GL Pease Quiet Nights

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Glenn, Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Who has tried it? What do you think of it?

I just popped open a new tin of it. At first glance this is fine! Mr. Pease knows what he is doing.

I'll do a review after I smoke this tin. So far, I really like it.

2. CBR

CBR Member

I've got an unopened tin which came on my last order of tobacco, I'm going to give it a bit to settle though. Not because I think GL Pease wound have sent out a green blend but simply because I have too many opened tins of other blends!!!

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Looking forward to the review Glenn - impressions of tobaccos from real pipe smokers are the best and can help everybody out, even though we all have our individual tastes and preferences we can never have too much hard info.

Best to all

Gerry

4. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

I just ordered a tin myself, looking forward to exploring it's contents.

5. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

I too have a tin or 3 of this from a recent bout of TAD. I'd crack the tin but I need to get more mason jars. The reviews I've heard to date have been nothing short of stellar. :velho:

6. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Add me to the ranks of 'curious'...I probably need to get a 'Lat List' together for a fall/winter order, and this is one I'm thinking about.

7. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

It will be on my fall lineup for sure. I like it alot so far. If you like Penzance I think you will like Quiet Nights. They are not the same but have some of the same things going on. I'll post more after I burn enough to have a good opinion.

I like Chelsea Mornng but it isn't a must have for me. This one seems to suite my tastes much better.

8. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Mind me asking...more Lat, Perique...never had either, so my questions are academic at this point.

9. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Hi All,

I'm very curious. I love G.L.Pease.

Paul

10. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

More Latakia for sure but the perique is there.

11. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

I was very close to buying a few tins of this yesterday, but ended up buying a pound of baccy yesterday and decided to save my money for now.

But anyway so far every GLP blend I've tried has been wonderful and special in its own way. So I hope you like it!

12. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Burned through about an ounce this weekend. Meh, didn't move me yet. The same old Pease story, very well done, quality tobaccos, all that stuff, but just didn't have enough solid oomph in any one direction to make me love it. It's quite a testament to the abundance of great blends we have available that I can take a pass on something this well done.

I can see why some would go gaga on this stuff, but Westminster and Odyssey are still on the top of my Pease list.

13. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Westminster and Odyssey are still two of my very favorites. I don't think I'll be casting those off anytime soon.

I have smoked a few more bowls of Quiet Nights. Sometimes it is just excellent and a couple times it has kinda been just OK. Still working thru it. I do still like it alot.

14. jpberg

I've been smoking a bit more of this. The subtleness of it confounds me a bit, you really have to be in a zone to take it all in.
    By yourself, sitting down where the smoke can linger around you, this stuff can take you places. Very, very well named, and on the rare occasion when I have a quiet night, I'll be smoking this.

15. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Yeah, I can see that too.

16. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

My cold cleared up tonight, and I eagerly launched into some of this tobacco.

Perhaps too eagerly, as I did not let it dry out, and just sort of folded some broken flakes into the pipe. After battling though a dissapointing first half, I was treated a glimpse into the greatness this tobacco may provide if treated with a gentler touch.

17. Gary

Gary Member

Just popped a tin this morning. Rubbed a flake out completely and filled a Ben Wade freehand. Me like! It is bit reserved, but as jpberg alluded, it may be intentional. Despite this, it does have decent complexity and good flavor. i know I'll enjoy this, but I think it will be reserved or thos long, contemplative smokes rather than a quickie.

I've yet to meet a GLP blend I didn't like. Something like 5 for 5 now..

18. jpberg

Gary, when Pease puts a new latakia or va/per out, I automatically buy 5 tins. I open and smoke one immediately, and then smoke another at roughly 12 month intervals. I opened one last week and I'll tell you, this stuff is turning into a monster blend. It's really opening up, taste wise. Much, much different from even last year's tin.
    I'll be in for a couple of pounds of this sometime this year.

On a related note, in July I'll open my second tin of Lagonda. I thought it was a masterpiece right out of the fresh tin, I can't wait to try year #1.

19. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

QN is one of my favorite Pease blends. I loved this one right out of the gate. It's relaxed nature is perfect - not a lat bomb, and with a lot going on. I bought several 8 oz tins after my initial sampling and I'm about to crack one of them, as it's at about the one year anniversary. Excellent blend, and perfectly named, as jpberg said earlier. Very contemplative blend that doesn't slap you about the head with nicotine just before bedtime.

Like Pipeworks & Wilke #400 before it, this one out-Nightcaps Nightcap for me.

SouthBound and Stonewall like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.