1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

GBD 9438 Prehistoric Restoration

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Riff Raff, Dec 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

I bought this GBD 9438 in Prehistoric last week, via Ebay. I thought this was going to be a simple buff and clean, but the pipe took a little more effort due to a self-inflicted issue.

I cleaned the bowl with my new retort, which worked well and really scoured the bowl. I cleaned the tars off the bowl rim which revealed a nicely polished rim edge that I love on Prehistoric grade GBD's. The rest of the bowl was buffed lightly with tripoli, white diamond and then several coats of carnuba wax.

While I worked in the bowl, the stem was soaked in a mild Oxy-clean solution (the brass GBD rondell was covered with some grease). I removed the outer layer of oxidation with 1500 and then 2000 grit paper. There were several light tooth indentions on the top of the stem and they popped out nicely with some heat. The nicks/cuts on the middle of the stem (handling?)took some effort with 800 grit paper. After the 2000 grit paper, I used 8000 and then 12000 grades of micromesh. The stem was then polished on the buffer with white diamond and then plastic polish.

When I went to photograph what I thought was the finished pipe, I was disappointed to see a crack on the underside of the stem, near and through the button. I'm not sure if the heat for the teeth marks or retort caused this issue but I'm 99% sure it wasn't there when I started. To fix that, I greased a cleaner, inserting into the stem. I then dribbled some superglue down into the crack. When it was dried, I sanded it smooth with 800 then 1500 and 2000 grade paper, then the micromesh and buffing wheel. The crack looks and feels solid now and I don't think it will cause me any issues.

Before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Crack Repair (with some hair/fuzz...):

[​IMG]

2. Alpha Lyra

Alpha Lyra Member

3. Imrandy

Imrandy Member

Classic looking pipe and glad the stem came out good (if the stem bugs you i know a guy who would take that off your hands)

4. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

Nice work!

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Lovely pipe ! What a great shape

6. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Great work sir. I love it when a plan comes together.

PipeLotus likes this.
  7. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Nice restauration :)

8. krusty

krusty Active Member

Looks fine Riff Raff!
    Would you mind detailing how you go about using heat to raise the tooth indentations? Thanks

9. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

Very carefully, I wave a soft-flame lighter over the indention. That causes the vulcanite to spring back somewhat into it's original shape. You have to be careful not to scorch the vulcanite or that causes more work to remove than the indention. It just takes a little practice. Dents that don't come back, I fill in with superglue, but that wasn't necessary in this case.

krusty likes this.
  10. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Good looking pipe! I bought a GBD prehistoric estate once, and it smokes pretty decently, but it was in bad shape when I got it...it was the only time I've tried to fix up an old, super-oxidized stem, and I all but destroyed it, not having the proper stuff on hand. There is no more than the faintest hint of a lip at the stem anymore, and the whole thing is worn down and scratchy. I use a soft bit on it (which I don't like) to protect it from damage. I hope to have a new stem made for it sometime, and possibly have someone open the draft just a bit for me, too. Mine has a sterling band on it, which appears to be purely cosmetic, which when polished up adds a really nice flash to it...it has a lot of potential, but due to the problems I rarely smoke it.

Good to see you did much better than I did!

11. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

I think this is my 13th GBD estate (one unsmoked of the bunch). I have three other 9438s in Fantasy, Tapestry and New Standard grades. I'm working on getting a Virgin grade pipe next. I also have a Colossus Seventy-Six GBD in shape 1976, which is an oversized 9438.

12. Imrandy

Imrandy Member

That virgin pipe would not happen to be on ebay if so i will back off of bidding on it if you are trying to get it

13. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

No sir, good luck to you!

14. Imrandy

Imrandy Member

Bent by chance or the straits?

15. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Very nice job! I really like that shape!:)

16. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

I added a 9438 Virgin this week. It's not in mint condition, with some handling marks and one tooth indention on the bottom side of the Perspex stem. An unsmoked 9438 New Era brought $272 last night, this one went for considerably less.

Here's a before & after:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Bulldog

Bulldog Member

Nice work. It feels good to bring an old pipe back to life doesn't it?

18. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

Yes, I would much rather own a pipe with some history that I've restored than a new pipe. I have added two more 9438's since that post (another New Standard and a Seventy-Six).

19. psquared

psquared DGErwin, my horse would like a word with you...

Where do you live again...:whis:

20. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

Top secret, plus my racks are guarded by a trained attack cat and an old, sleepy Westie....

psquared likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.