Good Oriental Flakes?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Grim_Puffer, Dec 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grim_Puffer

Grim_Puffer Member

Ive really been smoking nothing but oriental blends lately since my experience with 3 Oaks Syrian and the Classic Samsun I have. I was wonder though are there any really good Oriental Flakes out there worth purchasing?

I am gearing towards Balkan Flake by SG but wonder if its just not another heavy lat blend with a small fixing of orientals similar to say GLP Meridian which claims to have oriental but all i can taste is the cyprian latakia ( this is a good blend as I do enjoy latakia but I get no sweetness from oriental in this one ).

Thanks and good day to you all.

2. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Balkan Flake is a total Lat bomb. I couldn't taste any orientals and even the VA component was quite muted. If you're interested in another oriental blend that isn't a flake try GLP Cairo. I've been smoking a lot of it lately and its really tasty, smells wonderful too.

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Any of the McClelland Grand Orientals line...or Red Raparee by Rattray. Squadron Leader is another possible.

4. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Butera Pelican.

5. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I've been wanting to try that, but Pelican has been out of stock everywhere for months. I can't remember when the last time I saw Kingfisher in stock was, but it must be getting close to a year. I wonder what the deal is? Anyone have the 411?

6. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I'll second Red Rapparee. Delish.

dp

7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Non-flake: Presbyterian (and.... um,,, every other tobacco mentioned in this thread)

Flake: Cooper

8. yinyang

If your amicable towards Perique...McClelland's Tudor Castle. It's a broken flake with a very mild Perique element. I.e. barely there. The Yenidje is more noticeable. (If you snork it, it's divine even.) Just don't freight train it.

9. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I too went in search for a oriental forward flake. I finally emailed Russ O. at Pipes and Cigars with my inquiry. Russ(Master Blender), suggested their "Ten To Midnight".

I ordered 2 oz. to try. Ten to Midnight has a pleasant oriental room note. It smelled like incense to me. I like that. It smoked o.k. but I used a lot more pipe cleaners for this flake than everything else I smoke.

Pipes and Cigars has this flake in bulk under their "Hearth and Home" tobaccos. Since it's in bulk you can order as little as 2 oz. Check out "Tobacco Reviews" to get a feel for what other pipe smokers think about it. I'd smoke it but I'm not good with flakes.

Be well
    Ol Brokedik.

10. Grim_Puffer

Grim_Puffer Member

Thanks for the advice but seems some in here are not flakes..lol. I love the grand orientals line and will be getting more of those but I do enjoy a good flake tobacco from time to time.

Getting ready to order more toby is why I asked ill look into some of those flakes and check em out and will throw in a tin of one or 2 mentioned above before school starts back on the 5th.

11. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

I can't think of a single oriental flake I ever smoked. Weird.

12. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

GLP Embarcadero is an oriental flake... broken up then tinned.

I've tried it...but didn't fancy it. Traded the rest of my tin with some forum members.

13. Mister Moo

Advanced search at tobaccoreviews.com using "oriental" for the tobacco and "flake" for the cut turns up two dozen blends including three tobaccos I smoke often - 1792, Sam's Flake and Penzance. Penzance has a stellar oriental componant but it's crumble cake, not flake, to me. Call that hairsplitting? OK - Penzance is an oriental flake. Can't say 1792 or Sam's Flake are predominated by orientals. That leaves 21 more blends to research.

You might try that search, G'uffer, and see what sounds good to you.

14. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Me too. Maybe it'e just semantics, but I don't put "oriental" and "flake together too much. Maybe C&D Star of the East Flake, other than that, I got nuthin.

GP, why are you hung up on flakes? Or, to ask the question another way, what is your definition of an Oriental, or a flake? There's lots of good stuff to steer you towards once we know what works for you, and what doesn't.

15. Brian

Brian Member

Penzance seems very latakia-heavy to me. It's good, and looks like a flake in the tin. I agree that it is pretty crumbly though. A crumble cake flake?

The ladies tell me it smells like "ass" when I smoke it. Literally, that was their description of the room note.

"Tasty, but smells like ass."

I wonder if they'd consider printing that on the tin? :roflmao:

16. Mister Moo

I feel your pain. It hurts me so very deeply each time Mrs. Moo knocks the Penzance aroma yet, still - somehow - I find the strength to gather myself, tamp, relight and go on... Heh heh heh.

17. PipesnBikes

PipesnBikes Member

You have heard all good advise. My 2cents worth is that if you Like 3Oaks and Samsun then you will really like Samovar. Not a flake, sometimes I like it better than 3Oaks. Scottish Woods is a winner as well. Wilderness has become many pipe smokers Desert Island tobacco after only one bowl. I like Wilderness very much but Samovar and 3Oaks are at least as good or better to my taste buds.

We are lucky to have such great choices. Have fun trying them all.

18. Grim_Puffer

Grim_Puffer Member

Not hung up on flakes just wanted one around to try lol.

I too didnt ever put together flake and orientals ....lol , just wanted to try one if one existed.

No biggy thoguh just curious what choices I would get and I do not think of 1792 as such AT ALL... lol that one is in its own category.

But thanks everyone, there are tons of ribbon cut orientals which are stellar and I will get along with some VaPers seeing as Spring will be here before ya know it and i find a good VaPer is very pleasant on warmer days and especially hot summer days.

Now to get a few pipes ready for the transition.... which to choose...hmmmm

19. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I don't know what ass smells like.
    OBD.

20. yinyang

No doubt the women in your life do. :thumbsu:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.