1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

GBD

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Tudorp, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tudorp

Tudorp Member

What is the opinions of GBD pipes? I have only one, and is one of my daily smokers. I like it, but don't hear them mentioned much. Or haven't yet (but I've only been around here for a week or so). I don't have any Comoy pipes, but I assume those are the same pipe? Any comments on those in case I see a good deal on a Comoy.

2. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

There's a wide range of quality with GBD, so it's hard to make an accurate assessment of the brand overall. Mine are all from the fifties and sixties and are very nice, but I've had some later ones that were pretty poor. Look for "Virgin," "Conquest," and "Collector" to find good ones. If you like rusticated finishes, some of the older "Prehistorics" are very good (though usually fitted with a Perspex stem, which is a nuisance to keep clean.).

3. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

4. furious

furious Junque collector

Older GBDs (i.e. before the merger with Comoys) are usually great smokers and some go for bargain prices on that auction site. I recently picked up a New Era in a mixed lot for less than $20. That pipe alone is worth more than that, and it smokes great!!

5. Tudorp

Tudorp Member

The one I have I picked up on Ebay as an estate awhile back for under $20. I later did some research and found the very same one I have for sale as estate pipes that sold for around $60, and one, at a pipe shop for sale for $100 which kind of shocked me. But I have seen some go pretty cheap on ebay which is why I was asking. I haven't looked at any Comoys, but understand the GBD and Comoy all come out of the same shop these days, and wasn't sure if they are what I hear the older ones like the one I have are.

6. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

shadow likes this.
  7. maxflatus

maxflatus Member

I have two, a rusticated prince and a bulldog and both are excellent smokers. I don't know the age but I'd put mine about the same or slightly better quality than my Stanwells and well above my (new construction) Petersons. The bulldog has lovely wood and the prince is one of my all time favorite smokers.

8. shadow

shadow Active Member

Here's one of my two GBDs that I have:

[​IMG]

My guess is that it's one of the older ones. I bought it as an Estate but it's a fantastic smoker!
    GBDs are certainly worth a look, and if you can get hold of one the risk of getting a bad one, provided it has been cared for properly, could be rather minimal!

9. Tudorp

Tudorp Member

Here's the one I have. Love it, and one of my favorite dailies..Not sure of the era it's from tho as it was an estate when I got it..

[​IMG]

shadow likes this.
  10. shadow

shadow Active Member

Looks good to me!
    Enjoy!!!:bing:

11. shadow

shadow Active Member

By the way: I have yet to score a Comoy!!!! There were a few on the bay a while ago but their prices went through the roof!!!!!
    Almost as if they were Dunhills!

12. furious

furious Junque collector

I have two Comoys and like both of them. One a Christmas pipe from 1997--a bent bulldog--and another older bent apple from the 50s.

shadow likes this.
  13. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Active Member

I've got a wonderful little GBD straight pot shaped pipe. I've also got 3 Digby's, GBD seconds. All 4 are exceptionally good smokers. I don't think I paid more than 30 bucks combined for all 4 from eBay.

14. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

GBD with metal logo usually on the stem and stamped into the briar are good ones regardless or Comoy merger. He77 even Comoy Comets of that era Rocked! I have a few that i really like and the "shortened warden prince" is always out in rotation.

GBD along with Ben Wade were the beez kneez 50's & 60's.

Ed
    Puff

15. furious

furious Junque collector

Second that comment about Ben Wade. I have a couple from the 1950s and they are fantastic too.

16. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

I have several old GBD's that are great smokers.

17. badbusinessman

badbusinessman ☺️

I've had hit or miss luck with GBDs. I got a bunch of them off Ebay in the early days extremely cheaply. I have a straight grain mandarin, top of the line, which smokes like a dog, and a few bottom of the line pipes that smoke very well. Frankly, Grabows smoke better, but GBDs look nice and usually have very comfortable stems.

18. Tudorp

Tudorp Member

According to that link database, mine shown up in 1976, which is kinda where I was thinking it was from. So, apparently I was close in guessing.

19. neoclassical

neoclassical Member

GBD and Comoys are one my list of English estate pipes to try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.