Got me a tin of Dunhill EMP

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by homebrewer, Oct 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. homebrewer

homebrewer Member

After buying a pouch of H&H, (don't like it much)
    I bought a pouch of SWR, it was bone dry. I hydrated it, and gave it a try, didn't taste like much. Not sure if it was because it was old and stale or that's how it's supposed to taste. Thinking I might mix the H&H and the SWR?
    I had a bit of extra dough and I got a tin of EMP.
    Tried a small bowl in a cob , and WOW!:thu2:
    I don't know how else to describe this. It's got a flavor that I can't really pinpoint, but I like it.
    I was pretty determined not to get sucked into buying the pricey tins, but I think I just fell off that cliff.
    A couple of quick questions:
    I think I'm destined to try more of these English blends, should I try and set aside one pipe for them?
    I was thinking my lone briar?
    I was also thinking of buying a tub of Walnut, how does this compare to EMP?

2. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Oriental blends can be a funny thing (according to me). Although I can be kind of a swine when it comes to carefully dedicating pipes, I find orientals to be particularly pipe-sensitive. I don't exactly cram every kind of tobacco I smoke into one or two pipes but I have what some might call a reckless disregard for dedication-awareness.

Without showing my all my dirty laundry here, lets leave it at this: when I smoke an oriental that's new to me, it invariable starts out in a pretty-clean meerschaum pipe where I get a clear idea of the profile. From there it gets moved into one of a couple of medium-to-mild orientals only dedicated briars for comparison. If it shines like it did in the clay pipe, that's where it stays it; if not, I'll try it in a few other briars that only see latakia-content blends until it shines. If it never shines in briar, back to a meer. EMP, for me, is always smoked in an oriental-only meer. For some reason it's not-to-distant cousin, Rattray's Red Rapparee, does very well in one or two of my briars.

EMP has some sweet, subtle things going on (like many oriental blends). While I wouldn't pick a cob for EMP, smoke it where it tastes good to you and, if it seems to fall off, consider cleaning your pipe thoroughly. Or, down the road, consider a proper full-sized meer exclusively for english blends. dmkerr, willh and t-bear are all more meer-oriented that I am - they may have a better take on this.

Macion Grey and Mark w4mms like this.
  3. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

If you do get a new pipe, I'd like to suggest getting one with a fairly wide chamber (7/8-1") to really bring out the flavors of a good English/Balkan/Oriental blend. Not sure if it's in my head or not but it does seem to make a difference.

EMP is good stuff. It's one of my favorite morning smokes. Started today with a bowl as a matter of fact :puffy:

4. user1975

user1975 Active Member

EMP is one of my favorite Dunhill blends, I can smoke it all day.

5. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I get amazing smokes pairing up meerschaum with oriental & lat laden leaf.

Ed
    Puff

6. Beale

Beale Active Member

EMP ! Congrats! Awesome stuff! Cobs only please, Beale.

7. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

One of my faves!

Mark w4mms likes this.
  8. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

It's absolutely terrible stuff. You'll hate it. I sure would be dee-pressed to think how it had built your hopes up, only to dash them with its awfulness. So, just send it to me. I hate it, but I'd sacrifice one of my pipes to spare you the misery. See, it may be an awesome blend now, but that's just a trick to get you to drop your defenses...

9. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

If you think the current EMP is great (which it is), just try the original version, aged. It will blow your socks off.

10. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I just tried my first bowl of EMP. I must be doing something wrong. I didn't like it that much. I've had other English blend - HH Vintage Syrian and really liked that. Maybe I'll have to try in a different pipe or a couple more bowl fulls..?

11. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Never smoked EMP in a meer. Need to try that, I have a dedicated pipe that smokes wonderfully. Silly me for not opening my eyes to other possibilities!

Sean

12. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Moo has it in one. A meer will show you if you will like it or not, and an oriential dedicated briar is an option after that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.