1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Ghostbusted!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Tony Malerich, Dec 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

A very kind individual sent me a sample of Bosun Cut Plug earlier this year. I wasn't sure I would find the Lakelands agreeable, but it was worth a shot. Sadly, I didn't think to use "secondary" pipe and instead packed it in one of my favorite Pete's, a St Patricks 107 from this year. Suffice it to say, the tobacco and I did not come to an agreement (though I did hold out for the whole bowl). A few weeks later I packed in some straight VA and thought, "wow, this is weird... wait... Oh no!!!" It has been a slow process since then of occasionally suffering a tainted bowl to get that ghost out. Tonight I packed some Holger Dansk mild orange and FINALLY it's sufficiently reduced such as to not negatively affect my smoke. Yay, I have my pipe back!

psquared, TedVig and Spillproof like this.
  2. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I don't intend to hyjack the tread but I gotta ask, how was the Holger Dansk? I have a tin of it and I'll open it as soon as I smoke up what I already have open. In the meantime my curiousity is killing me.

3. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

I just opened a tin.great stuff. Kinda reminds me of those chocolate oranges crossed with coffee. Tasty.

4. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

Not a worry, the thread wasn't intended to be any exciting so hijack it to your hearts content. I lifted this description from P&C and I'd say it's pretty spot on. "A superior mild and cool tobacco made from Virginia tobaccos with a touch of Black Cavendish and orange bouquet." I've smoked a few bowls of this now and it has been mild, mellow, no bite with a nice bit of orange to it. Quite agreeable on the whole.

jdto likes this.
  5. Moonrover333

Moonrover333 Member

Glad ya liked the h&d

6. Splat

Splat Member

Tony, if you wanna try exorcising that ghost then do the salt and alcohol (S&A) treatment to the bowl. I accidentally smoked a strong aro in my Orientals-only pipe and it drove me nuts so I did the S&A thing and all was well. :puffy:

7. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

I am in the process of exercising the ghost of Firedance Flake from a pipe.

8. Splat

Splat Member

Never had it. If it's really strong you may have to do a double treatment. :csmile:

9. Moonrover333

Moonrover333 Member

Exercising? Like pilates? Or maybe crossfit?

Fbones24 likes this.
  10. Splat

Splat Member

:haha: Hey, whatever works! :)

11. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

Crossfit tomorrow morning at 6:00 AM actually. Then on to exorcising the Firedance ghost.

12. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

To be honest, exorcising this Firedance in my Stanwell is proving to be an exercise in persistence.

13. Splat

Splat Member

Are you just smoking the wanted tobacco in that pipe, or have you tried the S&A treatment to it?

14. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

I'm just letting it play out. I actually liked the flavor of Firedance and have been smoking Vas in this pipe. So when the berry and brandy ghosts pop up from time to time, I let them play. Eventually, they will get bored and go away.

Tony Malerich likes this.
  15. Splat

Splat Member

Sounds like that may be a pretty nice combo ya got there. Enjoy it.

16. Biggles

Biggles Active Member

Sorry...I thought this was another Bill Murray thread. :bangin:

Seriously though, I've had good results using OTC burleys to shift an especially resolute ghost in the past. I prefer 5 Brothers but PA does just as well.

On the other hand, I have several resident friendly ghosts who are always accorded a place of respect on my rack; Condor first among them.

Fbones24 likes this.
  17. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

I had the same problem. I gave my pipe a salt/ alcohol treatment and smoked ALOT of 5bros to clear it out.

18. cigrmaster

cigrmaster Member

I have a pipe that I had dedicated to Lakelands when I was checking them out and I have not touched it since. I keep looking at it with dread, knowing I will have to smoke the crap out of it to get the ghost out. I am actually thinking of sending it to have an ozone treatment done to it. Has anyone ever done one of those?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.