1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

GLP Triple Play

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by user2453, May 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user2453

user2453 Member

Dec 4, 2011
    I'll admit that I don't always give new tobaccos a fair shot before I decide if I really like them. I have however been working my way through an entire tin of Triple Play plug, vowing to find its sweet spot.

I'm smoking it now in a no name briar pipe. I just am not having the fondest of smokes with it lately. When I first opened it up I was pleasantly surprised with it. I am slicing some off the now deformed plug, rubbing out then gravity filling a couple times. This time I let the bowl dry for an hour in the pipe and upon lighting was greeted with some major bite. I had to false light 4 times and then the bowl would only produce whispy amounts of smoke. I put the pipe down to return to it later and in the meantime am drying some Kickin chicken. I find the cakes easy to smoke and prepare.

I guess what in asking is, how do you like to prepare and smoke it. I have a tough time with plugs. I usually end up with pieces of tobacco upon slicing instead of nice flakes.

I have had a few great smokes with triple play, but they are hard to come by. Anyone who really likes this blend have any ideas?
  2. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Would it work better to just cut the whole plug down in one sitting? And maybe try cutting across the plug from different directions to see which works best for you?

I've never had it, but I do have an unopened tin in the cellar, so I'll be curious to see what other suggestions you get.
  3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Vaperburlataro ! Mayor

Sep 25, 2009
    I've never had that blend . Plugs can be a tuff smoke . But here's the rub . If it's a pain in the a** by the time you finish off the tin ... go treat yourself to a ribbon cut easy to deal with blend . There's plenty of great blends out there . Sometimes it's worth it . Sometimes it's not
  4. krusty

krusty Active Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Triple Play didn't work for me at all when I first popped the tin.
    Jarred and set back for about 11 months it tastes a treat now.
    Thin sliced, lightly rubbed and gravity fill in a cob have worked best for me.
    DeusExMachina likes this.
  5. gahdzila

gahdzila Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Haven't tried Triple Play yet, but I'm a big fan of Jackknife, and I enjoyed 3Ps as well. Yeah, they are a bit of a pain to prep. I had no luck trying to thin slice long flakes. Here's what's working for me: when I first open a tin, I cut the plug into more manageable chunks with a knife. Then, when I'm ready to smoke, I use a cigar cutter to shave thin slices off over a plate. A little drying time, and it's ready to smoke.
    LifeOfRiley likes this.
  6. DeusExMachina

DeusExMachina Member

May 25, 2012
    I'm with Krusty here. Age that sucker as long as you can wait, you'll be greeted not only with the standard dark earthiness, but also with notes of sweet figs, and deep cocoa.

I slice mine out each time, crumble, then gravity pack.
    krusty likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.