1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Got me a tin of Dunhill EMP

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by homebrewer, Oct 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. homebrewer

homebrewer Member

Jun 13, 2011
    After buying a pouch of H&H, (don't like it much)
    I bought a pouch of SWR, it was bone dry. I hydrated it, and gave it a try, didn't taste like much. Not sure if it was because it was old and stale or that's how it's supposed to taste. Thinking I might mix the H&H and the SWR?
    I had a bit of extra dough and I got a tin of EMP.
    Tried a small bowl in a cob , and WOW!:thu2:
    I don't know how else to describe this. It's got a flavor that I can't really pinpoint, but I like it.
    I was pretty determined not to get sucked into buying the pricey tins, but I think I just fell off that cliff.
    A couple of quick questions:
    I think I'm destined to try more of these English blends, should I try and set aside one pipe for them?
    I was thinking my lone briar?
    I was also thinking of buying a tub of Walnut, how does this compare to EMP?
  2. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Scary Cow Moderator Moderator

Jun 10, 2009
    Oriental blends can be a funny thing (according to me). Although I can be kind of a swine when it comes to carefully dedicating pipes, I find orientals to be particularly pipe-sensitive. I don't exactly cram every kind of tobacco I smoke into one or two pipes but I have what some might call a reckless disregard for dedication-awareness.

Without showing my all my dirty laundry here, lets leave it at this: when I smoke an oriental that's new to me, it invariable starts out in a pretty-clean meerschaum pipe where I get a clear idea of the profile. From there it gets moved into one of a couple of medium-to-mild orientals only dedicated briars for comparison. If it shines like it did in the clay pipe, that's where it stays it; if not, I'll try it in a few other briars that only see latakia-content blends until it shines. If it never shines in briar, back to a meer. EMP, for me, is always smoked in an oriental-only meer. For some reason it's not-to-distant cousin, Rattray's Red Rapparee, does very well in one or two of my briars.

EMP has some sweet, subtle things going on (like many oriental blends). While I wouldn't pick a cob for EMP, smoke it where it tastes good to you and, if it seems to fall off, consider cleaning your pipe thoroughly. Or, down the road, consider a proper full-sized meer exclusively for english blends. dmkerr, willh and t-bear are all more meer-oriented that I am - they may have a better take on this.
    Macion Grey and Mark w4mms like this.
  3. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Jan 17, 2010
    If you do get a new pipe, I'd like to suggest getting one with a fairly wide chamber (7/8-1") to really bring out the flavors of a good English/Balkan/Oriental blend. Not sure if it's in my head or not but it does seem to make a difference.

EMP is good stuff. It's one of my favorite morning smokes. Started today with a bowl as a matter of fact :puffy:
  4. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Jun 16, 2011
    EMP is one of my favorite Dunhill blends, I can smoke it all day.
  5. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Mar 15, 2010
    I get amazing smokes pairing up meerschaum with oriental & lat laden leaf.

6. Beale

Beale Active Member

Apr 2, 2011
    EMP ! Congrats! Awesome stuff! Cobs only please, Beale.
  7. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Feb 20, 2011
    One of my faves!
    Mark w4mms likes this.
  8. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2011
    It's absolutely terrible stuff. You'll hate it. I sure would be dee-pressed to think how it had built your hopes up, only to dash them with its awfulness. So, just send it to me. I hate it, but I'd sacrifice one of my pipes to spare you the misery. See, it may be an awesome blend now, but that's just a trick to get you to drop your defenses...
  9. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2010
    If you think the current EMP is great (which it is), just try the original version, aged. It will blow your socks off.
  10. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

May 19, 2010
    I just tried my first bowl of EMP. I must be doing something wrong. I didn't like it that much. I've had other English blend - HH Vintage Syrian and really liked that. Maybe I'll have to try in a different pipe or a couple more bowl fulls..?
  11. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Never smoked EMP in a meer. Need to try that, I have a dedicated pipe that smokes wonderfully. Silly me for not opening my eyes to other possibilities!

12. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Nov 22, 2009
    Moo has it in one. A meer will show you if you will like it or not, and an oriential dedicated briar is an option after that.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.