golden age of pipe tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by David Emond, Aug 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Evening everyone,

Pipes smokers are becoming a rare thing but on the other hand we have dozens of blenders that have hundreds of blends maybe thousands from all types of tastes. To me it seems that we are in the best time for quality and choice.
    Did we have more blends back in the 60s and 70's?

2. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

One thing that affects that perception is availability. Most of the general public would have never even heard of the premium blenders that were operating then like Dunhill, MacBaren, and Samuel Gawith. And if they had, it probably would've been hard to buy any unless they lived in a big city (and cities were generally on the decline 40-50 years ago). Today, it's just easier to track down, learn about, and acquire good product due to the magic of the interwebs. Which makes it more attractive to start and run a premium blending company. So, yeah, it is a kind of golden age.

With respect to OTC's, what I've heard from the B&M guys is that the quality of most of the big name brands has definitely declined over the past 30 years or so. But there were also a lot of garbage blends because casual pipe smoking was so much more popular then than it is now. This is what happened in the cigar market during the 1990's boom.

So, it's probably better to be an enthusiast, but not a casual, cost-conscious smoker (shielding my head from the brickbats of the CH, SWR and PA enthusiasts).

SmokeyJoe and David Emond like this.
  3. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

You bring a good point about the internet. I guess back then you had to relly on pipe mags to let people know about blends.

4. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

When I was a kid growing up cigarette and pipe ads were on billboards, in print media and on the radio and B&W television.

Artistik and David Emond like this.
  5. phinz

phinz Active Member

[​IMG]

6. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I was just wondering earlier why you see all kinds of old cigarette ads on youtube, but no pipe tobacco ones. Also, great avatar ;)...

phinz likes this.
  7. phinz

phinz Active Member

Morse likes this.
  8. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Well, you never see any GOOD tobaccos in a commercial...:D

Dondi likes this.
  9. phinz

phinz Active Member

10. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Don't say that till you've tried the Condor!

Morse and Stonewall like this.
  11. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Here, here! I've only a few flakes left, but I think I'll have a small bowl of this to start my day tomorrow.

12. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

This is definitely the Golden Age. Tax increases and restrictions on online sales are coming, it's not a question of if but when.

13. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

This is the Golden Age of all men being able to access all tobacco. It is also the golden age of blends, so many stunningly good blends, just a mouse click away.
    Sadly, this Golden Era takes place in the Dark Ages of pipe smoking acceptance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.