1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Golden Extra v. Burley London Blend

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Kiowapipe, Jun 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I'm thinking about trying one or both of these. Could anyone who's tried them give me a compare/contrast or brief review?

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Danish Burley. Let's see here.... Burley London Blend is tasty - it's got that nutty flatness that good burleys do, and it's sweet and rich enough to be interesting. The room note is sweet, a little stale an hour later (smells a bit like piss to me, to tell the truth).

I think Golden Extra is sweeter, but Ruffino or Woody will be able to tell us.

At any rate these are not as punchy as the C+D Burley flakes or something like Old Joe Krantz - they are treated much like other Mac Barens - sweet and easy to get along with rather than punchy and strong.

3. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

What? You been hittin the sauce? Talking about a Burley that you like? I'm really confused, but it is 1 AM here and I have had a lot to eat and drink... :confused:

The way you hear Ruffino talk, Golden Extra is all that and a bag of chips. I ordered a tin a month ago and am waiting until my current, open Burley tin is empty before going for it. I trust it good enough that I've ordered a 1/2 lb of it this week. A pound of Golden Extra is actually cheaper than a 14 oz tub of Carter Hall now... WT?

The description Sas gave of BLB makes me want to try it, but I'm not sure if I'm really asleep, dreaming I'm on PSF or if he really paid a complement to a Burley tobacco. I'll check back during the day after I've pinched myself.

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

MB GE is my go to favorite for sure . Both are perfect right outta the tin or bag . In a nut shell , BLB is shooting for the nutty/choc flavor of burley while GE is shooting for the nutty/toasty flavor of burley . The reason GE is killer imo is cause the nutty/choc direction is what many burley blends shoot for , which is great , but GE does this toasty thing that stands out to me . Here's a goofy analogy ... GE is the better SWR and BLB is the better PA :doh: . They are both fantastic blends that develop through the bowl and get richer w/ out funk . Neither blend is wildly complex , which is why they'll make a great go to . Honestly , I'd try both cause they're both worth it ... and a bag of chips .. w/ pepperoni

RTOdhner likes this.
  5. woody

woody Aloha! Admin

Try both of them because if you are OK with Mac Baren blends, you can't go wrong with either one.

6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Gee thanks guys, another tobacco to add on the TAD list... :poke:

7. beammeuptothesky

beammeuptothesky Member

+1!! I spotted some GE in bulk at my B&M the other day and think I will have to spring for some next time. You guys are always there to give me a little nudge when I'm on the fence....:eek:

8. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Thanks Ruff, you've put in terms I can understand. They both sound like what I'm looking for right now, which is not a heavy arse-kicker like a C&D flake but rather a mild nice alternative to the OTC burleys. Guess there's nothing for it but to give them both a shot now... dang! ;)

9. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Finally got around to trying some of this stuff :)
    Been puffing on GE today. Smooth, little or no MacBite, and mild but decent N-level. A Danish take on classic American style OTCs- nice straight up burley, looks like good leaf, and a little MacB spice/flavor. I can definitely see the comparison of this being a slightly gussied up SWR. So far I'm liking it. Can't say whether I really prefer it over either PA or SWR, but it's a nice smoke. The B&M has some BLB too- think I might have to pick some up to finish the comparo.

10. woody

woody Aloha! Admin

Another one to try is Symphony. I've been smoking it latly along with BLB, but i really can't comment because my taste bubs are messed up still and nothing I say would be relevant other than it is another good MB to try.

11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Atta boy Kiowapipe !

12. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Both are great. I prefer BLB.

13. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

What Ruff said!

14. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Got some BLB too. After a bowl and a half, I think I prefer GE. I'm going to have to give BLB a few more smokes in different pipes, though. BLB seems to have gotten a heavier dose of the Danish sauce and actually threatened to MacBite. Still tastes good, maybe just not as well behaved. It also seemed to improve further down the bowl, which is really weird for a Burley. Jury is still out, I guess.

15. Trippwire

Trippwire Member

I finished a tin of BLB a few days ago, and just getting started on GE. The GE is a bit sweeter, and not sure if it's just this tin, but the cut is much more chunky than BLB. Both are good, but I prefer BLB, it just tastes a bit more solid, slightly bitter and overall more satisfying. Nic levels seem very similar.

Try em both, they're cheap enough.

16. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I like BLB. It's a solid Burely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.