1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Gawith Hoggarth

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by BluesGuy, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BluesGuy

BluesGuy Member

Was contemplating trying some of these....any recommendations would be appreciated.

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Hi BluesGuy,

I am halfway through a "MacArthur" MM bowl (real long & tall MM Pride, thus, big deep bowl!) of Bob's Chocolate Flake. I highly recommend that one for sure. Don't have any direct experience with any more but there are some other G&H Flakes that I'm on the look out for (like "CR Flake", and a few others). But "Bob's Chocolate Flake is the only one I can truly say anything about. I like it.

3. IHT

IHT Member

i believe GH&Co are becoming my favorite blending house. they have so much to choose from if you like strong tobacco's, ropes, curly cuts, and some very nice mild aromatics that won't remind you of cheap stuff from the drug store.

so, it depends on what you like, really.

I'm a fan of:
    CR Flake
    Coniston Cut Plug
    Dark Flake unscented
    Dark Flake scented
    Curly Cut Deluxe
    Brown Twist Sliced

i also have a few samples of some others that i haven't re-tried in years, like Louisiana Flake, Bosun Cut Plug...

very, very good blending house. i hear they make some good latakia blends as well, i'm just not a fan of latakia (although Bobs Choc Flake has it, and that's darn good, too).

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Ennerdale is weird. Not bad, but very, very weird. Really floral, lilacs and almonds or something. Ghosts a pipe something FIERCE.

5. The German Shepherd

The German Shepherd Member

You REALLY need to put Rum Flake and Scented Brown Flake on your list.

Jay

6. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

sas, isn't ennerdale SG???

and i like lakelands, theirs are very good, specifically the DF scented. also had their brown rope, forgot the name. good but stronger than all hell.

7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Nope - Ennerdale is the top selling Gawith and Hoggarth in the UK, apparently. Grousemoor is the Sam Gawith lakeland - much gentler.

Rum Flake is good.

8. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Scary avatar guy (above) got me hooked on Dark Flake Unscented. It kills.

9. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

The badgers have invaded, there goes the neighborhood :)

10. IHT

IHT Member

indeed, moo.

on topic for the OP...
    if you like Va/Pers, put Louisiana Flake on your list. had a bowl tonight (instead of Coniston Cut Plug) in a Larrysson Pipes 'Bun', and it was excellent.
    i consider myself a Va/Per whore, and it was one of them i had never tried - until tonight.

11. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

I like a lot of them. Favorite is probably Dark Flake Unscented, but also smoke a good deal of the following:

Rum Flake
    Balkan Mixture
    Conniston Cut Plug
    Kendal Kentucky
    Sliced Brown Twist
    Dark Birdseye

12. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

If you like a blend with a fair ammount of Latakia - then Balkan Mixture can be recommended. Despite its big "camp fire" aroma Latakia on its own can smoke thin and be unsatisfying, this Balkan Mixture has enough back up from other tobaccos to ensure it offers a satisfactory smoke.

North Star is a light bright yellow viginia of ribbon cut but has more flavour than many similar, which really are just cigarette tobaccos re classified, and if you like a fairly mild smoke is good; it can also be used to mix with tobaccos you find too strong, everwhelming or just plain rough and it tones them down no end,

Best to all

Gerry

13. Neuromancer

Neuromancer Member

Bob's Chocolate Flake
    Broken Scotch Cake

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.