1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

got to have a falcon....

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by expatpipe, May 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. expatpipe

expatpipe Member

so, its done. i've given in to the urge and ordered a 'falcon pipe of the year 2010' set for an irresistably good price on ebay.
    after reading, with a glint in my eye, all of gerry's wonderfull falcon stories, the praise of so many others, the cult and history... brings back memories of growing up in britain (sniff).
    anyway, i'm new to pipe smoking and have a couple of good smokers, but you know how it is. there's always one missing...
    waiting in anticipation,

paul

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Congrats on caving! You won't regret it...unless your main reason is to make other pipers swoon. (Lookers, they ain't.)

3. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I've had a case of Falcon envy lately, especially since I learned that they were born here in Fort Wayne, so I'm going to have to address that soon.

4. jmit

jmit Member

I have 4 straights so far. All great smokers and very easy to clean. I have my eye on a bent International.

5. Marc

Marc Active Member

Paul, welcome to the Falcon community! I have certainly enjoyed my Falcon's over the years and now they are pretty much all I smoke on a regular basis, they make excellent flake pipes.

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

Don't be disappointed if the bowls show some fills - I have seen plenty of these sets with them. The bowls will darken over time with use and the fills will become less noticeable.

Don't again be disappointed if your new Falcon initially smokes hot and wet - this will quickly pass!

After that you've up to 30 good years with them to look forward to!

Welcome to the club!

Gerry

7. Marc

Marc Active Member

Like Gerry said, bowl break in can be discouraging at first but when they come around you will certainly enjoy smoking your Falcon pipe!

8. Beale

Beale Active Member

Congrats on your new Falcon! Enjoy it, Beale.

9. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Pretty soon this board will need to be re-named.....'The Falcon Owners Club' :xd:

10. Marc

Marc Active Member

Sign me up!:th1:

11. Iain

Iain Active Member

Another new Falcon fan here too! I got a ‘Falcon Pipe of the Year 2010’set yesterday, straight stem with a curved easy grip mouthpiece. I’m really pleased with the quality and the balance of it.

Iain

12. Marc

Marc Active Member

E
    Enjoy!

13. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Cor! I didn't even realise I was in
    a cult. :bag: At least, it's a notable
    one. Enjoy your Falcons, Paul!

dp

14. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Now.... if I could just as easily get you all convinced that the Ford Edsel was actually one of the most beautiful cars ever produced and we lobbied all makers to bring back the pointed tail fins on every car in the world - I'd be happy!

Happy smoking

Gerry

15. expatpipe

expatpipe Member

the only car i remember having pointed tail fins was the ford anglia, and you'd be hard pushed to find anyone call that beautiful. perhaps if it was rereleased as the ford falcon....

16. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

You don't have to convince this guy - check out the renderings of the unreleased Edsel Corsair ('62); screams luxury!

I'll also happily sign anything to bring back tail-fins - nothing better then the back end of a 50's-60's Belair, Caddy, T-bird, etc. etc.

Expat; some of the Pre-1950 Anglia models certainly are beautiful...like a smaller version of the classic US Ford models...kind of like the Corvette vs. the Opel (baby Vette)...I would love to find one (Anglia - around a '45 E04A) resto-ready, but they are anything but commonplace on this side of the Atlantic. The Falcon was a line which Ford (US) was producing at the same time as Ford (UK) was producing the Anglia line, and yeah, they are about as rare as dirt in North America...a bonus for me, as I was able to pick up a '65 for a song as a parts car for my Mustang rebuild.
    If I'm not mistaken, they stopped manufacturing new Falcons for the N.A. market in around '90, but I believe Ford (Aus.) still runs the model line.

17. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

Nice choice on the Falcon. I've been hemming and hawing for two years and have yet to get off the fence. The more I read and look at them, the more I'm incrementally nudged to take the plunge. If only I was more decisive. It just isn't my nature. Let us know how you like it.

Cheers,
    WK

18. expatpipe

expatpipe Member

it's arrived! straight, standard stem with smooth dover and dublin bowls. cost: 35 euros with free postage from an ebay seller, which judging by the prices i've seen for bowls in the uk, seems to be about the price of 2 bowls without a stem.

first of all, i'm impressed. really impressed. i'm still in the breaking in phase for the two bowls, and as i was warned, it is tasting a bit on the weird side. however, it feels great in the hand, smokes wonderfully, and i'm finding the post smoke cleaning to be pretty convenient (quicker turn around). on the subject of cleaning, i was a bit concerned about having to use falcon pipe cleaners, which i would have to order as they're not locally available. it turns out that i needn't have worried - standard pipe cleaners work just fine.

another thing that's impressed me is how easy it is to smoke flakes in this pipe, particularly in the dublin bowl which is a little smaller than the dover. i've been having real trouble trying to fold, roll and stuff etc in a small reconditioned estate pipe with a meerschaum insert which i got primarily to try flakes. i gave up in the end and rubbed them out, which worked fine. on an impulse, i stuffed half a slightly loosened flake (mb navy) into the dublin bowl and had immediate success. i can see this being a long fulfilling friendship.

now to start looking for the next bowl.....

paul

19. Marc

Marc Active Member

I particularly find the Falcon pipe a grand pipe for smoking flakes... enjoy the Falcon experience, it only gets better!

20. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I'm with Marc...I've had nothing but good luck with flakes in a Falcon.

Enjoy the experience!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.