1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Got hit with a case of PAD

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by YOJiMBO20, Apr 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

Last night I was looking at new pipes on smokingpipes.com and spied a beautiful Savinelli apple for $40 so I jumped on that. Ordered some FMOTT while I was at it.

Then today, I got out of class early and decided to head over to my old neighbourhood (where I work still) to take a look in the antique shops. Found a great looking poker (more of a cherrywood, really) but it was marked at $90. Then the lady in the store said everything was half off because they were moving, but $45 was more than I wanted to spend on a used pipe. I tried talking her down to $20, but we settled on $30. It's a no-name, carved briar that is currently get a salt and alcohol treatment as we speak.

It seems that every time I order a pipe online, I end up buying a pipe in person because I'm excited for a new pipe to come in.

Oh well...looking forward to smoking these.

ric03 and jmit like this.
  2. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

I think it must have something to do with a desire for instant gratification. More than once, I've ordered a couple hundred beans wo9rth of tobacco online and then hopped in the car to drive over to the local shop to buy a couple of other tins for 3X the price I'd have paid for them online.

Congrats on the new tobacco burning apparatus.

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Do know the feeling...and I'm always grateful that there's not a pipe shop tobaconists within 50 miles of Seahouses! Having just won a Doc Grabow Bent in immac condition, a Duncan Delta Bent ditto for buttons and a Falcon for £0.99 fron the Bay in the last few days, as they haven't yet arrived I know I'm at risk!

Best to all

Gerry

4. Redone

Redone Member

Don't I know it. I go to my local shop after work last night just to pick up a tin of Malthouse. I dont know if its good but i heard it has Scotch whiskey in it and I love that stuff..anyhoo, A guy was at the case saying he lost his pipe and was shopping for a new one which made me look also. I ended up buying a DiMonte Classica #993 a hard to find pipe I guess. I loved the shape and look and had to have it. I also walked out with a free bag of McB Vintage Syrian on the house. Note to self..stay out of baccy /pipe stores!

5. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

After a day of the S&A treatment, some toothpaste scrubbed on the stem, then cleaned and coated with olive oil, my new pipe is almost ready to smoke. Just gotta let it dry out...

6. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

[​IMG]
    The pipe.

[​IMG]
    Close up on one of the carvings.

[​IMG]
    Clenching.

7. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

Nice pipe there. Been wanting to get a similar shape myself. Ofc 'Shapes of pipes i want to get' is still a pretty long list. ;)

No before shots? Always nice to see how well something cleans up.

8. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

I didn't think to take before shots. When I was at the store getting some stuff, I grabbed a cheap, firm bristle toothbrush and some cheap toothpaste and started brushing the stem as soon as I got to the car. It wasn't heavily oxidized, but there was a bit of green at the transition from the button to the thin part.

9. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

The pipe's lovely - like the carving/rustication very much - enjoy in good health for many years and I hope it turns into a great smoker.

Me, I'll be haunting the Site Office to see if my stuff is in yet and have been to the local village "everything for A Pound" shop and picked up a pack of toothbrushes and a tube of Smoker's Toothpaste as I reckon it'll have fine grit in it.......

Happy smoking

Gerry

10. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

I used Arm and Hammer whitening toothpaste for the stem.

It was the cheapest toothpaste I could find, and it has baking soda and little microabraising crystals which it did a pretty good job of smoothing out the stem. I still might need to brush it some more, though.

11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

It looks good .. let us know how she smokes !

12. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

Finally getting a chance to smoke her. Breaking her in with my local B&M's house flake which they (quite correctly) call Tasty Flake.

13. slprl1

slprl1 Member

Great find, great looking pipe. If only the person in the picture looked as good as the pipe!:xd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.