Ghost in the Cellar

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by GlassEye, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

There is quite a noticeable Lakeland scent emanating from my pipe tobac cellar (big cardboard box). I cannot find the source, the tins have no smell, the jars are tightly sealed, all suspects are innocent. Where the ghost is hiding, I do not know.

Has anyone else had this problem?

2. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Tape that box up and send it to me. I WILL remove that Lakeland ghost.

Alan Dye, Old Codger, N3M0 and 6 others like this.
  3. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

Was the box recycled from a soap factory?

Artistik and ruffinogold like this.
  4. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Evil tobacco gremlins that have conjured-up an m79 curse.

5. Capt

Capt Active Member

I'd rather have mold and tobacco beetles!!! lol

Rewster66 and RTOdhner like this.
  6. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

At least you can hold an intelligent conversation with the mold and beetles. Those evil anti-smoking tobacco gremlins can only huddle together and mutter to each other about how they can be even bigger nuisances to easy going and generally mannerly pipe smokers.

Po Lazarus and Capt like this.
  7. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

Your only recourse is to unseal all those jars and smoke it all. The only way to make sure you stopped the right culprit is to make sure there is none left. But you'll need help... and I'm volunteering.

8. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Glass, sometimes cardboard (to me at least) tends to start to smell a bit like soapy/mustiness. It could just be the box, try taking your tins/jars out and stick them in a cooler or something that seals and check back in a day to see if you can detect the smell from inside the cooler/container. If you can, then one of your jars/tins isn't sealed properly. If not, it was just the box ;)

Old Codger and Alan Dye like this.
  9. Alan Dye

Alan Dye Member

I had a latakia ghost last year. 90%+ of my cellar is in mason jars with rings. One of two things:

1. Some tobacco somewhere is fermenting and instead of "bulging" a can, it is offgassing through the ring as those bottles were designed to do.
    2. I have a tin somewhere with a leak. If that's true, I'll find a tin someday that is bone dry.

If it is case 2, I'll throw it out. Experience has taught me that tobacco that has gotten that dry has lost "something" and won't taste the same even after I steam it back to flexibility. I don't smoke enough to have to smoke bad tobacco. When whiskey is barreled, it loses 10-40% of its weight over the course of time through evaporation. They call this "the angel's share" and it is a cost of business, and it figures into the price of the whiskey. Older whisky=more evaporation, particularly with scotch which can age 20 years or more and lose up to 40% of its weight.

I figure the same in my cellar. I'd love to have 100% return on everything stored, but if I get back 95% I think I'll be fine.

One thing I do is to periodically go through the tins and try to pull the tops off with my fingers. If it separates, I move it to a jar. You really should have to pry with a coin or something to open tins. As for McClelland, Pease, and others that don't vacuum tin, I look for bulging. Bulging = airtight. non-bulged, may equal a problem. On those tins I leave the plastic lids in place when in storage as a hedge against that. Not foolproof, but should be somewhat helpful.

FWIW,

Alan

Whalehead King, Old Codger and N3M0 like this.
  10. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Good points Alan :)

Alan Dye likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.