1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Got a Jeantet pipe as a gift

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by FrankG, May 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrankG

FrankG Member

Hi all!

My mother-in-law gave me two pipes for my birthday and i was wondering if you guy knew a little bit more than me about them.

The first one.

It's written "New London Golfer" on the side.

[​IMG]

Second one appears to be a Jeantet, a french pipe maker.

I've never seen a finish like that one, which make me wonder if that's briar.

[​IMG]

Here is a link to a complete album : http://imgur.com/a/83c5L

cobbsmoker likes this.
  2. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer Member

Can I borrow your M-I-L for my upcoming B-Day, FrankG? :beck:

The jeantet appears to be rusticated (could not see the pictures on your album), thus the lines.

3. FrankG

FrankG Member

Haha yeah she sure does not meet the usual mother in law stereotype

4. JayPipe

JayPipe Member

Mine does. What a freakin nightmare.

WrightwoodJohn likes this.
  5. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

The Jeantet is most likely briar, I don't know much about them but I believe Thompson cigar used to carry a few of them, maybe still do.

6. FrankG

FrankG Member

She bought them at an antique store. As far a I know, Jeantet doesn't make pipes anymore and it since been bought by Chacom.

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Jeantet is/was a rather good sized maker that produced other brands as well . Your pipe is briar and has what Kaywoodie call a fine line finish / rustication . Jeantet made cheaper pipes upwards to mid/high quality pipes . I have a Jeantet Meer lined that is a super duper pipe . You don't see the French mentioned much here but they make some very fine pipes . That New London Golfer is very pretty !

8. Terry292

Terry292 Member

For some info on the Jeantet pipes: http://pipedia.org/wiki/Jeantet

Can't help you with the New London Golfer though. It's probably a private label for a smoke shop. There used to be a small tobacconist in the New London Mall, New London, CT, back when I was stationed at Naval Submarine School.

9. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I'd say thats a pretty nice b-day present. I have a birthday coming up too---maybe I will start hinting around about suggestions to family members---it doesn't hurt I guess---even though those hints are going into deaf ears.:byg:

10. FrankG

FrankG Member

Thanks for the info!

The Jeantet smokes pretty well and i've already enjoyed some Virginia in it. The draught hole in the New london one is quite big though and i found myself puffing big chunk of tobacco.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.