Going to smokingpipes.com

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by rlucas, Oct 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rlucas

rlucas Active Member

Going to Myrtle beach in 2 weeks for wedding. Wife said we can stop in at smokingpipes and I can get another pipe or 2. Or I can get 1 pipe and tobacco. Problem is, do I get the Savinalli Alligator or a Peterson. Since I've heard so many good things about Escudo was thinking a tin of that.
    The pipe I have to hold and touch. I like a pipe that is lightweight and with a smaller bowl.
    I know get what I like. Just wanted everyone elses opinion on the matter.

2. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

If you want a smaller pipe, try a Peterson 03. I like mine a lot, and it's both lightweight, compact, and easy in the hand. Being bent, it also happens to be a good clencher. They do take a while to break in, though, in my experience at least. So if you want a pipe you can really enjoy on your vacation, it might not be the best choice. If it's anything like mine, it will smoke wet and gurgly for a while before it starts smoking like a champ.

Savinelli generally makes some larger pipes, but you can find some good smaller pipes from them, too. The prince shapes they make might be a good bet :puffy:

For a similar price point as Savinelli and Peterson, you could get a nice Stanwell, though. They're good pipes, and tend to be smaller.

Jayson H Bucy and Jussto like this.
  3. rlucas

rlucas Active Member

Looked at Stanwell and none caught my eye. Didn't like the looks of them.

4. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

5. rlucas

rlucas Active Member

Saw that one and I don't like the way it looks. Kinda funny about that.

nesta likes this.
  6. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

I've found Savinellis break in faster than Peterson's, too. I like them both very much. Go for the one you think you'll be happier you bought later.

7. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

No accounting for personal tastes. I for one really dislike the Savinelli alligator series, but they sure seem to sell a good number of them, so obviously there are plenty of people out there who like them!

Stonewall likes this.
  8. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

I know whenever I'm on their website I check their IMP selection. That would be the first thing I would check out.

Old Codger and Jussto like this.
  9. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

I'd be inclined to go into the shop with no preconceived notions. Once you're there you can feel, hold and sense the pipes. One (or two) will speak to you and then you can tell us what kind you decided upon. :bing:

10. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

If you can buy two medium priced pipes, just buy one expensive one. I personally think a good $200 pipe is worth more than two $100 pipes, but that's just me. I don't buy many pipes, but when I buy one, it's worth it to me to wait a little longer, save up a bit more, and buy one I'll be proud to own for the rest of my life.

Also, a good pipe is a good investment. If you're ever in a tight spot for money, you can sell off a pipe for a nice chunk of change, depending on what it is.

I don't know, that's just my perspective on the thing.

Edit to add: Since you're going to SP's B&M store, you are going to be looking at an incredible selection of pipes, a selection that you don't often get to see in person. I think that is even more reason to really buy yourself something nice. Also, it will be a nice keepsake/souvenir that you will always have, by which you can remember that trip.

Stonewall, Skrymr, Buckshot and 3 others like this.
  11. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

Was there last year and found myself overwhelmed with the options. If you have the time bring bring a pipe and smoke a few bowls while looking through the cases and shelves. make an afternoon of it. I only had a spare hour and it was just enough time to skim the collection.

12. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I wouldn't go in with a preconceived idea about what I might like either. There is no telling what might catch your eye, and if the design, drilling, and price suit you, I wouldn't worry about the name on the shank. You may find your new favorite manufacturer is no one you have ever heard of!

13. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Since you're going into the store, why not take a look at their estate pipes!

14. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Yes, yes, enabling! Make him spend his money!

[​IMG]

15. rlucas

rlucas Active Member

Going to look at all the pipes I can. Like the Savinelli Alligator pipe pictures online, but a picture does not accurately depict the pipe when you have it in your hand. So with that being said, I am going to hold and touch and feel all that I can. Have 2 tobaccos that I want: McClellands Dark Star that I got from cigarsarge on FNG/FOG(Thanks again sarge) and Escudo cuz I've heard very good things about it and want to try it. As far as pipes I will make the final decision when I get there and try to share pics when I get back.
    Thanks to everyone who has shared their opinions and looking forward to more input.

Jussto likes this.
  16. rlucas

rlucas Active Member

Had planned on taking my Dr G royal duke with me. Do they have house blends that you can sample while shopping?

17. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

They have a beautiful Peterson SH Gregson p-lip, which would be my choice. It's a bent brandy. I have one like it. Great smoke. I would rather have that for $250. than 2-3 cheap pipes.

18. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

I've never been to smokingpipes, but I've also never visited a smoke shop that did not have samples and all have welcomed the trying of their tobacco(s).

19. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

Go for the Dunhill, go for the Dunhill! Just kidding. I would love to have one of their Christmas series of pipes but they are so expensive I don't think I could make myself smoke one. I would say the Pete, but I'm partial. I have a Sav as well that smokes well, but near as well as the Pete's I have.

20. rlucas

rlucas Active Member

I have decided I'm going with my pipe and an open mind. Have looked at all the pipes online and liked the looks of several that were within my budget. Hoping one of them screams at me to take them home. Would LOVE to have the Dunhill Christmas series but it costs more than my mortgage.

Coastal Bend likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.