1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Getting pipes through the airport?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by LifeOfRiley, Apr 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

I'll be travelling by air next week (within the U.S.) and was considering taking a pipe and maybe a small bag of tobacco (or two). Has anyone had any problem with airport security? I bought a couple of oz. a few years ago when travelling on business and was concerned that they'd flag it thinking it was weed, but didn't have any problems, but I didn't have a pipe with me.

2. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Security should be able to differentiate between weed and wacky weed. Putting it in an elegant leather tobacco pouch rather than a baggy should help. A baggy full of suspicious stuff will send up flares. An alternative would be to take a sealed tin of baccy.

ol gto likes this.
  3. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I've dealt with passing through security with a briefcase full of pipes and baccy, and not much else. If you have a shirt with a pipe/pipe company printed on it, or better yet some kind of pipe-club insignia, it helps (point at it). Don't joke about weed, TSA agents are rarely intelligent or willing to engage in such witty repartee.

Consider a business custom card (from your printer)...

Piperatthegates likes this.
  4. JescoWhite

JescoWhite Member

If you have checked luggage just put it in there. I have never once had an issue taking toby or pipes on a plane and I do it frequently.

5. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

Pipes and tobacco in carry on hasn't been a problem. I usually have one in a pocket and when the coat goes through the scanner it'll sometimes give them pause. Remember, no czech pipe tool. Tampers seem to be ok.

6. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Czech tools are usually no problem, but have been pulled by an over zealous TSA agent. Put it in your baggage and carry a wooden tamper....something without a point.

7. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

I suppose I should avoid the tamper made of a spent bullet casing, though.

Albatross, Spillproof and Old Codger like this.
  8. Siv

Siv Flame+Wood=Bad Idea

A pipe and tobacco are not on the TSA wanted list. They are not liquids, gels or aerosols and they are not sharp. There is absolutely no reason they can give for not letting you take it through security.

AND, that's the same with marijuana, cocaine or whatever. The TSA's job is transportation security, not part-time DEA. I must say that this is my opinion though and many TSA are humourless, unqualified and improperly trained people with an incredible amount of power so the safest thing to do bend to their will.

buistd likes this.
  9. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

You can have fun with TSA. I always enjoyed traveling with a buddy of mine. When in the line up at the airport putting shoes and such in to the trays, he'd pull out his colostomy bag with it's metal clips and do a "here hold this". So we approach the scanner, he on his two crutches and me holding the bag tethered to him by the plastic hose, and I'd reach the bag towards the TSA "person". Funny, they never took it. And we never had any problems with pipes or tobacco, or anything else for that matter.
    He passed away last spring and I met many other friends of his at the wake. The stories went on a long, long time.

Edited to add that better than half the men there were pipe smokers. Never thought about it at the time but thinking back, being in a room with 50 or 60 other people all smoking pipes isn't that usual anymore.

10. 0cme

0cme Member

They tend to want to examine tobacco tins if they see them on the x-ray (as they just show up as mysterious metal cylinders) but apart from that I've never had any problems and they've always been friendly, even internationally. Just leave out the Czech tool.

11. CarlHerrnstein

CarlHerrnstein Member

I wouldnt mess with, I would mail it to myself.

12. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Never had a problem with pipes, pipe tools or pipe tobacco. Lighters and lighter refills are another matter altogether.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.