1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Got some Jewel of St James Perique...any virginia blending recommendations?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Springer, May 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Springer

Springer Member

Hi all,
    I managed to score two ounces of Percy Martin's perique in an ebay auction. BTW...the guy still had some left last I checked. Was asking 22.00 a jar, unopened and sealed.

I love perique. Seems all the blends I smoke these days have some variant they call perique in them. Opinions are like, um...weeds, but I love the HH Acadian Perique a lot. Its a very busy tobacco but it works for me.

So...I want to try a simple VaPer blend. Any thoughts on what I might purchase to blend with it?

2. craig

craig Active Member

Simple vaper blend basically mix virginia perique ratio between 10 and 40% of the weight of virginia (50g of virginia 5 to 20g of perique) let it sit a week or so after blending and voila
    For something a little more complex i suggest adding a touch of latakia
    Perique and latakia work wonders together as you have the smokeyness of the lat and the spicyness of the perique
    Generally you only want a couple of grams of lat so it doesnt throw the perique off course
    Id say 1 to 4 grams again depends to your tastes

3. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

some 5100 for starters?
    OT

cobbsmoker and Mington like this.
  4. Springer

Springer Member

Thanks for the recipe! I think my desert island tobacco as I write this would have to be Dunhill Nightcap. Or Presbyterian. Those two seem to be what I want in flavor. I think am pretty sure that Nightcap has perique in it, not sure of Presby. I don't think it does.

I sort of wanted the Jewel of St James for the fact that Percy Martin was one of the last, if not the latest producer of true perique. Or so he said.
    I think D&R bought his farm to make sure that it was continued to be made like he made it.
    And I think the Natural American Spirits folks bought another farmer/producer out so that they would have their own exclusive and dependable source for St James perique.

5. Springer

Springer Member

It's done! I got a half-pound coming in the mail. And I bought an ounce of blending latakia too. My first "frankenblend" lol. Will let you know how it goes.

dBear, cobbsmoker and Old Ted like this.
  6. craig

craig Active Member

Night cap has perique in it as well as lats presby is just lats
    Never tried either but the perique and lat mixed with virginias you can make yourself is just absolutely out of this world

7. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

:th1:

8. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

9. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I have to agree with Virginia/Latakia & some Perique.
    I do not mean to steer to thread off topic--But since the River Road Tobacco Company is no longer--well is Percy Martin still growing the stuff or not? I know it seems that Perique--REAL Perique--is a rare thing these days.
    Many folks have told me that Kentucky tobaccos are being used and pressed in a simular process that Perique was.
    True St. James Parash Perique--many have told me that it is not readily available these days.

10. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

By the way Springer
    I grabbed the last two jars the seller had left.
    Although the Kentucky Green Burley is being used these days as a "faux" for perique. Well there is--NO--substitute in my mind for that wonderful St. James Parish Red Burly pressed into that wonderful "Perique".
    Sadly I believe that "true"& "real" spectacular tobacco may be a thing of the past. I could not find out any information. Percy Martin's Perique trully is, or was a jewel for sure.

Springer likes this.
  11. Springer

Springer Member

Hi Russell,
    I am of the same mind you are. I had been looking for a long time for it. He had been trickling some here and there. When I saw it I jumped on it. It's nice being able to smoke a bit of history, itsn't it? Glad that you were able to get some before he ran out. Enjoy!

12. Springer

Springer Member

I am pretty certain that the very last two producers of true St James perique sold their businesses. Percy Martin's operation if memory serves me correctly was bought by Natural American Spirit Tobacco company. Their entire production is now privatized for their perique blend cigarettes.
    I remember a bit of PR hoopla when they took over.
    L.A. Poche was the only other producer of St James perique. His operation was purchased by Mark Ryan of D&R tobacco. So they are still making it for their perique blends. I have no idea if they have plans to increase production and sell pure perique or simply use it for their blends.
    I was tickled to get a couple jars of the last of Percy Martin's tobacco. Just a bit of Americana now relegated to company farms and producers, like too many other things we used to make in the US.
    Seems like the only thing we as a country are still in high gear making these days is debt, sigh. Pretty sad!

13. Springer

Springer Member

Hey Russell,
    I hope you had better luck getting your perique from the guy on ebay than I did. I paid him two Sundays ago. Expected it by Friday of last week. Nothing. Checked Monday. Still nothing. Emailed him.

He said "I emailed you last Friday, check your spam folder. In my gmail account was list of a bunch of tobaccos he was selling.

I told him that was totally unacceptable. And to get it shipped immediately. I told him two weeks from NY via Priority Mail was absurd. And holding up shipment for over a week trying to market me things off-eBay pissed me off.

So I get a tracking number Monday. No status. Tuesday. No status. Wrote him back and said I want it by Saturday or else. He got on PayPal and refunded my money. So I think he sold it previously locally and was just stalling.

Best of luck getting yours! Let me know how you like it!

14. ShilohHollow

ShilohHollow Active Member

Well now that's disappointing!

15. Springer

Springer Member

Yeah, I know. Waited an entire week to email my private addy. And not to let me know when to expect it. Just to try and hawk more wares. With no mention of my purchase. Tracking numbers were bogus. Turned him over to ebay. And left him negative feedback.
    And I really wanted that Percy Martin Perique too. Sad!

16. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Bummer , man . If you happen to get some Perique , when you blend it .. start sparingly and add small amounts from there .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.