Going toby shopping sometime this week..

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Twan013, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twan013

Twan013 Member

So, I'm about to come across a few dollars for tobacco money. My only option really is a local shop that sells pouch tobacco, and a few house blends. I know they have captain black, but I'm not sure about carter hall, sir walter raleigh, or prince albert (the three biggest recomendations on here). I'm seriously thinking about closing my eyes and reaching out for 3 random pouches. I may try one of their house blends as well. But their containers are those plastic jugs with a snap on lid (not airtight), so I dont know if its fresh or not.

I might go for a different flavor aromatic (my current is apple, whicb tastes nothing like apple), an english (do they make english blends in pouches?) and a random house blend.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

"Fresh" is overrated. If the tobacco in the canisters is nice and dry, you get a lot more per ounce!

I'd get as many 1 oz samples as I could, just get a few pipefuls of all the different stuff he's got in bulk, and see what you like. Remember - if it smells bad, it will taste good, and if it smells really really good, it probably smokes like crap!

:thumbsu:

3. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

And for Gods sake, make things easy for yourself and keep a log of the samples you've tried and your thoughts on them. Saves you lots of confusion down the road.

4. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

There is nothing wrong with house blends in the big jars i have a local tobacconist i go to all the time and i get 3 to 4 ozs. of tobacco of a few different kinds and tey have allways been a very enjoyable smoke. I would say give them a try you might find a dimond in the rough like i did, and i think it is a cheaper and better by than by the pouch.

5. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Consider what tobaccos you like, and what they have in the jars that compare. The toby in the jars just may be someone like McClelland, or C&D, or GH&Co.... it's sure nice knowing that your money is spent on something you know you'd like vs. a mystery in a pouch. If pouch is all that's available, then that settles it but I'm hoping you have more choices than just OTC's. You can get that at RiteAid/Walgreens/CVS. Happy Huntin'/Shoppin'!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!

6. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

>>>>

7. Twan013

Twan013 Member

Definitely one of my plans! a daily smoke for a week (or two), noting the "progression" if flavors and just random thoughts while smoking it.

And for whitebriar, there aren't even any tin/cans of tobacco around here, 1.5 oz pouches, sandwich bags, or the 12 oz freezer bags of "walgreens pride" My closest GOOD tobacco store is an hour drive, and I'm not about to make a special trip just for the tobacco shop (I'm not that addicted YET)

8. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

i found the SWR, PA CH tins at an HEB grocer--no pouches except capt. black--what i am smoking now is the walgreen/cvs stuff--it's not the best, but does a lot better with considerable drying--and it's better than nothing--

walgreen markets a tobacco by blender's gold--it is called mellow blend--it's a burley/cavendish ribbon cut--it wasn't too bad right out of the seal tight bag, but i'm sure some airing and drying can't hurt--

cvs markets admirals choice, and their black and gold cavendish is the best of their lot for me so far--but this one demands drying--in fact i left it open for three days before i attempted it--

i'm continuing the search for the codger blends in pouches, but i'm running out of places to look--

9. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Over at 4 noggins.com you can order samples of all the well-known OTCs, including Sugar Barrel and Walnut.

10. Boomer-Z

Boomer-Z Member

Hello,

before you buy anything you could go to www.tobaccoreviews.com and read up on anything you are interested in. I always see if there is a review or two there before I buy a specific new tobacco. I agree with Sas in regards to picking up a few one oz. samples. Maybe take you pipe with you and see if they will let you have "bowl on the house" while you pick which one you want. I went to a place in Nashville that let me do that. It was awesome.

Z

11. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

thanks for the tip--i was hoping to find it locally, but things are really looking dim--

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.