1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

got some mail

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by dubhdarra, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

so i ordered a sasieni fantail meerschaum off of the bay about a week ago, just got here today (came in from the uk so not bad ship time) falcon should be arriving tomorrow. also got another package from the UK. a certain scottish member with a particular fondness for pipes that look like part of a custom motorcycle was sending me an antique (and pretty darn cool) knife and seems to have accidentally dropped half the tobacco in the british isles in the bag with it by mistake. oops. nothing to be done but smoke it i guess.
    thanks gerry :bing:[attachment=790:IMG_3981.JPG]

2. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Gotta love the generosity of old timers and the hilarious European warning labels.

3. nobler son

nobler son Member

I love the Warnings. I feel more amused than chastened.

Ah, the little extras that result from mingling with generous folk. I just got a pipe from Rider, and he included a sample of tobacco. Have to say, this forum contains some of my favorite people.

4. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

OHHH Walnut Flake, 3 Nuns and St. Bruno....Dub sharing with your friends means caring :bing:

Gerry...nice hit!

5. Sasqets

Sasqets Member

Nice pipe, I was eyeing that one as well...:bing:

6. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Very cool! Tell us about the knife. Marlinspike, can opener, etc. Looks like a sailor's knife of some sort.

Gerry, that was really nice of you. Only thing is you got my address wrong. :suicide:

7. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

i just think it says something about gerry that he included a free gift with a... well... gift.

and rugs, get down to the NY pipe club meeting next week and you can try whichever ones you want. goes for anyone in the area.

as for the blade its a sheeps foot blade (razor sharp too, well maintained) a kinda can opener thing with some funky spikes on it i havent identified, and the marlin spike is about 1/4" round at the base. the knife is a military utility knife, marked colin winand 1951. i like it :)

8. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Anything else stamped on it? A.B.L?

9. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Got it in one Glen - ABL it says. Have had it for years - picked it up out of an army disposal shop when I was a teenager - my Dad said they were army issue at one time - he also said the Marlin Spike was a traditional holdover from the days of the horse being used by cavalry units and as a draft animal and the spike was for getting stones out of horses hooves. Don't know if he was right on that one.

As I don't use it anymore it just seemed that it should go to a knifesmith - as I've said I don't think we own old things we just get to be their stewards for a while.

As to the warnings on Brit and European tobacco - my favourite on pipe tobacco is as I've said before "Smoking While Pregnant damages the health of your unborn child!" - but then again you do see a lot of expectant mums running about with pipes in their mouths don't you?

Best to all

Gerry

10. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

the ABL was too big for me to notice. its kinda like how i walk into buildings because i'm trying not to trip over my feet.

either way its an awesome knife, i'm going to do a little cleanup on it today (and hopefully some more work on that straight razor). may have a hard time of keeping my boss from stealing it, he's obsessed with anything sharp and/or military, especially if its european!

i'll post pics when i have it a bit more cleaned up.

11. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

cleaned it up a bit today, took some grind marks out of it and cleaned what little pitting there was off, scuzzed out the inside of the liner (i can tell gerry was using it to cut up tobacco and that he has uncommonly linty pockets). she cleans up really nice, i've got it soaked in WD40 and hanging to drain now to get the action cleaned out, and will probably do this a few more times over the next few days, may go over the blade again with a finer paper as well. honed the edge a bit more and its back to smooth other than a little nick near the point. this is an incredibly well made knife!

12. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Gerry-

I love that bit of wisdom..."We don't own old things, but are merely stewards for a while..." or close thereof. How true! I gotta remember this saying for 'down the road'. Thanks.

-Kyle

13. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Guilty on the tobacco cutting - one of the many things I cut with that old knife was bar and plug tobacco, used it too for pipe reaming, fish gutting, gardening etc etc. On the linty pockets front I'm like Liam, I hate buying new clothes, have had my favourite jeans for at least six years - so yup they're linty!

By the way I've read that Pipesmokers were particulary welcomed by Hostesses in the large country houses in the 30's as their pockets were full of pipes, lighters, tobacco pouches and the rest of the tools of the trade - so no one had to worry about them pocketing the family silver!

And finally well made old things with care will last you out - I've just had the shoulders on my Dad's gold watch rebuilt as they were nearly through and that'll be it for another 53 years with a bit of luck - he bought it to celebrate surviving WW 2 - as I say we just get to be stewards for a while,

Best as aye

Gerry

14. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

well you did a good job keeping it gerry, the thing was in stellar condition when it arrived compared to what i'm seeing on knife collecting sites and ebay (don't worry, not selling the little guy, just looking at other restoration jobs), and now its shined scrubbed and oiled, it may see some use on tobacco, but even though i'm sure it could take it i think it won't be seeing daily use, its a little too distinguished for that now its survived better than half a century.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.