Global tobacco blends

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Whalehead King, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

I know we've got a few members headquartered in Asia. I don't recall any from South America or Africa. Pipe smoking is a global occupation. I've been in Tibetan stores where they sell little metal tobacco pipes, but the pipe world on the internet seems very Euro- and American-centric. Are there any good Chinese or Indian or Brazilian or African brands of tobacco on the market? I know Africa is a continent that contains many very different countries and I apologize for my shorthand. I suppose I should describe South America the same way especially since Brazilians don't speak Spanish.

We discuss Danish and English blends, American OTCs, but what about other regional tobacco blends? Does anyone have any experience with this on other continents beside Europe and North Amreica (sorry, Mexico!)? I am very curious because I expect the tastes will be somewhat different but I have no idea how. I'd be interested to try them and learn what's available and how to get them.

Pipe designs and makers are another matter. I'd like to keep this thread specific to tobacco blends and brands outside the "first world" countries. I mean no offense by using this commonly accepted term for countries that are emerging economies outside the western sphere. My only intent is to include the global trade in tobacco of which many of us may be unaware. Every region and country has its own tobacco and pipe smoking traditions that those of us in our overwhelming European/American tobacco box need to learn more.

Cranks can complain about my politically correct, diplomatic phrasing above but I would rather admit that I don't know the rules of this game to bypass offending anyone when I have a chance to learn about something that is very exotic to me. I have a lot to learn about how things are done outside of my tidy corner of the globe.

Open mind, open pipe.

With thanks,
    WK

2. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

I have a good friend from Brazil. He likes the European stuff.

3. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Great! Let's talk about them.....uh!?!...what are they?

4. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

Exactly!

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Well , I had some tobacco from Malta and it was the worst crap in the world . Malta isnt 3rd world but it's the only stuff I've had other than Arabic stuff in a hooka [ that was killer ]. Everything else was ' western ' made . The arabic stuff you put a coal on the tobacco and smoked in a hooka ...I had strawberry and it tasted like strawberries . I was impressed , however the whole hooka thing is to much .... Give me a briar or cob and I'm good to go !

6. gyrostatic

gyrostatic Member

My experience in Southwest Asia was very hookah-centric. I did hear of a few small shops that sold meerschaum pipes (I assume they were meerschaum. A friend of mine who knows nothing about pipes described them to me as "made out of white stuff. Like ivory or something!) but the hookah seems to dominate the culture. Personally, it's not for me. When I light tobacco, I want to taste tobacco... Then again, I don't care for aros either, so to each his own!

7. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

8. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

South Africa has some nice blends like Fox and Boxer and others. They tend to be VA's with a more raw taste, I like some of them like Fox. I also have some from Brazil, can't remember the name and I am away from home but not bad. They tend to be more in the aromatics.

9. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

from Indonesia, the notorious "tambolaka" which I haven't tried as their payment system seems to be off the hook...

10. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Samuel Gawith, Freybourg & Treyer, and Gawith Hoggarth use tobacco from Zimbabwe, Malawi, and Brazil in their products. I've had nasal snuff from South Africa that was pretty good (Taxi, NTSU), and SA's Leonard Dingler has a handful of pipe tobaccos. Brazil has Tobbac and Teles, but I've never had either.

11. Sweatsack

Sweatsack Member

I did some research on Cuban pipe tobacco. From what I can gather, there are several brands which are essentially crumble cakes made from leftover cigar leaf. Some better than others. I've never tried any, but I'd be interested in smoking the embargo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.