Getting cake to build in a new pipe

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Damon, Aug 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damon

Damon Member

I have a bent stem Kaywoodie that I am having trouble Getting the cake to build up in the bottom of the bowl. I have been smoking 1/3 rd bowls but the hole from the stem is located about a 1/4 inch from the bottom of the bowl and doesn't allow me to smoke to the very bottom.

What can I do to get the cake to build up in the bottom?

2. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I doubt you'll form any cake on the bottom
    unless you raise the bottom of the chamber
    with some pipe mud. Almost level with the
    draft hole.

3. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

I just ''retired" a bent KW Saxon. It took some serious mudding to get the bottom of the bowl raised to a proper level. And it still gurgled and left a soggy mess of dottle (Half & Half tobacco). Then I noticed that when I ran a pipe cleaner into the bowl. the inside edge of the pc did not even come close to center line of the bowl. I suspect that half the bowl wasn't getting enough draft to burn fully. I have a straight Saxon that smokes like a $300 pipe, not the $30 pipe it is. I wonder if KW has lost their touch with bents?

4. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

Rub a little honey on the bottom of the bowl. Smoke a bowl to ash after the honey dries. Cover the top of the bowl with your thumb and shake the ashes in the bowl a little. Repeat a couple of times. It will build a bit of kake on the bottom.

Dutchking22 and BradNTX like this.
  5. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

That is the key I've found too. You have to smoke that sucker until everything is burned to have a chance with a draft hole like that.

6. DGErwin11

Can't smoke water, I've tried. Does not matter how small amount of tobacco I try, it still happens. I have enough good smoking pipes that I don't need to fool with this one.

BradNTX likes this.
  7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

True fact. Something to be said for carrying a flashlight when buying a pipe. A hole drilled 1/4" high is gonna be a problem.

8. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

I have never heard of that method for creating cake. You do learn something new everyday...

9. Damon

Damon Member

I'll Give it a go And see what happens thanks.

10. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

LOL, I didn't see that it was 1/4". That's a pretty huge mistake in drilling.

Dutchking22 likes this.
  11. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Just something to watch for in buying a pipe. The draft hole should always enter bottom center. As above, I always take a flashlight and a small magnifying glass to pipe shows. I would build it up with pipe mud. An afterthought. I have had a pipe or two that was drilled a tad high. You can try banking the coals, so to speak, toward the draft hole when you get near the bottom. This will definitely work over time, just takes a while.

12. jeff394

jeff394 Member

The first briar I bought was a bent Saxon, and I call it "The Gurgler". I also have issues with building cake in the bottom of the bowl, even though the rest is coming along just fine.

13. jhe888

jhe888 Member

I think you will have to build up the bottom with mud. Cigar ash and water are the usual components. When the bottom of the bowl is where the draft hole is, it should begin to smoke better and cake up on the bottom, but it will always be somewhat delicate. You'll have to be careful with pipe cleaners, tamping and reaming. That is a big gap.

14. DGErwin11

Don't let that scare you away from the Saxon line. I have a straight Saxon that smokes as good as my Nording & Savinelli.

15. Damon

Damon Member

I just bought a Savinelli today hopefully it's a much better pipe.

So pipe mud is Cigar ash and water????????

16. Mister Moo

17. Duke

Duke Member

I have two Vollmer & Nilsson pipes. Both are really fine smokers and quality made, but one, a simple straight apple, has been stubborn in developing a cake in the heal. If it smoked wet or soured easily I'd probably be disappointed, yet it is fine smoker. In fact, it is my favorite pipe. Like I said earlier, if it smoked poorly it would sit idle. My best smoking pipes are my most used, and therefore, the most often reamed. I ream the area that requires reaming and continue to enjoy one of my top 5 pipes. I no longer worry of fret.

18. Damon

Damon Member

Thanks for the link It was very informative. Right now I am trying banking the coals, toward the draft hole as Smoker99 mentioned. I think it may work, most of the tobacco is burning to ash now. How ever I may still have to build up the bottom, time will tell.

19. Mister Moo

Anecdotal: my favorite of all pipes is a small hundred year old WDC bent billiard. It appeared in original condition, unsmoked and was drilled high. The pipe refused to cake anywhere except just inside the rim (smoking only Escudo) and gurlged badly for at least 30-40 smokes. I finally knuckled under and mudded the heel and, thereafter, all was well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.