Gawith's Chocolate Flake

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by sorringowl, Apr 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sorringowl

sorringowl Purveyor of PAAD

Just got a tin of SG's Chocolate Flake and can't wait to try this. Any purveyor's of this toby? What are your thoughts on this weed?

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Sweet plus latakia isnt my thing . Have to admit .. After the suff dries enough to smoke .. if it didnt have latakia in it I proably would flip out ! It's good stuff for sure and I do like it even w/ the latakia to some extent . I'm guessing the best brown flake would be the way to go for me . I think if you dont mind Latakia w/ a litte sweet .. then youre really gonna like it !!

3. justMike

justMike Member

After the write up in my blog about this flake, I won't pretend that it's anything other than an essential part of my TAD list; it singlehandedly carried me through a physically and emotionally difficult winter with its ability to deliver a reassuringly high quality smoke treating weather conditions that left every other blend I had struggling to make their presence felt with contemptious ease.

Just this week, I've gone back to it for the first time since the snow cleared, and even though I've found other blends that can deal with the milder weather, it still delivers that reassuring quality that hooked me through winter...

Strong and robust without being overbearing. Full flavoured and rich without a particularly high nicotine content. Admittedly, as Ruffin has said, it needs forethought before smoking, but it's not particularly fussy about how dry it needs to be to deliver a decent smoke. The irregularities in flake thicknesses in the tin merely add to the ritual, requiring each flake to be assessed on its merrits and prepared accordingly, which for me, merely adds quality to the ritual of preparing a bowl prior to smoking.... Definately one I need to ensure is always available whenever the mood takes me...

4. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

What can I say that Mike hasn't? Very good stuff. My significant other appreciates the room note as well. While I still don't smoke in the house, she has been known to go out on my old back porch and light my dottle, just to smell it. Speaking of dottle, I tend to smoke it at a higher humidity than most of my tobacco, as I think the sweetness and flavor come out a little more that way, even if I have a little moisture at the end. It seems like it refuses to get hot or bitey just the same. Just my 2 cents.

5. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

SG Mayor's Choc is great smoke! The lat in it is barely noticable unless you're lookin' for it. GH's Bob's Choc is up there as well. Both wonderful flakes.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

6. Prof

Prof Member

Ok, who has got this in stock?

B

7. CarlBC

CarlBC Member

Sadly, it seems Chocolate Flake leaves the shelves right behind SG's FVF and BBF. All three have become irritatingly essential in my TAD list.

:cheers:
    -- Carl

8. Redone

Redone Member

Yep just ran over to 4noggins site...sold out! I did order some other great stuff thou. nice guy there Richard...great CS!

Old Codger likes this.
  9. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

10. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Thanks for the info, gents! Don Ruffino very generously sent me a tin of this which I'm saving for something special and it sounds like a very gourmet smoke indeed.

11. CarlBC

CarlBC Member

Just a friendly fyi -- your links are to Gawith & Hogarth's Bob's Chocolate Flake, rather than Samuel Gawith's Chocolate Flake. I still want to thank you, as I haven't tried the G&H BCF yet!

:cheers:
    -- Carl

12. sorringowl

Interesting comments, Gents,
    It's been crazy the last few days but I definitely think I will have a chance to try a bowl of this today. I like a lil' sweet with Latakia (someone on here turned me on to blending Squadron Leader with C&D's Green River Vanilla and I love that stuff!), so, I think I'll like this.

13. telltime

telltime Active Member

I was recently in a local B&M and they had a tin or two in stock. I HATE latakia, but if someone really wants this and has some SG BBF to trade, p.m. me and I'll go grab it and trade you straight up, tin for tin. Not sure how much I can get.

14. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Between the two GH vs. SG, I like the GH better. Both are great smokes but for me, the GH has more of that chocolatey goodness I want (when I want choc) and a nice mellow smoke.

