1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Good pipe for under $50-60.00?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Beale, Apr 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beale

Beale Active Member

Being on a once a month Disability check I need to save money. Any suggestions for a good pipe for under $50.00 Range? I would prefer not to spend much more right now. Thanks in advance Beale.

2. woody

woody Aloha! Admin

If you're just getting started cobs are a great way to get a number of good pipes for not a lot of money. You can get Missouri Meerschaums for 5 bucks a piece.

3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I bought one for under 4 bucks today

4. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

Dr. Grabow is also a good name to start with. Got my first pipe almost a year ago for $26.00... so that would leave you a little extra $$ for Toby! :)

Happy Smoking and welcome to the forum
    Arty

5. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

Most mid-grade pipe makers offer something in this range. Check Cup O Joe's website for Peterson, Bjarne, Nodding,Invicta, and Savenelli (I've never purchased here, but they have a good selection ). I also recommend Dr Grabow Omega for about $30. Of course it's hard to beat cobs for both price and performance (and you'll have plenty left over for tobacco ).

6. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

If you think you'll be smoking a pipe more than once a day, you'd probably be better off with several. Woody is right, a MM cob is the best bet...actually, several are the best bet. If you have to have a briar, there are several ways about it. You can pick up a Dr. Grabow or Kaywoodie for under $40 bucks, and still grab a couple cobs...or you could get one of the name brand entry models for approximately $60...I'm thinking a Peterson Kapet line pipe, or one of Savinelli's budget models.
    A third idea is ebay...with judicious shopping, you can potentially pick up two, maybe three estate pipes for the money. It's your choice.

Regardless of your decision, there are gobs of fellows here willing to help you spend your money...have no worries on that!

Good luck!

7. Cobra

Cobra Member

Cupojoes is excellent to deal with. :thumb:

8. r0n54

r0n54 Member

You can even go to walgreens. I was in one yesterday and saw MM cobs for $5.65 and a Dr Grabow for $22.00, easy and cheap enough to buy several within your budget.

9. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Ebay is definitely a good place to look. I saw a Savinelli Punto Oro on there earlier today, and put it on my watch list. I missed the close of the auction, but it sold for about $26.00 plus shipping...to the only guy who bid on it. Wishing I had bid $27.00...

10. Beale

Beale Active Member

Thanks for all the help guys!! Now I know where to start. I did buy a pipe yesterday at my local JR's Tobacco store. It was a $15.00 pipe. Smoked a bowl last night. Wonderful smoke and the guy that sold it to me, really recomended a great tobacco! I enjoyed the smoke fully! Beale.

11. BD74

BD74 Member

I got a Dr. Grabow not long ago...I don't know if it is good...but I am more than happy with it.

12. woody

woody Aloha! Admin

I have 3 or 4 Dr Grabows and they are all good smokers. I like them.

13. Redone

Redone Member

Tell ya, my Peterson kapet is one great smoking pipe and "hey I smoke a Peterson" although a cheaper one, but its all I need and would pay for 70.00. I have a Graybow freehand and will only get Graybow's in the future for the most part,cheap, and smoke great too.

14. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

I have a couple savinelli duca carlos series pipes that are great smokers & I think they were about 45 bucks a piece. They are also good looking briars

15. woody

woody Aloha! Admin

Can't go wrong with a Savinelli. :puffy:

16. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

WV smoke shop has Grabows and Kaywoodies for $30 and under (some of their Grabows run $25 or less) which is great if you're on a budget. If you're looking for something a bit better, Smokingpipes.com has Peterson Kapets for $54 and change (I paid $46 for mine last year).

17. Old Briars

Old Briars New Member

EBCIII,

Dr Grabow is an excellent pipe. Nothing wrong with them. You can also get an estate pipe... I buy estate pipes all the time, clean them up smoke some, sell some.

Steve

18. Beale

Beale Active Member

Thank Y'all! I checked out the WV smoke shope. Nice pricing! I have been looking at estate pipes also. I see some I really like. What is a good cleaning method? Beale.

19. Old Briars

Old Briars New Member

Beale,

Get yourself a lot of pipe cleaners, q-tips, everclear, paper towels, a pipe reamer and kosher salt (if you are planning on cleaning estate pipes). Do a search on youtube, there are several helpful tips on cleaning.

Steve

20. Beale

Beale Active Member

Thanks! I will look them up, Beale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.