1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Granddad's pipe and watch

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Iain, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iain

Iain Active Member

I visited my Grandmother today to look through some old family photo's, she's got pictures as far back as my Great-Great Grandfather and member's of the family who fought in WW1. We got to talking about my Granddad who passed away a couple of year's ago, I don't remember him smoking a pipe, just RYO cigarette's, but apparently he had a few pipe's at one time and smoked them regularly. So far we've found one of them, in excellent, well cared for condition just with a very strong Condor ghost, not a problem I like Condor :byg: The brand on it is Darvill and I think it's a nylon stem, it'll be cool if the others turn up.

[​IMG]

We also came across his pocket watch, seems fairly modern, I don't know much about 'em but I've always wanted one, it's cool to have one that belonged to him first.

[​IMG]

qwik, Wicklow, IrishRover and 2 others like this.
  2. Tanman

Tanman Member

That's what it is all about; family and passed down memories. The pipe and the watch look to be in pristine condition.

IrishRover and Mark w4mms like this.
  3. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

What a great family treasure. Cherish and enjoy them!

BradNTX and Mark w4mms like this.
  4. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

What a treasured blessing. My father just gave me the ship's colors from the Navy Ship my Grandfather sailed on during WWII. My Granddad stole it when he left. LOL Family heirlooms are so cool.:D

Mark w4mms likes this.
  5. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

That's great! Nce pipe and excellent watch! I have a few heirlooms. I think it's great to have something to link us to our family's past.

6. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Nice couple of family heirlooms you got there. They both look as good as new. Congrats!

7. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

That is really neat.

8. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

Sweet, gotta love it when family history comes back into something that you love as well.

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Very very very cool

10. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Excellent! I love this sort of thing, and I hope my grandchildren think my pipes are as cool as you do your grandfathers.

11. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Great finds! Your granddad had style, and now you can too!

12. Jay

Jay Active Member

Super cool. Watches and pipes from gramps are the best!

13. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

That is waaaaaay cool! When my grandfather passed, he left half a carton of Salems and a Timex with a broken band.

14. CrosbyPipes

CrosbyPipes Member

I love seeing stuff like that.

15. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

My Grandpa had an old ornately carved meer - depicting scenes from the Crimean war, always fascinated me as a kid. When he departed, an older, distant cousin grabbed it - before my Dad!.....the b*+^#>* sold it to an antique dealer!:mad:
    OT
    ps.....he used to grow, and make his own pickles - onions etc.....Daddy got the recipies, that's how I became a 'good ole FART'! :)

Jayson H Bucy likes this.
  16. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Sweet winder!! Love old watches like that!
    The pipe is a beaut as well! Great heirlooms!

17. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Awesome! The watch looks like one my dad has. Not for the pocket but it would button through the hole on his lapel for his suit jacket and then slip into that pocket. Brought back some memories! I will have to show it to him.
    Funny what matters. My dad gave me his tin dog tags from when he was in the MP's. Those two pieces of tin mean more to me than any gold, silver or cash.

18. dbwittkopf

dbwittkopf Member

that is very cool i wish i had some heirlooms from my gdad but all i have is memories better than nothing

MakDragon likes this.
  19. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I remember going out to the landfill years ago to toss out some old shrubs, and looking over and seeing a basket lying on the ground at the foot of this heap of rubbish. It was unusual and ornate, I couldn't resist walking over to look at it.

It was filled with old packages of needles, threads, sterling silver thimbles and scissors made in England. Someone really loved and cherished this sewing basket.

It was kind of surreal, actually. I could almost see her there, sewing away. And her beloved basket now lying in a landfill.

Very few people these days have that sentiment of the past. Cherish your Granddads pipes. I'm sure he did. He would be proud to know you appreciate them.

Very few things get passed on in the disposable world we live in.

MakDragon likes this.
  20. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

They're the things that fires, floods, earthquakes, etc. cannot take away from us and in the end, that's all we'll really have and be able to take with us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.