Grabow omega stem question

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by puma4440, May 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puma4440

puma4440 Guest

Hello all,

I purchased a Grabow Omega this morning, and I can't seem to get the stem out. Should I be able to on this model? It also sounds like there is a ball bearing rolling around in the stem, anybody have any information?

Thanks,
    Puma4440

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Try putting the pipe in the freezer for a few minutes, it will shrink the stem enough to come out. you probably hearing the filter rattling around inside.

3. Marc

Marc Active Member

Be careful removing the stem, it can snap off at the shank band and yes the installed filter will rattle a little until you draw through the pipe a few times.

4. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

Turn as you pull, that is what I did to mine when I got it...also happen to be smoking it right now

5. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Puma, any luck? Marc was right that a few of us have had these stems break off. Nothing to be paranoid about and probably not so much of a danger with a brand new pipe, just something to watch for. A little clockwise twist should do the trick, especially with Jesla's hint. When you put it back in just be careful not to insert it too tightly. I used to twist mine (the one that broke) in pretty tightly; I think it was this repeated wrenching that eventually led to the break. With the replacement stem I've always just pressed it straight in, not too tight, then twisted out.

6. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

I have a question about the Omega......anyone else have a problem with the spike end of the tool not fitting all the way through the air hole?

7. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

??
    Can you be more specific? Do you mean the reamer on a czech tool? Not going all the way into the chamber through the shank?

8. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

Yes to all of the above

9. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Hmm... No, the reamer should go through. You may have to angle it a little bit, and there might be a lip or something it could catch on down there, but you should definitely be able to get it into the bowl.

10. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

I cannot, so I use a pipe cleaner and that gets dirty very quickly, as if I need to say! But thanks just the same

11. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

When is the best time to use the Pipe Cleaner? Right as soon as you're done puffing, or should you wait for it to cool down?

Mark w4mms and sarge564 like this.
  12. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

I've always been told to let it cool so the ahs clumps together and you get more out.

13. pied piper

pied piper Member

I just found your post again. Before I joined the forum I had that problem with my New Omega pipe. Followed your suggestion and, voilĂ , it's
    fixed. I just searched for the question and I wanted to say, thanks!

14. sarge564

sarge564 Member

I run a pipe cleaner in mine a few times during the smoke. Steam cleaning? Maybe. But it seems to keep the moisture out and tasting fresh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.