Good new tobacco to try?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Capt Ahab, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capt Ahab

Capt Ahab Member

Hi to all. Ive been smoking a pipe for about a year now and the tobaccos that i have really taken a liking to have all been aromatics, however i have not had much of the privelage of trying much more than aromatics. Ive been smoking the Peterson aromatic blends, i have de luxe mixture and gold blend and i really like them. However i was wondering if there were any blend suggestions, or tobacco brands anyone had in mind that are a little bit more sophisticated and that could take my pipe smoking experience to the next level?

2. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Try a Red Virginia like 5100 or Hal O' the Wynd, A Vaper (Virginia Perique) like Stokkebye Luxury Navy or Bullseye Flake. Try a few Burly blends Like Peterson University Flake or Stokkebye Cube Cut. Then there are English and Balkan's. What kind of tobacco's do you like or dislike?That will help us in making a recommendation.

Rewster66 and Mark w4mms like this.
  3. user1975

user1975 Active Member

+1!

4. Capt Ahab

Capt Ahab Member

three of my all time favorites are petersons gold blend, dunhill night cap, and Samuel Gawith Celtic Talisman

5. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I'd be inclined to bridge the gap with things like Peterson's University Flake, and Peter Stokkeby's Luxury Twist Flake. I wouldn't necessarily call either of these aromatics, but they do have a bit of a sweet casing to them, and are delicious IMHO:th1:

6. Capt Ahab

Capt Ahab Member

Excellent :punk:thank you all im going to put them on my list to check out when i go to my tobacconist this week. If im lucky enough for any of them to be in stock and not have to get it ordered ill let yall know what i think :byg:

7. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Petersons--Old Dublin.

8. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Welcome aboard, Cap'n! I'm glad to see that you've already discovered the joys of at least one of Sam Gawith's fine blends. I can recommend another that might bridge the gap between sweeter aromatics and other tobaccos: Navy Flake. It's a good dark Virginia flake with just a touch of Latakia, all cased in rum. Strong and full enough to satisfy without overwhelming, and sweet enough to make a convert out of an aromatic smoker. I highly recommend it.

9. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Oh, I'm Herb by the way, but you can call me Ishmael. :D

Jesla likes this.
  10. Capt Ahab

Capt Ahab Member

Cheers to a great book Herb :) Pleasure to make your acquaintence . Thanks for the advice all . Now ill have a list goodies to check out when i get to the tobacconist :th1:

HCraven likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.