Good Morning Blends

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by jhguthlac, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhguthlac

jhguthlac Active Member

When I picked up the pipe again last Spring, I started with EMP for my morning smoke. Given the lousy mix I got last time when I bought it in bulk, I'm looking for another morning smoke. I see many folks just smoke their regular tobbacy, like CH or SWR. Smokes like that just don't work for me at 4am.

What works for others here?

2. Bear84

Bear84 Member

I loaded up a bowl of Squadron Leader yesterday morning and frankly it's pretty dang good. It's got a good bit of flavor to it without being overpowering at all.

Mount Mandolin and Jfro like this.
  3. Snookman

Snookman Member

Have you tried P&C's Daybreak?

4. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

If you're looking for an early morning smoke with some strength, which I am assuming you are, there's tons of them, although EMP is a good one. Here's a partial list off the top of my beanie cap: Black House, Virginia Spice, Escudo, Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls, St. James Flake, Three Nuns (even the recent tinned version is a nice "begin your day" smoke), Squadron Leader, Magnum Opus, Louisiana Red, Commonwealth, 1792, Frog Morton, Balkan Sobranie, Haunted Bookshop, Old Joe Krantz, etc., etc. It just depends on the kind of blends you prefer. Hope this list gives you some ideas. Oh, add FVF to the list. It's great with tea or coffee!

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Altadis Chocolate Truffle .... be daring :eek:

6. DocB

DocB Active Member

McClelland's AM Pipe, Chelsea Morning by GLP...

Brit abroad likes this.
  7. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

For me it depends on what I'm doing during that first smoke. If I'm outside with black coffee then 4noggins Essence of Vermont in a MM Legend seems to have become habitual. That's before breakfast and sunrise.
    This morning it was Weybridge in a Peterson 80S since outside was not going to happen, whiteout and high winds.

Stonewall and JimInks like this.
  8. muddler

muddler Active Member

I used to enjoy EMP first up as well. These days it's Chelsea Morning or good old FVF.

Brit abroad and JimInks like this.
  9. WalkinStick

WalkinStick Active Member

For me, it's usually Old Dublin or Irish Oak in an MM cob. Cup of Lucky Irish Breakfast from Republic of Tea on the side.

Old Codger likes this.
  10. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Steven Books' "First Pipe of the Day" is the consummate morning smoke for me.

11. Biggles

Biggles Active Member

I like a bit of perique first smoke of the day. Bayou Morning's a good 'un. :th1:

WalkinStick and SouthBound like this.
  12. Brit abroad

Brit abroad Active Member

GLP Chelsea morning is a favourite of mine as FVF, but recently I have been smoking GLP Laurel heights in the morning its a nice virginia with a grapefruit citrus note that is a really nice with coffee first thing, I have also found tha Germains Special Latakia Flake is superp in the morning, if of course you like lat in the morning, hope that has helped, enjoy!

13. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

A bit of Perique? That's like 25%. It's one of my favorite morning smokes, too.

14. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

If you're looking for something with Orientals and a touch of Latakia, such as Early Morning Pipe, then I would say Squadron Leader is a great pick, although it can be somewhat difficult to find in bulk and still costs something like $5.50/oz. Still, it's great stuff.

If you're looking for the best thing a human being could possibly set fire to in the morning, I would say that Mr. Kerr's recommendation of Steven Book's First Pipe is dead on. Here's a link. http://houseofcalabash.com/tobaccos And scroll down to find it under Reserve Blends. Talk about expensive, though. That stuff is $11/oz! Still, in my opinion, it's actually worth it. Seriously, it is.

JimInks likes this.
  15. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Epiphany works well for me as an eye opener blend. I really need to try some Squadron Leader. I don't know why I haven't yet really. I think it was because I read somewhere that Skiff trumps it. But I'm thinking it may be two completely different tobaccos.

16. fogpipe

fogpipe Member

i like a burley blend with some strength in the am. Usually pegasus ojk or epiphany. Burley seems to go well with coffee or tea.

17. buistd

buistd Sales Account

I like something a little robust in the morning. C&D Sha'are Orah is a good 'un. Also a bit of Kendal Dark (ribbon, not flake) seems to do it for me. I'm smoking some Bayou Morning now and it is very pleasing. It's actually my third smoke of the day, but it is still the morning here so I guess that counts!

18. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

Anything with a good bit of robust VA in it. Latakia is nice too. Newminster SNF, McC 5120, Frog Morton and any mild English blend, i.e. EMP, AMP, Blend No. 5, English Luxus...

19. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I enjoy a sweet Virginia flake like McClelland #22 or #27 in the mornings.

20. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I am such a rebel; I like to smoke Dunhill Nightcap in the morning sometimes. I like it. ;)

fogpipe, Johnny Dingo and WalkinStick like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.