yeah...I bought some PS LBF when I was there. That stuff was DRY....no idea how long it had been in that plastic baggie. I smoked a couple flakes and then tossed the rest into a tin with a moisture disk to try and rehydrate it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.