1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

German ceramic pots

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by WillH, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WillH

WillH Active Member

I have three German ceramic pipes! The two standing up are circa 1880's and the one laying down is a 1920's pipe. Was wondering if anyone else has these pipes and if so, have you smoked them?

I can't bring myself to smoke these pipe because I like them pristine. I know, I know they're pipes so smoke them - I can't do it! They are in absolutely perfect condition. I replaced the corks so they are completely as new. Just wondering, were they seriously smoked or are they more of a decorative pipe deal? I suspect the latter.

Will

2. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

What convoluted contraptions.

3. WillH

WillH Active Member

They are that! But, they are no more complicated than a Kirsten pipe and almost the same idea!

I tired this query awhile back, but still looking for an experienced user :idiot: or another collector to share information!

Will

4. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

I got a kick out of seeing Tom Swift and his Jetmarine on your library shelf :)

5. Mike Pomery

They do look rather clever; suited to pulling your pipe out of a worn leather satchel and puffing contentedly in the mountain breeze. I too am curious to know how they perform.

6. WillH

WillH Active Member

Those are from my younger days. That's Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain better know as Samual Clemens a noted pipester! The 'Jet Marine' is from the Tom Swift series by Graham Kaye! Great kid stuff. There was no TV then so we read and listened to the radio in the evenings. Even have my Granddads school books from 1904.

Even when I visited Germany (twice over the years) I never saw anyone smoking them? The two briar mountain pipes were common and saw several people those, but not the ceramic.

Will

7. BluesGuy

BluesGuy Member

Cool....Tom Swift.....Those were the first books my mother read to me as a small child It's what got me hooked on reading and were my love of Sience Fiction came from.

8. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

No experience of these, but they are beautiful.

I was once told that these were for taking apart while being transported, as they were fragile and that the cord was to keep all the parts together but I can't vouch for the truth of that.

Hope you find an informed fellow collector and thanks for sharing,

Best to all

Gerry

9. WillH

WillH Active Member

You're probably right Gerry! Know the mountain pipes are chained together for that reason. Don't want pieces of your pipe rolling down the hill side! Anyhoo, looks like my query is drawing a big goose egg this time around too....

Dondi, you are the first to notice the books. I posted this picture before with same query. In my family when someone passes on the other relatives get jewelery, money, old cars, houses - ya know good stuff. I get the books :dunno: Anyhoo, that's my grandparent's book case and it has some of my childhood books and rest are books passed along within the family. Some of the books are from the 1860's. Fun to see how things have, and have not, changed over the years. There's one book from 1902 advertising housing kits. You could order a complete house for $4,000 assembled. Many of the house plans don't show and inside bathroom!

Will

10. WillH

WillH Active Member

Closeup of one of the bowls.

Will

11. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Wow! A work of art for sure..........

12. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

Man im with you i could not bring myself to smoke those i mean i know they are pipes and they are made to smoke, but when pipes look that beautiful sometimes its worth just collecting them and enjoying them that way.

13. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

Hi Will,
    The white ones are German wine pipes. Wine was placed in the little ceramic bowl at the bottom. The idea is to draw smoke through the wine for taste and cooling. I have a similar one which is at my mothers place so I haven't got a photo. It's longer but without the wine bowl and has a lot of antler. These, the name i forget, I believe were used along with the wine pipes but mainly for presentation purposes.
    There was a really nice one on bay a while back but was out of my price range. From memory it was an army presentation pipe.
    I went through a stage recently where I wanted some of these and so spent some time looking.
    Cheers Rolf.

14. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

A German water pipe.......now we are getting somewhere! :xd:

15. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

No experience here, but those are some
    nice antiquities! The one with the antler
    extension is amazing. I'd never smoke
    those. You've got plenty of others to
    burn 'baccy in!

dp

16. WillH

WillH Active Member

Really? Who'da thunk it! That is interesting. I had no idea!

Thank you very much for the info!

Will

17. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

I've seen pictures and paintings with bushy beardy men smoking the smaller ones, but never those big ceramics. I think either Pipesandcigars.com or Marscigarsand pipes.com sells a few...might have a bit of info there. :dunno:

18. Mike Pomery

Wine pipes? I wonder if they treated the left over wine as a 'Bold, Smokey Shiraz' to be readily consumed?

19. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Wine pipes! What a lovely idea, to bring together two offerings from the soil into a single pleasure :bing:

Aside from Macion's query above, I'd wonder about two things (maybe Rolf has he answer)?
    - how often would you have to change the wine?
    - would different kinds of wine impact the flavor of the smoke?

20. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

Sorry Dondi,
    I cant find much info, found this though
    http://vegassmokes.com/pipes/old-world/traditional_old_world_pipes_4.htm
    Probably just needs some more googling

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.