Hardly notice the lat in the Bob's but a whisp of La-La Essences do come thru but dissipates quickly.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

15. Gondar

Gondar Member

I have some on the way to me now - can't wait to test it. choc and lat sounds like an interesting mix. Sweet and salty all at once like sealsalt and almond chocolate.
    I did not realise it had latakia in it because I have more or less stopped reading the descriptions as they all sound more or less the same anyway. :lol:

16. sorringowl

Had my first bowl of this the other night. So far, here are a few observations: a lil' hard to keep lit but I imagine that was because I smoked it right out of the tin with no drying time. I think I will give it some time to dry out next time around. Good mix of tobaccos as none of them are overpowering. However (again, maybe because this was a little wet for my liking), seemed a bit strong to me, but in a good way.

Think I will give this another go today.

17. remington

remington Member

Just had my first bowl tonight. I rubbed it out and air-pocket-method stuffed it into my classic sized Falcon briar bowl. Really long smoke, I let the last 1/5 of it go out and dumped it to go in and watch the Sabres v Bruins game. I had no idea this had Latakia in it! The only other Latakia I've had has been in Dunhill NC. Def. distinct in NC, but more suddel because of the sweetness in the blend. It does explain the "I have no idea what that flavor is" I was trying to figure out while I smoking listening to the pre-game banter on the am radio.

I rubbed the flake out, straight out of the "tin" (I opened the tin and immediately put it in a small mason jar), and let the bowl sit for a few hours. Should not have loaded the bowl and just let the rubbed out tobacco sit out as the smoke was very wet. It burned well, no relights necessary after the initial light, tamp and relight but - I took the bowl off 2-3 times to wipe out the moisture collected in the pan. I thought it was a little strange that it was such a wet smoke yet no issues with the burn.

Impressions - Not knowing the latakia was in the blend, I was instantly baffled by the flavor, which I liked but have never experienced before as I'm not that experienced in pipe tobaccos. I'm coming from mostly Sutliff aros, Dunhill Flake Virginia, & one bowl of SG FVF. When the smoke was hitting my tongue, I was surprised at the similarities between this and the Dunhill Flake sweetness I really, really like except I was getting this slightly bitter, maybe tangy? flavor mixed in there with a unique after taste. I kept asking myself, "what the heck is that"? Was that supposed to be the chocolate? as in how dark chocolate can be bitter?

And as far as the chocolate goes, the sweetness in the smoke is how you would imagine chocolate would be sweet if you smoked it. I've never been able to get chocolate from tobaccos in chocolate flavored cigars and this blend is no exception in pipe tobacco form. So maybe it wasn't the chocolate at all but the virginia coming through, or was it? How do they get the chocolate in there in the first place? I know they add it after cutting as they advertise, but in what form?

The next time I try this it will be in my well broken in standard Falcon briar bowl - which is awesome right now. It's like my classic bowl is now only the flavors are much richer. That and I'm going to let the tobacco dry out a few hours before packing the bowl. Should have done that with the FVF, but now know it needs to be done. I dried out a Dunhill Flake 24hours and felt like I lost the flavor I liked so much when I popped open the tin and smoked it right away. This is different, it needs to be dried out.

18. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I really like G&H Bob's Chocolate Flake. It has become one of my go to blends. The latakia is barely a whisper. It is there and you'll pick up a little whisp here and there of it but it is so light it probably won't bother most people unless you just really, really dislike any latakia whatsoever. The chocolate flavor is light as well, but it is there. It isn't like Hershey's milk chocolate, more like a darker semi-sweet chocolate. The latakia balances perfectly with the chocolate. Sometimes I even mix in a little extra latakia just for a different twist.

The base tobaccos would stand on their own with ease in BCF. Add a little latakia and a little chocolate and it is an interesting smoke. I don't get tired of it and it doesn't overdo any of the flavors. Day in and day out I still enjoy this blend and I don't seem to tire of it. That is pretty rare. Most blends I like but grow tired of after a bit.

I have not been able to get my hands on any of the G&H chocolate flake yet but when I get a chance I'll try it and see how it compares.

19. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

I just cracked open a tin of this today and I am almost done with my first bowl. It's fantastic. The hint of cocoa is subtle and in no way impedes the taste of the tobacco. I will be getting a few more tins of this!

20. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Great stuff, but only an occasional smoke for me. I also appear to be in the minority as one who greatly prefers the SG version to the G&H.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.