Gotta Tries

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Matt, Mar 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt

Matt Member

So, I've been making my way through the maze that is pipe tobacco, and I'm thinking there are some gotta tries that I've read about that I plan to acquire shortly, but I'd like to have as many of them on my list as possible so I can make the most out of shipping.

So far, I have:

Balkan Sasienei
    Presb. Mix
    Kingsisher
    Pelican
    Orlik Golden Sliced
    Solani 633
    Reiner Golden Label
    Peterson Irish Flake and Old Dublin
    WO Larsen Old Fashioned

I'm not looking for recommendations on stuff like McC, SG, GH, C&D, GLP etc. cause I've already done that and been there. I'm looking for the obscure, out of the way, classic blends that I've been missing so far.

Not that there's anything wrong with the above, just I've been looking for something new. I'm currently working through the C&D burley blends f.Y.i.

Thanks for all the help I'm sure to receive.

Matt

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Ennerdale Flake.

Grouse-Moor.

Dark Twist.

Commonwealth.

Blatter Reserve.

Hartwell Chesdin Mixture.

Scottish Flake and Scottish Cake from McConnell

3. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

I completely agree with Old Dublin! You may also want to add mixtures from the following blenders (check out their products on tobaccoreview):
    - Davidoff e.g. Royalty
    - James Fox e.g. Dorisco
    - Robert Lewis e.g. Orcilla
    - Mac Baren e.g. Solent

4. Matt

Matt Member

Whoa yeah, thanks especialy for the James Fox and Robert Lewis ideas. Have to add something of theirs to the next order, though Dorsico sounds a little heavy. Recommended though?

Blatter and Hartwell, are those tinning companies? Small mixing houses? Something I can still find somewhere in bulk or in tins? I'm not averse, certainly, to smaller scale operations. I think my favorite tobacco right now (somewhat despite myself) is Anniversary Kake. Sasquatch, I did pick up some Red Rapparee though on your recommendation. I'll open that soon, no doubt, though I'm inclined from other posts I've read to give it some generous time before trying it. Maybe I should buy another tin to store...

Matt

5. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

I had never heard of Dorisco before... so it may truly be one of those obscure blends that you're looking for.

But then a friend of mine paid a visit to the JJ Fox store in London and brought me home a tin, and what can I say... I'm hooked! Yes it is heavy on the flavor, which is fine by me as I switched to pipes from cigars.

If you want to try a milder VaPer-Latakia blend, Epiphany from C&D might be the ticket, I haven't tried it yet, so do check out the reviews on PSF, I think I've seen some good comments around here somewhere.

6. Twitch

Twitch Member

Epiphany is very nice if you want a strong aromatic. Lots of great rum and vanilla flavor, the one note I couldn't pick up was the tobacco.

Also, Mac Baren Club Blend is very nice. Tastes like a nice strong cup of good coffee to me, creamy and with just a bit of sweetness to round it out.

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Mick McQuaid Plug ... if you can find it

8. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Hartwell is a Brand, have a look at 4noggins.com. EDIT Sorry the full name is Benjamin Hartwell.

Blatter and Blatter is a little shop in Montreal. They sell if you phone them. It's worth it, taxes and all.

Club Blend is a secret Twitch. Don't be givin' out my secrets!!!

9. Matt

Matt Member

>>for Sasquatch: Unfortunately, Club Blend is no longer a secret...at least to those that read this internet forum. I can give you some level of comfort in that I'm not interested. At least for now.

On a more public level, hopefully the uncovering of favorite blends doesn't mean that they're hard to find for very long; hopefully it means that they're more popular and therefore more widely distributed. Hopefully? I think so.

Matt

10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I just don't know. There seems to be tremendous demand for Dunhill tobacco and yet it is all but non existent. I certainly hope that by mentioning Club Blend in every post enough people will try it, keeping Mac Baren convinced of world demand, and thereby boosting production, all of which I will horde.

11. piper965

piper965 Member

Really reading your fav tobacco on under your picture gave the secret away. :scratchchin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.